First Post- Buying Orandas Online- Question About Dealer

Guest Love_Orandas

Guest Love_Orandas

Hello all,

My name is Cammy, and this is my first post here. I really really love this site, and it's really helped me get my stuff together. For the first time since I was 15, I'm trying again for a goldfish tank. And, not just any gold fish, Orandas are my passion. My boyfriend thinks they look like baby aliens, but I adore them. ;-)

I have encountered some issues with finding the fish that I want (of which I promise to post pictures when babies arrive).

Since this aquarium is my personal fun project, I want some very specific things. After doing some looking around, I've found that I want a red and white oranda, a blue oranda, a panda oranda, and a black and red oranda. And of course, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I want fish that are 3 inches or under, because for me, part of the pleasure is watching them grow up to be large and beautiful goldfish.

None of the pet stores have the fish I'm looking for. So, I've resigned myself to purchasing them online. I found one online shop called "River Wonders" and was wondering if anyone else had gone there, and if they had, what experiences that they'd had.

The shipping cost is crazy, but due to the fact that I have to save up for the fish. The good thing about that is it will allow me to get the tank set up and running for a while before the babies arrive. I think that's best, anyway.

So, there is my question- where is a good place to buy online? I'm hoping that you all will say that River Wonders is a good place, because they have what I want all in one place.

Guest Love_Orandas

Gosh, I keep thinking of more questions, LOL!!!

1) Is there a difference of the colors of orandas regarding health and behavior?

2) In regards to fish who were shipped, what is the best way to introduce them to the tank? Is there anything special I should know, other then having lots of stress coat available?

I'll probably think of more questions. Again, thanks!!!

I am going to leave the other questions to someone else but i can give you a good link for goldfish in Hawaii with good shipping. I have seen people on here have good luck through them. Have fun.

Rain Garden

Don't really have any advice on the online stuff, but I can sympathize, I have gone on goldie quests before (once drove two hours to a petstore in the hopes that they would have good goldies). I would recommend as an alternative going to a hole in the wall fish store, chatting up the owner and seeing if you can special order some of the goldies you seek.

Couple questions and thoughts of my own:

1) So with four orandas you are going to be housing them in a minimum 40-55 gallon tank or larger correct? They really need at least that much room to grow and flourish.

2) Do you have your tank already set up and cycled? If not I would recommend just getting one fish at a time, getting your cycle going, add another fish, let your tank handle the new ammonia load (and so on and so forth). Four fish added at once... big ammonia spike if you aren't careful :D

As for the other questions:

1) Is there a difference of the colors of orandas regarding health and behavior? No

2) In regards to fish who were shipped, what is the best way to introduce them to the tank? Is there anything special I should know, other then having lots of stress coat available? If you are introducing them to fish already in the tank, they need to be quarantined (QT) for two weeks to minimize the risk of passing on diseases to existing fish. If they are going straight into the tank (or into an existing QT setup), first let them be still and quiet for a while in the shipping container and let the bags equalize out to the room temperature. They just had a rough journey and immediately placing them in the tank will stress them out further. Then place the bags in the tank for 15-30 min to equalize temp with tank water. Add a little tank water to the bag but do NOT mix the bag of water with the tank water (nasties in the bag of water will infect the entire tank). Keep adding a little bit of tank water every 15-20 min to the bag to let the fish get used to the 'new' water conditions. Once the fish is acclimated, using a fish net scoop him into the tank.... discard the bag of water down the sink.

Guest Love_Orandas

Oh wow! Thanks for the fast replies!

to Anielynn- thanks for the suggestion! They have some really pretty fish there. That white oranda really gave me pause to re-think my ideal tank!

to Obsidian- Two hours for a goldie? I think I'd do that, too, for the right fish. Must have been quite a stunner you were wanting to add to your tank!

Thanks for the advice!! The guy I talked to at the pet store said that a 30 gallon (that's what I have) would be sufficient for four orandas. However, I think you guys probably know better then he does, so I'll limit my fish to three? Is that right? Ten gallons per fish? I want them to be happy and healthy.

