Missing Scales

Poago

Gooood afternoon -

I have two fantail goldfish in a tank together, and I am 99% that one is male (Benny) and the other is female (Juno). Benny, has, since I got the two of them (at the same time) always followed Juno EVERYWHERE. Never left her side. The first spring after I got them, Benny was chasing Juno and bumping her tummy, which I learned was most likely spawning behavior. This is my second spring (I think?) since I bought them, and this time Juno has lost several scales. The only change I've seen is that instead of rolling her eyes at Benny and saying "puh-leez" she started chasing him right back and they will swim around each other in circles and all over the place. She is now missing a couple of scales from her sides, and quite a number off the base of her tail where her fins come out. I can't see if Benny is missing scales because most of his scales are matt.

Could the spawning behavior cause the scale loss? I was having trouble with Nirates but I've got it under control now. It just seemed such an odd pattern that most were missing from the base of her tail on both sides, in a group. If I have not seen eggs (which I haven't), should I be concerned about Juno getting egg-bound? :unsure: This has probably been going on sporadically since April? When the weather warmed up (I do not use a heater over the winter, so it gets as low at maybe 66 in the tank, and then in the spring it jumps up closer to 70 ot 72).

It's best to wait for the more knowledgeable people to say something about this, but I can give some clues from personal experience: we have one large female comet (Godzilla) and 5 smaller male commons/comets in a single large tank, and both the males and the female tend to loose some scales every so often when the males are giving Godzilla more attention than she would care to receive :krazy: . They grow back after a while though. So at the moment, judging from the places you describe they're missing some scales, I'd suggest you not worry too much. Just keep your eye on them and let us know if there's any change ;) .