Sign in to follow this  
c_cube

Popo Is Floating And Tilting 1 Side

I am not sure if I need to add medicine anymore.. I notce that since I didnt put med and just change water everyday, feed popo pellet and peas.. she seem have more energy.. but still didnt swim.. just floating..

Can i just ignore the anchor worm thing first? and lets solve the floating issue?...

I know how you feel. And it is true, many medicines can make floatiness worse.

Give her some really large water changes then maybe to clear any eggs/larvae somewhat and wait a few days...

Are you able to feed her a variety of foods including soft de-shelled peas ?

Trinket,

Sure I will do my best.. I will keep on changing water everyday, feed her pellet and peas.. and will monitor.. Will keep u all updates..

Thanks all for advise and help.. I hope the next time I update here, it will be good news.. :)

Fingers crossed for Popo and you C_cube.. :) ..next time there will be good news.. :)

:( popo is almost floating upside down now..(no more side floating) and reddish come back... but she still can eat and poop.. normal poop..

I am not sure if I should put med... I keep on changing water everyday, feed her pellet and soft de-shelled pea..

BTW, i remembered someone from koko's mentioned before a spray kinda medicine that we can spray on fish body to prevent air dry their body coating to prevent infection... anyone know? I try to find in my local fish shop but couldnt find.. I think I have to buy now, even only can buy foreign country..as I am very sad to see popo always have reddish on and off... poor popo.. :(

Some of my friends said she might have eggs but how to see if she have eggs or not? She is still young izit? I have been keeping popo and pipi for 2 years. I assume when I bought popo, she is about 1 year becos her size is very small.. half inch body only.. I am not sure if she is mature enough to have eggs.. ???

C-Cube, a member here (Imber) had a good idea for keeping her upside down fish under the water always. Here is a pic, any way you could try something like this for Popochan :unsure: ?

Imbersideaforfloatyfish.jpg

I have this breeding net.. But will she ok if she just being kept inside the net and didnt have enough space to move around.. cos the net space is kinda small for her..anyhow, I will try tonite. and capture pic.... thanks to Imber for this great idea.. Trinket, thanks thanks thanks..

However, this can solve the reddish go away, but still the main problem, the floatiness...... :doh11: ..BTW, is Imber fish recovered from floatiness?...

I am soo sorry C cube..I know it is so difficult to see Popo in this state from such a long time...It is so painful to watch your dear pet in pain...I am really praying hard that Popo recovers soon...

I am sorry I am not of much help here..but just in to give you Hugssssss for all the patience and efforts with Popo.. :heart ..take care..Get well soon Popo... :heart

I don't know if Imber's fish has recovered yet. Some do and some do not :( I do know that it can take a long time and what works for one fish will not for another, it is a very complex thing - we cannot see inside the fish.

If Popo's kidney is damaged its best to stay away from meds though and focus on restoring good kidney function with good nutrition and excellent water. The kidney eliminates bad gases and liquids and these fluids build up and cause floatiness when the kidney is impaired..

Sunshinegurl, don worry.. u help me alot too.. thanks for the hugss and caring wishes.. thats means alot to me and to popo..

Trinket, if popo kidney is damage, can i just continue to feed her the sinking pellet and peas and no more med...

I also have flakes, can i feed her this??

The composition is as below:

fish and fish derivaties, cereal, yeast, vegetable protein extract, molluscs and crustaceans, oils and fats, algea, various sugars.

Additives : Vitamin A 291000 IU/kg, Vitamins D3 1820 IU/kg, Vitamin E 120 mg/kg, L-ascrobyl-2-polyphosphate 352 mg/kg, lecithin, citric acid.

BTW, the reddish reduce alot.. :) . I don have camera with me now,, cant take the pic.. but I am sure popo will recovered from reddish soon.. Gambate, popo...

I've been reading this post and really hoping that Popo can get better. My fish hasn't recovered from floatiness yet. He's been upside down for about 2 weeks now. He's still hanging in there, but like you I feel the frustration at just not knowing how to fix him. All we can do is hang in there and do what we can for them and hope for recovery.