Also, I'm trying to get the tank up and cycling before they arrive. It will be set up this weekend, the fish are coming next pay day, lol! that is in two weeks. My goal is to let it cycle and let the plants have a chance to acclimate before the goldies come. Right now, I'm actually trying to figure out what kind of fertilizer I need to keep the plants healthy before the fish are added.

It may not be ideal, but all of the fish will be coming from the same place at the same time. Otherwise, I will have to pay $51.00 shipping for each fish...yikes! Hopefully, I can still make that work.

In regards to the ammonia, I found this stuff at nnnn that's supposed to reduce the ammonia in the tank. Do you know if it works? I'm still in the process of collecting supplies before the fish come.

I'm also trying to figure out what medicines I should have on hand...I mean...I really don't want them to get sick, and I will do everything to prevent that, but maybe it would be a good idea to have a fishy first aid kit.

Again, you all are so helpful! It's very much appreciated. I will post pics when my fish-kids arrive.

Edited by Love_Orandas

if you haven't ordered your fish yet you should wait a bit.

i have 2 goldies in a 20 gallon and have been cycling this tank for 8 1/2 weeks. Fun but total nightmare. and it is really hard on the fish. you are very lucky, you haven't made this mistake yet. your tank will cycle much easier and faster if you do a fishless cycle. set up your tank filters and all and add ammonia. there are explanations on here if you do a search.

Riverwonder is locate in LA CA .I've been their warehouse and ordered goldfish from them. First they don't give you the fish color you want. Second they won't let anyone inside to see or pick the one you want. You order online there is always risk of the shipping for goldfish .

Now last month i ordered some fish from this guy http://www.koi-art.com/fish.html

He has lot of goldfish for sale. You need to call him and ask for pictures and shipping cost .You be surprise they are not like other .Wanted arm and leg for it :o . Good quality goldfish too.So good luck :yeah:

Guest Love_Orandas

Also, I'm trying to get the tank up and cycling before they arrive. It will be set up this weekend, the fish are coming next pay day, lol! that is in two weeks. My goal is to let it cycle and let the plants have a chance to acclimate before the goldies come. Right now, I'm actually trying to figure out what kind of fertilizer I need to keep the plants healthy before the fish are added.

:D

Dandy Orandas is located in Columbus Ohio. It is not a bad drive from Illinois - and depending on where you are in Ohio, you may be able to make it an enjoyable daytrip. Ken has amazing fish - and they are healthy. I would suggest you give him a look, too. It would eliminate the shipping costs.

http://www.dandyorandas.com/

Guest Love_Orandas

Sheesh!!!

I had no idea that goldfish were THAT expensive! I called and talked to Ken at Dandy Orandas, and he?s really really nice. He told me some interesting things (Like the pandas, the red and whites and the red and blacks almost always fade as they grow up) AND he doesn?t really sell small fish. He says the smallest he sells is around 5 inches, and he doesn?t really do those a lot because he deals mostly with goldfish that cost anywhere from $100 at the low end to $600.00 at the high end.

I was like??whoa.? I don?t want to spend that for a gold fish. It sounds like my best bet is to just see what?s around locally in the petstores.

I mean, I don?t care to pay $20 per fish, but I?m not spending $100.00 for one goldfish. I?ve got bills to pay, LOL!!! ;-)

I would give just about anything to be able to go visit Ken and pick out my own goldfish from him! That's like the dream candy store to me! All those beautiful fish in one place!

