Temperature For Aquarium.

Guest LemonLily

Guest LemonLily

My dad always says it is better to make it warmer than too cold because koifish live in warm places. True, or not true? With the fish and the bleeding fin, I did some research and found that warmer water can make them heal faster. But I also want them to have a good amount of oxygen. What are the temperatures of water for koifish to live in? To keep them healthy, I will try and learn more things. And yes, I've had them for many years but I would like to know more and specific things about them because when I was little, I didn't know how to use the computer for research.

Koi are a (colored) common carp. Although they can live in warm places. They are a coldwater fish that can live in water that freezes over in the winter.

Koi/carp live in temps beween 60F - 80F. But they can handle temps in the 30's and in the 90's.

Do I understand you right, LemonLily - your koi is in an aquarium, not a pond? How long have you had the fish, and how bis is his housing?

An aquarium is not really a place for a koi - he belongs in a pond. A koi will get HUGE, with 1 1/2 to 2 feet easy. Plus, a koi will not be happy in a tank. After a while, he will get restless and start destroying whatever decor is in the tank.

Guest LemonLily

Well yes. I don't have a pond to put it in and I've had it for around 7 years. I understand it would have been a lot bigger in a pond but I really love my koi and I want to watch them grow. There's no pond for them. The aquarium is 32 gallons, I think. But there's 5 koifish in there and one pleco. I know the aquarium is small, but I can't afford to buy a bigger tank nor seen any.