Apple Snails Do Eat Plants.

OLDFISH

Pomacea bridgesii Food: Prefers dead and rotting plants and artificial foods like fish food; doesn't eat healthy plants unless no other food is available.

This makes the Pomacea bridgesii snail a good choice for planted aquaria.

My planted shrimp tank (20G tall) has 5 nickel sized around apple snails in it.

I'm finding out, they do eat healthy plants.

The cunundrum:

I feed the shrimp plenty to eat (fine diced faux crab, cocktail shrimp & algea wafers).

But, the snails make a bee line for any food bits over 1/16th inch & crowd out the shrimp (like bulldozers) & gobble down that food (fast).

To help the shrimp get their fair share, I now mince the food to near powder size & scatter it in the tank.

So, the shrimp can find tiny tiny bits & have a meal, before the snails find it.

Trouble is now, the snails are munching down on the healthy plants like hedge trimmers.

I cannot feed the 5 snails enough to keep them from doing that, without the possibility of lowering the perfect water quality the shrimp must have to thrive.

So, I think I will remove 3 of the 5 apple snails (to unplanted 100G tall) & see how that goes.

(100G has several fair sized long finned comets in it)

If the 2 remaining snails in the shrimp tank still eat the healthy plants, they go to to the big unplanted tank too.

Live & learn, I gather.

That is correct if the snails are hungry they well eat the live plants.

You should also try some zucchini, cucumbers and summer squash with your snails mine love it.

Soften it but don't cook it to much it falls apart. Tie to rock and put in tank right before lights out remove in the morning.

Good advice & I should have thought of something like that.

Have all 3 growing in the garden, & will do.

I gather, one could just microwave the veggies in a bit of tank water to soften them.

Allow to cool, thread on a bottom weighted mono fishing line & use that as nifty delivery & removal device.

Thanks, never had snails before, except unwanted ones that came in on plants.

That is not really normal. Are you sure it was the snail? There are fish that well do that and even sometimes lack of minerals in the water well make plants look munched on. Like not enough iron well put holes in your plants.

This is why I started using Trace on my two planted tanks. Some of my larger leafed plants were looking ratty cause of holes. It is taking time to see an improvement but I think it is working. I have apple snails in just one of my planted tanks the other only has trumpet snails they both had the holes thats why I suspected something else was going on.

Maybe he was an exception, but yes I'm quite sure it was him. I watched him bee line to the plants and eat them. Maybe it was the particular variety I had, they could have been extra tastey or something.

On an unrelated note Hidr, I've been using Flourish Excel in my heavily planted tank and found it has helped them look more green and healthy. I don't use the recommended doasage though, it's pretty high, I go with about half of what it calls for.

Ya I use that too every other day or so. I use a little more then the recommended amount. It helps keep algae at bay. Just stated using trace about four weeks ago.

278740567_o.jpg

Giving blanced zuccini a try.

Cut a small ceramic tile as a weight & drilled a hole through it for the line to go through.