As for how the net thing is working out... I've modified it so now it's right side up with a powerhead with a spraybar over the top so it keeps his belly wet. It's not without flaws though and his tail and side do rub on the side of the net and he's lost a large chunk out of his tail so there are downsides to this too. If I can figure out anything better I'll let you know.

I have another fish named Ziggy that was a floater for a long time and then he developed a big hole in his side where his swimbladder was and it flooded and then he became a sinker. I think he has a good quality of life now though because he can get his own food and scoot all over where ever he wants to go. He's always rearranging his tank and he loves to play on his bubble bar that shoots him up and then he swims around in it. I don't know what the outcome for our fish will be, but hang in there and don't give up hope because some fish do recover and some fish take a different path like Ziggy.

Hi C Cube! just stopping by your thread to check on Popo since I haven't gotten to talk to you on facebook lately. :hug

How is she? :)

Have you checked out drsfostersmith.com? do you remember when Sarah called and they said that they ship to Malay? If you can't find the things you need locally I'm sure that you could from this website.

Imber,

Thanks for your concern and follow up this thread.. I am glad that so many people are caring popo.. I really hope both of our fishes will recover soon..

Talking about the net, I found reddish come back on fins and lobes.. guess they are exactly the same thing u mentioned about the belly side and tail rubbing the net.... hmm.. i cant figure how make it not rubbing since the net stop popo from floating up to water level.... :doh11: .. U said "I've modified it so now it's right side up with a powerhead with a spraybar over the top so it keeps his belly wet." Can u show me the pic? I am sorry, I don understand cos my English is not so good.. :[

BTW, everyday, when I get home, I will "release" popo out from net as I am sad to see her get "trapped". She moves little around inside the net.. So, i will take her out from the net and put her in big tank together with pipi.. and I will do water change on the bucket (Q tank). and let her float freely for few hours.. she "swim" upside down happily and eat actively, i think.. but i am sure that's the greatest thing i see at this moment...

Matha, sorry I recently seldom log in facebook.. what can i buy from the drsfostersmith.com?

Hi C Cube :hug

well I made a mistake and overlooked this post of Imo's where she says to stay away from meds. So my idea of using drsfostersmith.com is a bad one at the moment. but if you do find you needs medication or any other items and you are unable to find them locally remember that this company can ship to you. :thumb:

If Popo's kidney is damaged its best to stay away from meds though and focus on restoring good kidney function with good nutrition and excellent water. The kidney eliminates bad gases and liquids and these fluids build up and cause floatiness when the kidney is impaired..

how is Popo today? I feel so bad for her! but she is a strong girl and you are giving her great care!! :heart

I had some issues with the setup that I described to you earlier because he would catch his tail on the net and damage it. I'm on to a new setup that I took pictures of for you. This is about the simplest thing that I've done but it seems to work. I noticed that the current always drew him toward the filter and he would end up resting up against the input tube and the side of the tank. I thought I wonder what would happen if he couldn't stick himself there and he was still being drawn into the waterfall so I divided off that little bit of the tank where the filter is and put him in there and now the current pulls him toward the waterfall and wets his belly. I just used plastic mesh and then I've got the net butted up against it so that it stays put. I've had it like this for a couple of days and so far it's working well. He doesn't even rub up against or get caught on anything. He'll struggle away from it if he wants to watch me while I'm by his tank, but when I sneak up on him he's usually in the waterfall with the water falling directly on his belly. Here are the pictures:

spazzdivider1.jpg

spazzdivider2.jpg

I still can't believe that something this simple could be the best solution but I've had it this way for a couple of days and so far it's working!

Thanks for stopping by Imber :) That does indeed look like a workable solution. Please keep us posted!

Wow.. Imber.. good idea.. I will try tonite..

Actually, I didnt "trap" popo inside the net anymore as yesterday I notice the reddish on her belly became worst.. more red and her fin also red and seems broken.... Guess it was damaged by the net due to rubbing...... I just let her floating without net..

Tonite i will try to do something to keep popo always near the air bubble.. I don have filter in Qtank.. thats why I need to do water change everyday..

Trinket, can i put popo back to big tank now? there have water outlet area, I can keep popo near there and cover that area with tank seperator that I just bought).. wat u think?