• Admin

Another place you might want to look at is Goldfishuptopia.com....Some members here have gotten some really nice fish from Ed :)

And of course there is the auction at goldfishnet.com :) But until you've been thoroughly bitten by the goldfish bug $100 will seem outrageous :) Keep in mind with the river wonders site that you are either purchasing 3 of the same color goldie for 20 bucks or a single goldie for $20 each... plus $59!!!! for shipping. So for three specific colored fish that's $120 altogether. With the Rain Garden site you have $15-60 shipping cost depending on the size and quantity with oranda prices ranging from $10-60. I would really suggest if you are just starting out and wary about it to just spend the money on a proper tank and filtration system, and see if you can find any local pet stores. I see you are from ohio.. .are any of THESE near you?

every other week ken from dandy orandas has a goldfish auction at the www.goldfishconnection.com web site. there is an auction starting this sunday at 8 pm eastern time. you may be able to bid on a fish and get him in the 50-60dollar range. if you want a nice oranda paying around 100 dollars is not so drastic. you have to remember you are getting a very healthy fish, very high quality, and support from the seller. you have to factor those things into the price. make sure your tank is fully cycled. i would only put one oranda in your thirty gallon as orandas with the large wens require more oxygen and excellent water conditions. if this is your first exotic i would go with a ryukin. they are cheaper, just as beautiful, and not as demanding as an oranda. goldfish keeping is an art form, the more you practice the better you become.

Guest Love_Orandas

Thanks for all of the replies! They are very much appreciated.

I have checked into Beyerlies and Jacks. The former is no longer in business, and we've been to Jacks to talk to them. I'll probably buy from Jack's when my tank has properly cycled.

As for the advice on expensive goldies- thanks! But no thanks, guys. I really don't want to spend that on a fish, and I know that maybe for you all it's no big deal. And yes, I'm sure they are extra large and beautiful and extra healthy. But, I'm not going to show these guys. They're only going to be pets. They don't have to be perfect for me.

For me, going to a petstore is fine. I don't mind spending some money on the fish, but I'm not going to spend anything over $20.00 on a fish. At least not right now. There are more important things for me to put my money on.

So, I can only have 1 fish in a 30 gallon aquarium? I've seen lots of posts on here where people have 2 fish in a 20 gallon or 1 fish in a ten gallon- is that wrong? I think its very feasible to have three fish in a 30 gallon aquarium. Expecially if they're going to be very well cared for, which mine will be.

I have a filter with a bio wheel and plants and a little decoration that bubbles that provides extra oxygen and I'm allowing the tank to cycle for 2 weeks before I add the fish...

I'm sincerely trying to do things the right way so that I can have a fun and healthy tank. However, I think I might take some of the advice presented with a grain of salt, although I do want to thank everyone for the good advice offered. It was sincerely considered and much appreciated.

The general rule of thumb is 1 goldfish for the first 20 gallons and 1 fish per 10 gallons after that. In comparison to other fish, goldies are HEAVY waste producers, and also grow relatively large (6-8 inches in body excluding the fins) if taken care of properly. Your fish will, in general be healthier in an understocked tank vs an overstocked tank. So if you are shooting for 4 fish you really should have a 50 gallon or higher tank. Its quite the shock I know from petstores that tell you oh you can fit 10 1 inch long fish in a 10 gallon, goldies don't adhere to that rule because of their deep body size and extreme growth potential.

What concerns me about your last post is this:

I have a filter with a bio wheel and plants and a little decoration that bubbles that provides extra oxygen and I'm allowing the tank to cycle for 2 weeks before I add the fish...

I want to stress that I don't think 'cycling' means what you think it means. Fish tanks need a beneficial bacterial bed in order to process the waste goldies produce. Unless you have another tank to 'seed' it from, you have to 'grow' your own bacteria. Thats what we call a cycle. Basically it goes: Fish make Ammonia (pee) -> Bacteria #1 eat ammonia and make nitrites -> Bacteria #2 eat nitrites and make nitrates -> Nitrates are removed through water changes. If you just drop 1-4 goldies in a tank together within 2 days they will have produced a heap of ammonia that will sicken and cause your fish to become ill, if not die. Thats why fish stores make you bring in water samples of your tank, so they can test your ammonia and nitrite levels (and deny replacing fish you have killed as a result of an uncycled tank).

