Help! 911!

grain

Have you HP'd the bubble? Has it grown?

say what now? :unsure:

no aquarium salt in there now, just epsom. i removed the aq salt before adding epsom.

i have like a billion things on hand except Maracyn, which is probably what i will need. waiting for trinket on what meds if any to try.

I've added some melafix to hopefully help with the belly wound issues. i have no clue what the black is from, as any time i have ever had a black mark on my fish, it disappeared within a few days, but this is different, there are more and they are getting blacker as the days go on. I feel so helpless. I dont think i could bear it if he doesnt make it :( he's my little buddy...the little orange fella that's been adding happiness to my days for the past 7 years...this is awful :cry1

Edited by grain

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you HP'd the bubble? Has it grown?

say what now? :unsure:

Hello Grain, I am so sorry that your fish has such a terrible time. I would think to wait for Trinket on the suggested treatment. I just thought I'd help you out on the HP question. HP is hydrogen peroxide, that you usually can use to desinfect an open wound. It pretty much strips off everything of the wound, including healing tissue. Thats why its only recommended to use it once, and then let the healing take its course. So, if you have HP at hand and a q-tip, dip the q-tip into the HP, hold your fish gently with the head out of the water (where the bubble is), and just dap it CAREFULLY on there. In case of the head, I would rather not soak the q-tip entirely in the HP, because if you get that stuff into his eyes or the gills, that will be terrible. So, hold the fish rather vertical out of the water when you dap. That way, any accidental run off wil be down the fish's dorsal fin, not the eyes or the gills. Or upside down, so the runoff will be right back into the water past the fish's nasal area. Just a little on the q-tip will go a long way this time. Just gentle.

Btw, I honestly don't think that the Melafix won't do much good with such a red, irritated area. A little scrape maybe, but not such an issue.

Btw, that "bubble" looks more like a wart to me. When you touch it, how does it feel? Soft and liquid filled like a bubble, or rather hard and warty? :unsure: Is the black just on the bubble, or also the surrounding area?

The black on the rest of his body looks to me like a reaction to the salt, like mentioned above somewhere. However, the black on the bubble looks different. It is the only bubble on his body, yes? :unsure:

ok, i thought she meant the peroxide, but i wasnt sure. the "bubble" is acutally a tumor, which isnt the issue directly at hand. Gill has had a few tumors for many years now, it isnt an open wound or anything like that, just a growth from within. it started turning black about 6 months after it started to form (it started in october 2005).

-triknet & i have worked on the tumors alot, but thats a different story, they havent had any "negative" health effects on him thus far...so after years of trying many treatments, we have concluded that they are just tumors that some fish get.

the tumor on the head is the main one which has always been black... the black on the back of his tail and other places on him is the new blackness that have just formed. I dont want to use HP on the belly though.

-Looking at it just now, the redness has gone away a tiny bit, so this is good news. its still bad, but better than yesterday. could the epsom salt be irritating him that badly? or could it be from sitting on the bottom? (i have a bare bottom tank) if the salt could be hurting him, should i do another water change today to remove the rest of it?

-also...is it OK to give him a pea now and then to help him poop even though he is eating the metro meds? if i dont give him the pea, he doesnt poo properly. I dont want to negate the effects of the metromeds, but I also dont want to constipate him.

Edited by grain

How long on mms? Not supposed to feed anything but mms......but if he starts getting floaty???

As for bottom sitting and redness.....hey that I have dealt with! :) If the redness is getting better...this is good. I have hp'd and biobandaged before with permanent bottom sitters. Usually the aquarium salt heals it up real quick...but if I just notice it and it is really red I do a quick swipe (one time) and add salt. it usually clears up in a few days.

However, that picture to me is showing way more than a scrape. Salt will turn the pigment in the skin to darken, but it usually lightens once the salt is removed. I don't think the salt is hurting him...just causing pigment changes. Not causeing the red.

Can you tank another pic to compare...I know I just am a pain...I want to see what it is I am trying to picture in my brain! :heart

This is it now:

DSC02094.jpg

much better than yesterday! (so much improvement! i'm thinking that maybe the melafix actually did help? i dunno, but i added another dose today when i got home from work, and from then till now, it has gotten alot better!)

-however, his other symptoms are still bad. one thing that is worrysome to me is his eyes. why would they sink in like they have?

you can kind of see it in this picture: (sorry about the algae on the tank, it wont come off)

DSC02106.jpg

Edited by grain

That is soooo much better! :)

I am sorry, how long on the mms? I just remember Sue saying they didn't seem to be working? Perhaps between the two something started to work? I don't know. I just want to cover all our bases.

Hang in there. He looks soo much better!

just a few days on the med food. he had been on it for a month previously due to beginning dropsy sypmptoms. then i had him off them for a week or two when this started. so i put him back on sometime after i started this thread. so not long.

