Silent Bubbler?

Guest 2manypets

Guest 2manypets

So about a year ago I had an AquaClear 50 filter that died. I went to the store and bought another brand because it was on sale (original price was significantly more than the AquaClear). It made a godawful buzzing sound, where as my AquaClear had been totally silent. I went through 2-3 other cheaper brands and they all had the same problem! So I went back to the silent AquaClear. I hate buzzing.

Anyway due to having sick fish I have added a bubbler per a helpful recommendation. It does seem to be helping, but once again that BUZZING!!!! It is loud enough that I have to turn my TV up a notch to hear it. I have owned the thing 2 hours. The only reason it's still on is because it's helping my fish. it is a Tetra brand air pump.

To avoid purchasing more bubblers and wasting money I don't have, I was wondering if anyone knows if bubblers/air pumps come in silent version (this one says that it's quiet on the box, just like the "quiet" filters did). If naming brands is not allowed, maybe people could PM me?

Thanks!

2Manypets, where do you have your Air pump sitting?? Is it on a hard surface?? Sometimes experimenting with where and how it's sitting can make a huge difference. I have found that the Whisper Air pump to be noticably quieter than any other pump Ive tried. You will never completly eliminate the buzzing sound just because of the mechanics that control the air flow, but you can definitely find pumps that decrease the noise to a minimal hum.

Guest 2manypets

It's on top of a cupboard. It is equally loud when i am holding it in my hand. It is the same loudness whether I have one tube hooked up or two (it has dual outputs) or even none. It is the same loudness upside down or right side up.

Hakko, Alita & Medo linear pumps are big, quite, but EXPENSIVE.

Sometimes, you can get a tiny Medo off eBay cheap.

Designed for other app's, but work PERFECTLY on tanks

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/8/4/6/1...271991308_o.jpg

This Medo cost me $12

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/8/4/6/1...269168527_o.jpg

Medo in lower left would cost about $300 retail.

I did not pay retail.

They all say `silent` :(

Pumps do make a noise. The cheaper ones tend to make more noise IME. Some people have found suspending the pump can help, wrapping it in towels, or putting it on books or strappping it-try some things. Its a shame to have to buy another until you have tried every way of hanging, strapping and covering....

Be VERY carefull of wrapping air pumps in a towel, cloth or anything else.

Or, for that matter enclosing them, if you don't allow for ventilation.

Air pumps NEED a certain volume of fresh air.

Without that, or wrapped in a towel, etc... they can over heat, short out & are a severe FIRE HAZARD.

I have a couple rolls of rubber like sound proofing material, that is about 1/10 inch thick, called Acoustiblok

http://www.acoustiblok.com/

One layer applied right, has the same sound prevention as 1 ft thick concrete.

2 layers, with a slight air space between them doubles that, 3 triples that.

It's what I used to sound proof some area's.

It's SPENDY, but works.

Yikes :o Well, thanks for picking me up on that then!

What do you think about the suspension idea? Some people here have tried that apparantly with some sucess.

The vibration factor is part of the noise issue too no?

Best to suspend a noisy pump with thick rubber bands, piece of elastic, nylon stocking, or bunge cord.

That kills almost all vibration noise.

You can also baffle box one.

Meaning, small cardboard box with air holes, inside another with air holes, inside another with air holes.

Punch, cut holes so no 2 oppose each other, which creates a baffle effect, but still allows unobstructed fresh air intake flow.

Example, 6 inch square box inside a 7 inch square box, inside an 8 inch square box, so there is 1 inch of air space open between the box's.

Each box perforated with holes, but not punched / cut in straight lines.

Set pump inside the inside box inside another on something like a sponge, to also dampen vibration noise.

Noise varies from pump to pump - even within a particular brand and model. Some are simply more quiet than others. A lot may have to do with how you have them adjusted - turning them all the way open or too far closed can sometimes make a difference.

Setting a pump on a cabinet or shelf is simply making a sounding board for it - something that amplifies the sound.

Suspension has been the answer for me. I have hooks that hang from the metal shelves that hold my tanks. The pump is tied to the hook with the electrical cord - hanging in open space. I also got a couple of luft pumps - non-diaphram pumps. They are a bit pricey - but one will pump air for 6-10 tanks. They are quiet. It tends to be the diaphram that makes the most objectionable noise.

Guest 2manypets

Thanks for all the ideas.

Yes, it is a Tetra Whisper 60. The buzzing/humming vibration noise is NOT caused by it sitting on the cupboard. It does the same noise, just as loud, when sitting in my hand or sitting on top of a thick towel folded in four.

It is mainly purple in colour and looks like a turtle. Here is the manufacturer's description (and why I paid more for it than the other brand that was in the store): "Tetra Whisper 60 Aquarium Air Pump: The new shape of silence. The Whisper Air patented dome shape and sound dampening chambers minimize turbulence and produce a smooth quiet stream of air. Wide footprint, rubber feet and suspended motor eliminate sound producing vibrations. Thick walls insulate motor noise." Man, if this one is that loud, what are the cheaper ones like LOL. (large pic) here http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/tet...-air-pump-2.jpg

Wrapping it up in two large fluffy bath towels (so it looked like a giant towel ball, and hardly fit on the top of the pantry anymore) did muffle the noise; I could still hear it, but had to be closer up (within about 15 feet). I only did this for a second because I did think of overheating/suffocating it. When I took the towels off they were warm and the device was warmer than before, so i agree this isn't a good idea.

