[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? N/A

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? JBL drop

[*]Water temperature? 29dec C

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40gal water, 1/2 year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Tetra EXpower

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1 week, 70%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 4inch (include tail)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? sinking pellet, 2 times per day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? reddish on side tummy and lobes

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? cant swim straight (swim in circular motion), floating and tilting 1 side at top level water when rest

Popo (oranda) is floating and tiliting at 1 side causing her body reddish becos exposed to air too long.. She cant swim straight.. always swim in circular motion and being swept by the air flow bubble current. What should I do? :(

top view

IMG_0222.jpg

front view

IMG_0218.jpg

Poor baby. When did this start and how long has this been going on? Any possibility of being egg bound?

Trinket, Sunshinegal, Martha, anyone... Please help me... Wat should I do?... I am very sad... :(

Poor baby. When did this start and how long has this been going on? Any possibility of being egg bound?

amynmitchell, thanks for your attentions.. since yesterday, I found her when I got home from work.. poor... she look sad.. and didnt always swim..

p/s: I still don know popo is female or male.. I just use "she".. =p.

Aw hun :( . Things look bad. Can you get any medication there? Biobandage for example?

Looks like an infection is imminent and that will need some antibiotics. Can you get any antibiotics at all where you are? Medicated food?

Why is pH not applicable? :unsure:

I know Popo has had some balance issues before, has anything worked so far? Is she better after or before eating, and after or before water changes?

Aw hun :( . Things look bad. Can you get any medication there? Biobandage for example?

Looks like an infection is imminent and that will need some antibiotics. Can you get any antibiotics at all where you are? Medicated food?

Why is pH not applicable? :unsure:

I know Popo has had some balance issues before, has anything worked so far? Is she better after or before eating, and after or before water changes?

Biobandage? wat it use for? it is to cure the infection?..

Why she is tilting? SBD? I will try to fast her for 2 days.. or is she really a "she" and having egg now? arggghhh.. i need to go home now to check her out. I hope she is back to normal..

popo had balance issue since she lost her long tail but now they grow back, she is improving the balance.. not 100% but yesterday she tilt very bad.. and look like she don have energy to swim.. I am worry..

Biobandage is a mixture of methylene blue disinfectant and an antibiotic called neosporin specially made for fish. It is wiped onto the red spots to prevent infection and disinfect the area.

Tilting alone can mean many things.

Can you answer these questions so we can narrow down possibilties?

#1. What did her last/most recent poop look like?

#2 Is she eating?

#3 Does she tilt more after eating?

#4 Does she look swollen on either side of her belly?

Oh c-cube popo looks so sad! :(

Also...do you have access to antibiotics where you are?

Rooting for you hun! :heart

Hang in there Popo. Being exposed to the air is not good. I did read an article in Practical fishkeeping UK web site where a fish owner had a fish with severe floatiness. They bought a large tank divider and fitted it into the tank horizontally rather than vertically. That way when their fish floated up it only got as far as the sheet of plastic which stopped being exposed to the air.

Trinket,

#1. What did her last/most recent poop look like? i saw poop with bubble, but not sure they belong to popo or pipi.. didnt manage to catch them pooping..

#2 Is she eating? yes before I discovered the reddish spot

#3 Does she tilt more after eating? i didnt feed them today.. should i feed them? but popo still the same position even fasting 1 wholeday...

#4 Does she look swollen on either side of her belly? nope.. both side are round.

newbiefishgirl,

I am new to this antibiotic thing.. It is very important? Can i wait till tis weekend, i go downtown to search for? I afraid popo cant wait..

alistairw,

I was thinking to put something ontop to stop from popo being floated and exposed to air.. But couldnt find something to diy.. Was thinking about divider but I only can get it when I go downtown this weekend.. again, afraid popo cant wait..

Today, I see popo have white coating on top of the reddish spot and the reddish spot is more red compare to yesterday.. really scare me..i am very worry.. :krazy::cry1

i have seperated popo and put her into big plastic square bucket as temporary.. with air pump on.. I put the Tetra Medical GoldMed as I see from the bottle it says for wounds.. for skin and fins are covered with slimy coating... I assume the slimy coating is the white coating on the reddish spot.. I hope the medicine can help..

The antibiotics were really Trinket's question. Different kind of medicines from the local fish store. Medicines you can add to the water or food with medicine in them. Trinket would know which to advise with this infection.

The Tetra Medigold...did you put it in the water or on the fish? (I am sorry I am not familiar with it) :(

The slime coat I would assume, over produce due to stress or illness.

Any chance you have a plastic collander (the thing you drain noodles out of water through)? I don't know if it is better or worse to have popo in the bucket? How big is the bucket?

Hang in there! :heart

newbiefishgal,

The plastic bucket is about L=1.5ft, W=1ft, H 1ft.. I couldnt find bigger container. I just have 1 air pump running. No filter..

This morning, popo is still same, but this time she floating the other side.. I check the slimy coat and reddish, they reduce abit.. luckily not becoming worst. I think maybe she floating the other side, now I worry will the other side of tummy get infection?.. No poop is seen.

The tetra medica goldmed info : https://www.thearkpetshop.com/?p=2_4&gr...ml&pid=2782

I drop the med into water.

I don have plastic collander, I have metal collander..

The plastic container is fine. Please dont use metal..

The Tetra Medgold- I dont know it... :unsure: can you tell me what the ingredients are...is it an antibacterial (thats what you need).

The air pump is good but with no filter you need do 100% water changes every day for Popo.

Alistairs idea or a diy cover might help.