Grain are you there? Please. please finish the Metromeds course. I really think that's what is helping here. He is a HUGE strong fishy (and boy I remember his tumor issues some years back) and that heavy big body sitting on the bottom is going to cause a lot of redness. It is in the exact place he is sitting.

I would't HP that. I would instead WIPE clean the bottom of your tank...so clean it sparkles. The sides don't matter but the bottom does when a fish is grounded.

I don't think this is as bad as it looks (given his history and age) He can pull through this. Sticking to the filter was the worst part, bottom sitting is 5 steps up and better than that. He needs time. He needs to finish his meds and he needs extra AIR in there if you can get another bubbler in.

His eyes are not really sunken. They are however covered over in a film and his body is slightly swollen making them look sunken. I think the MMs should help that some in due course. Give him 30 days on them. I also think he is constipated so up the epsom to double what you have there now. Absolutely no more than that. Feed masses of MMs (he is bigger than average) - he should poop with the sheer volume of food going in. Stay off the peas a few days more and try over feeding the MMs instead.

Hope to hear back soon!

Stay off the peas a few days more and try over feeding the MMs instead.

Interesting!! Never would have thought of that.

I'm glad the red is going down. He looks a million times better today. : )

Please. please finish the Metromeds course.

I'm sorry for the bad info regarding the MetroMeds. (suggesting you might want to switch) You said you gave them for a full 30 days and only were off them for like a week before starting up again, so I honestly didn't think it would be an issue to stop them. I guess I sort of condisidered these last few days as an extension of the course. My bad (this is why we always say "let's wait for Trinket" LOL)

No worries, I havent stopped the metromeds, i just fed 1 pea one time to help him poo. I will still continue the metromeds. This morning, his belly is almost 100% free of the red!! yay!! :) he is still bottom sitting though.

Trinket, is it possible that the epsom salt could irritate him at all? from what happened, it seemed that as soon as i upped the salt to 1/2tsp per 5 gallon, the red appeared the very next day. then soon as i changed half of the water, it started going away. is there maybe anything else that I could try to reduce his swelling? Also, any thoughts on what is causing the black marks? they are all still there and just as dark as ever with no signs of going away. :unsure:

Do you know your gH/kH?

Epsom is not so good in high gH. It can interfere with water chemistry which is why low doses are best.

Stop the epsom if he reacts immediately of course.

How is he today? Do you want to try something else medication wise? Any red today? Bottom sitting or not?

well, the kh took 3 drops to turn colors, so that says it is 53.7ppm.

now, the gh...well thats a good question. the test water is supposed to turn orange after the first drop, and of course it turned a pale yellowish color. then after each drop just got darker. it never turned green which is supposed to be the end point. even after 40 drops. i repeated both tests multiple times. got the same for the kh each time. so either the gh is off the charts, or the test is very inaccurate. i do have calcium deposits all over the place on the lids to my tank though, and we do have hard water here...i just dont know how hard.

oh, and also, he is doing very well today :) the red is all gone!!!!!!! he is swimming a it more, but still bottom sitting. the black is still there, and seems to be getting worse. but he still loves to eat! what medication would you suggest if any?

My thoughts. Nothing now. Except those metromeds. Any time you are seeing improvements then stick to what you are doing! It means something is working!!! In my opinion trying a new medication now is not needed since things are taking a turn in a GOOD direction. The red going away, his more active behavior and eating well are all EXCELLENT EXCELLENT things and I would not change a thing right now if it were me. If Imo suggests any differently follow her word over mine of course (she taught me everything I know for the most part) but I think she will agree about this.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the black spots.. What exactly caused them is still uncertain, but generally you will only see those spots if something that WAS bothering them is NOT anymore and they are healing. I had two fish with them recently. ONe time it was from a medication and more recently a fish got them after I had salted his tank to only 0.1% (And he's been in 0.3% before with no issue). The black coincided with me taking the salt OUT.

I'm really happy he is doing a bit better today :rolleyes:

Thank you! I am feeling the same about the meds as well, its just the swelling and the black that has me worried.the reason i am mainly so worried about the black is that it is not going away and i've never seen that happen before. he is such an old little guy, I really dont know what I would do without him.

I think I will take the tank divider down for a little while as he is dying to get over to swim by his friend. i guess a little exercise and company wouldnt hurt him! I will put it back up at night, as i think that is when shubunkin ate his tail before.

Just an update, Gill's belly is all better except a little black, but no more red! he still has the other black marks though. But he is swimming alot more, and sitting alot less! His eyes are still sunken or his face is still swollen...whatever the deal is there. But over all, he is doing better!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! So does Gill! He is looking even better today. When I came home from work, he was swimming around searching for food! :happydance