Anielynn70 provided you with a link to a fishless cycle, and there are links on kokos about cycling a new tank with just 1 fish over the course of several weeks. There is no *poof* cycled tank YAY... it is weeks long process to reduce the ammonia and nitrite levels in your tank to zero.

Guest Love_Orandas

I guess having goldfish is more complicated then I thought. Maybe I'll just sell my tank equipment and stick to dogs and cats, LOL! :gfish:

Thanks for the advice!

If anyone is interested in a 30 gallon hex w/ filters, gravel, & live plants, let me know.

Didn't mean to turn you off to goldies/fish keeping! Once you get the tank cycled, its fairly easy upkeep, just the weekly water changes. We just toss all this stuff at you so you don't 1) kill your first fish :) and 2) Know basically what you are getting into. I basically was ignorant about goldies too when I first started in 2002. I kept 3 fish in a 10 gallon tank with no problems for about 2 mos (I had prior fish keeping experience with tropicals). But when I upgraded them to a 30 gallon cause they started to grow and I thought they looked too crowded and I wanted more, I put them all in the tank plus two more and promptly all fell ill and I lost 1/2 of them. That's when I came to Kokos and learned about cycling and the 10 gallon rule and filtration and how to id diseases and quarantine etc etc. I saved three of the fish with the help of this community :) .

*shrugs* I hope you give it a shot, just get ONE fish for now and get working on a tank cycle, purchase a test kit and do daily water changes until your test kit gives you a zero ammonia and zero nitrite reading. Its just a bit time consuming for the first month or so :) But come on... those little alien faces are worth it ;)

We're sorry if we've turned you off to keeping goldfish, but there is a lot to know and you need to know everything if you want to have happy, healthy fish.

Goldfish are not the easy fish we have been brought up to believe they are. They are, actually, IMO, the most difficult fish to keep. I would argue that they are as difficult or more difficult than saltwater. Goldfish can get sick easily if you don't take perfect care of the tank, and to be very honest, I'd rather tell you every bad thing there is about them and have you decide you don't want to keep them than to sugar-coat things and have you find out later how difficult it can be. If it's too much to hear or take in, then maybe waiting or finding an alternative is a good idea.

Also, goldfish are horizontal swimmers. They need long, rectangle tanks. Some people keep goldfish in hex tanks, but really, hex tanks are more for vertical fish like tropical schoolers. Your hex tank would work very well for tropicals and tropicals are much easier to take care of than goldfish. Perhaps you should consider tropicals. I think they would better fit your tank shape and your maintenance abilities. You would still need to cycle the tank first and cycling takes much longer than 2 weeks; at least 4 and more likely 8-12 weeks. But, you could get more tropicals, of course, depending on the size of the tropical fish, but for instance, if you got the small ones like tetras and barbs, you could have as many as maybe 20. And they're less expensive and more hearty.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!

You know what is really fun.....getting some little inexpensive fish that you like at the LFS! :) You get to watch them grow up and have no idea what suprises are on the way. :heart

I never could imagine watching Artemis and Einstein (both Orandas) get soooooooo BIG!!!!!

I think I spent $3 on each of them...they were so little! I didn't get an "expensive" fish until a year into fish keeping...$30. I did finally spend a little more on one of Ken's auctions....but there was no reserve and combined shipping!! :) :) :heart

At first it can be a little work. But you can do a fishless cycle. Get it going and then go to the store and pick up a couple little guys to start your fish family!

I have some pictures posted in a link..its been a year...click on my avatar...you can see the little tiny guys turn into crazy big lovely fish that eat right out of my hand! :)

Don't give up before you begin. I believe in you. ;)

Guest Love_Orandas

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. My boyfriend still wants to do the tank, though I do not. I will forward this information on to him so that he can set it up if he wants to.

Personally, I am no longer interested in tropical fish, or having any type of fish in general. He may be interested in them. I'll let him know.

Maybe the BF will set up an account here.

Thanks for all of the advice. It is much appreciated. This will be my last post here.

Please take care.