Trinket,

The Tetra Medica GoldMed active ingredients per 100ml : Formaldehyde 1.54g, Malachite green oxalate 14.43mg. I am not sure if it is antibacteria but it seems working. Popo skin and lobes recovered quite well.. the reddish and slimy coat reduced. Even tho she float the other side of tummy didnt get any reddish at all. I think the med helps.

Please see below pic:

The infected side (reddish reduced)

IMG_0578-s.jpg

IMG_0581-s.jpg

The other side (no reddish seen)

IMG_0574s.jpg

The plastic bucket with air pump

IMG_0573-s.jpg

however, popo is still floating and tilting even tho I fast her for 2 days. Today I fed her few sinking pellet, I have to hand feeding her as she cant swim down to eat.. But, she is eating.. The poo is normal (no air bubble, no stringy)

What should I do next? :unsure:

popo tummy and lobes no more reddish.. but she is still floating and tilting 1 side... :(

Well the good thing is she has no more red. :)

Is popo a girl? What is the water temp? Do you have access to epsom salt vs. aquarium salt?

I am thinking maybe eggs....but lets wait for Trinket, ok!

You may have to hand feed her, just hold the food until popo eats it. :heart

I am not sure if popo is gal.. but I didnt see any breading star.. I have aquarium salt. What should I do with it? As for temperature, I will measure tonite...

Popo has a history of tilting and floatiness doesn't she C-Cube? I mean she was nose down for some time, then topsitting? Now she seems to be tilting to her side...but lower in the water.

Since the redness could have been from the exposure to air/dryness when she was top sitting it is natural for it to heal up in good clean water where she is now beneath the surface. It is possible this is still a swimbladder or digestive issue and not primarily a bacterial disease at all.

Are you doing 100% water changes in that uncycled tub? As I am sure you know it is absolutely neccesary.

Please try feeding her peas- plenty of them. Add epsom to the water too- in a 5 gallon tub try adding max half a teaspoon of epsom, dissolved first.

Popo has a history of tilting and floatiness doesn't she C-Cube? I mean she was nose down for some time, then topsitting? Now she seems to be tilting to her side...but lower in the water.

Since the redness could have been from the exposure to air/dryness when she was top sitting it is natural for it to heal up in good clean water where she is now beneath the surface. It is possible this is still a swimbladder or digestive issue and not primarily a bacterial disease at all.

Are you doing 100% water changes in that uncycled tub? As I am sure you know it is absolutely neccesary.

Please try feeding her peas- plenty of them. Add epsom to the water too- in a 5 gallon tub try adding max half a teaspoon of epsom, dissolved first.

Yes, Trinket. Popo has history of tilting and floatiness but this time, she just float and didnt swim at all. It seem serious to me.. Last time she will swim and when she rest, only either nose down or top sitting.. It seem serious now, she just float and tilt ALL THE TIME.... :doh11:

I did 100% water change and put med yesterday as her redness is back.. :cry1 ... And becos I just put med, I didnt do water change today.. or should I? :unsure: . I didnt feed her yesterday and today.. Tomorrow i will feed her peas, then do 100% water change, add sea salt.. Should I repeat same thing everyday including feeding her peas? BTW, u said feed peas-plenty of them.. Actually how many piece I should feed? She is about 2 1/2 inches (body) or total 4inches (plus tail).

BTW, water temp is 28deg C.

Just curious, can a goldfish just float (not swimming) for few days? Any harm? :(

Oh no C cube...I am sooo sorry for Popo...I hope she gets better soon..and you have had wonderful advice from Imo, steph and alistarw...

Like Imo suggests...water changes are extremely necessary..because the ammonia shoots up in no time in an uncycled tub...and the tub is smaller so the ammonia would be high in no time..I would suggestkeep testing ammonia..and also keep doing water changes every 12 hours..just add the dosage of the prescribed meds back when you do a water change..but water changes are extremely necessary...as Popo needs clean and fresh water to get better...

Also as Imo suggests you can start feeding peas to Popo...for a fish her size..I would suggest 2 peas boiled, deshelled and sqished gently for ease of eating..Since Imo says plenty I would try and feed 2 peas at least 3 times a day each...Maybe that could help..but please keep an eye on the ammonia..and keep doing water changes...

I really am keeping my fingers crossed for Popo..hope she gets better soon.. :)

Yes fish can survive floating a few days and recover.

I should really try and get her to eat. Hand feed her, she must be hungry an dreally needs the vitamins and power from food. Fasting hasn't worked so feeding plenty is next. Offer one pea broken into 4 pieces and skinned, 2 or 3 times a day. Yes, about the same as what Sunshine girl says above!!

Alrite, Trinket and Sunshinegal, I will follow your advice.. today is Friday and I am working, no one at home to feed popo.. Tonite, I will feed her 2peas... Weekend I will feed her 2-3times (2pcs each time) and do 100% water change every 12hours..

Do i need to put salt since i put med?

Please do not use any salt at all. No salt with medications containing formaldehyde. It is dangerous for the fish.

Also you need to keep the lights dim as malachite green will be deactivated in light. Can you shade the tub from light?

Feed the peas and let us know how she is :) We are all rooting for little Popo :heart

I wasn't sure about the salt..and hence thought it would be best for Imo to answer that part of the question..phewwww..I am glad I waited..and now I know that no salt with formaldehyde..

Oh yeah..shade would be sooo helpful..I would always wrap around a huge bedsheet around the tank and pin it up with push pins to the wall...and Imo always reminded me to be careful that the cloth does not accidentally fall into the tank..that could cause more problems too...so please be careful with that.. :)

C Cube...you are doing gr88..and yes we are all rooting for Popo...she is such a sweet soul...fingers and fins crossed..<3

Edited by SunshineGurl