Thanks

I don't think he is infectious now. I think you can put him back and get rid of that tub water he is in which may hold some baddies. Transfer him securely and quickly by hand and dip him once in a bucket of freshly treated same temperature water on route.

I don't think he is infectious now. I think you can put him back and get rid of that tub water he is in which may hold some baddies. Transfer him securely and quickly by hand and dip him once in a bucket of freshly treated same temperature water on route.

I tried yesterday and notice she wasnt really "flush off" by the water outlet cos the water flow is very thin.. Infact, she looked struggling under the water flow.. maybe she don have energy to fight back and swim away from the water outlet flow.. So, I took her out and put back into Q-tank.. sigh!!

The reddish become worst.

Then I decided to trap her inside a fish bowl (round) becos i believe the glass surface will not hurt her belly.. I put the glass bowl in side way (sleeping position) inside the Qtank .. and move the air bubble near the bowl opening side as near as possible so that popo will have some air.. i hope.. This morning she is just fine, ofcos stick to the glass surface all time.. I hope tonite when i got back home, her reddish will reduce..

I am not sure if I am doing the correct thing by trapping her inside a fish glass bowl..but thats the best I can do yesterday.. Ofcos tonite when i get home, I will release her out to free her.. LOL..

Popo reddish has reduced alot.. I think trap her in glass bowl is working.. I will keep on update on her again.. Thanks..

Bad news...

Now is pipi...

I notice pipi start to turn up side down at bottom tank, middle of tank and sometime floating at water level when she is resting from swimming... i know sometimes she is sleeping becos I try to wave her to get her attention, she move or wake up.... last time she used to bottom sitting when she is sleeping at her favourite corner of the tank..

I measure the water parameter as below:

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = N/A (I just found out the 1st drop bottle finish)

Nitrate = 10-20

PH = 8

KH = blue to yellow-orange in 4drops. ( I dunno wat value I should put here, 1st time using it)

What shall I do now? I don wan pipi end up like popo.. I don wan my fish to just float.. I wan them swim happily...

Tomorrow I will do large water change on the big tank.. 70% water change.. sad.gif

Please refer to photo..

post-16428-124854113376_thumb.jpg

Popo reddish has reduced alot.. I think trap her in glass bowl is working.. I will keep on update on her again.. Thanks..

photo of popo inside glassbowl...

post-16428-124854179403_thumb.jpg

This is so hard. When fish start to flip. Unfortunately it can happen so often with full bodied fancy fish. It so seldom happens with comets and commons and longer elongated shaped goldfish.

All their internal organs are so jampacked in such a small place and any swelling, extra fluid or food or eggs or whatever causes pressure on the airsacs (swimbladder) responsible for balance. So flipping occurs when that pressure interferes with the air sacs ability to function properly/osmote gases.

One thing (only as I know your water is perfect in every other way) I wonder if you have the surface of your tank ruffled? Like splash all along the top? I have found this the best way to get oxygen dissolved into the water and dissolved oxygen helps floatiness soooooo much. Often people stop it to give the fish a rest without current but when the airsacs are impaired we need more not less oxygen in the water. It also helps stop certain bacteria breeding.

Im glad Popo looks so much better.

Trinket,

I added air pump inside the big tank.. Popo reddish will come back if there is air bubble going inside and accumulated into the glassbowl.. so from time to time i must monitor if the small air bubbles has accumulated become big air bubble, i will remove the bubble out.. else, popo's belly will still exposed to air bubble inside the glass bowl..

As for pipi, she flips often.. either at bottom tank, sometimes float upside down in the middle of tank and slowly up to water surface, but becos she was swap by the air bubble from air pump or water outlet pipe, she will quickly swim back.....

I treated her peas (soft de-shelled) yesterday.. and will not let her eat so much..... i think pipi have early stage of popo sickness. I don wan her to end up like popo.. i need fast solution... or is there no solution at all?... I am worried...

U asked "One thing (only as I know your water is perfect in every other way) I wonder if you have the surface of your tank ruffled? Like splash all along the top?", is the pic below answer ur question?.. This is before I added air pump.. tonite i will capture the view with air pump and post here again..