OLDFISH posted about acoustic stuff, but I wonder how to apply that without running into the same problem? (Suffocation/overheating).

I am not completely sure about the baffle box idea - it might work, and would be cheap (though not pretty lol). Maybe I will try this if I can find 3 boxes of varying sizes.

Newbiefishgirl - can you hear yours at ALL? (OLDFISH - same question for the Medo? and what is it sold for?)

I have noticed that my definition of "quiet" and the manufacturers definitions of "quiet" are actually 2 different things. I am wondering now if I am just more sensitive to noises like that (my father and brother, for example, cannot stand ticking clocks) and it's something most other people can just tune out?

Edited by 2manypets

I have the same one it is very quiet. Since you just bought that one maybe you could exchange for another one? I don't think they are all so bad.

• Admin

I have one like that except its the Deep Version, I have found the best way to make it quiet is to place a towel under it, away from the wall and on a piece of glass hooding. :)

As Daryl pointed out, Luft pumps are also great quality (quite) & can be found on eBay for around $65 + S/H

Another thing you can do, if you are handy.

If you own your home & it has a basement, or crawl space under it, or a garage, attic, laundry room, where your water heater / furnace is or any out of the way place.

You can place an air pump in any of those places & run a line to where your tank or tanks are.

When I used to have tanks galore all over, before building a dedicated fish room in my old house, that is what I did.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/8/4/6/1...273462399_o.jpg

You can buy 50 ft of water line tubing that feeds a swamp cooler, or the same tubing that you use to plumb in an ice maker to a fridge for air line.

Both are available @ any large hardware store, will withstand air pressure up to about 45 psi, are durable, pliable, easy to work with & not expensive.

It's not a tough DIY job either, usualy just drilling a few small holes to run the line through, from one place to the other.

HINT: for getting pliable tubing through walls, floors etc, bend/cut a stiff metal coat hanger to about 18 inchs long & straight.

Use packing tape & tape tubing firmly to one end of the wire.

That way, you can feed / guide the tubing though small drill holes you drilled in walls, floors, etc.

Simply push the stiff wire through the hole, go to the other side & pull it out, pulling through the tubing taped to it

I second the reccomendation for a Rena. I love, love, love mine, it's a bit more expensive than the Tetra but not outrageous and it's so quiet. My tank is in the living room and I never hear the pump.

OLDFISH posted about acoustic stuff, but I wonder how to apply that without running into the same problem? (Suffocation/overheating).

I am not completely sure about the baffle box idea - it might work, and would be cheap (though not pretty lol). Maybe I will try this if I can find 3 boxes of varying sizes.

(OLDFISH - same question for the Medo? and what is it sold for?)

A triple cardboard baffle box is quick, cheap & easy to DIY.

But, ugly / crude looking & best sitting inside an aquarium stand, out of sight.

But, you can also use many other things that are far better, like ceiling tile, foam insulation board, sheetrock, plywood, etc.

The more sound insulation you use, the better off you are.

There are all sorts very high quality acoustic blockers, in rolls, tiles, etc.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/8/4/6/1...273497524_o.jpg

What I used (acoustiblok) costs about $3 a linear square ft.

But, it's the best in the world, bar none.

It depends on how you plan to use it in / on what?

You could make a sound barrier box, container or cabinet stand as crude, or as refined as your budget / skills allow.

As for not suffocating & overheating the air pump inside it.

All that requires is a ventilation hole or series of them about 1 inch in diameter off set for a big pump, 1/2 inch for a smaller one.

Cover the holes with furnace filter material, to keep out dust.

Linear air pumps like a Medo are used for lab, medical, hydroponics & aquaculture, koi ponds etc.

Where dependibility / durability / high performance / optimal quality is the primary concern.

http://www.medousa.com/en/

They are NOT cheap.

But, insert > Medo pump < on eBay & often you can find them for cheap.

Right now there are a couple @ bargain prices listed.

My pump is lovely and quiet, all we hear is the lovely sound of bubble trickling in the tank however, go upstairs to the bedroom to sleep and all you hear is the vibrations of the ###### pump, doesn't matter with waht we do with it. I'd be wary about suspending it, what if it falls, the vibration losens anything and it may fall or the hose pipe may come out?

Honestly with pumps it is best to spend the big bucks, you get what you pay for and in my experience, smaller bubbles are quieter than larger bubbles which make "gloop" noises!

Hmm.. I never really thought about how wrapping up the pump would be

Air pumps NEED a certain volume of fresh air. Without that, or wrapped in a towel, etc... they can over heat, short out & are a severe FIRE HAZARD.
Urg. Mine sits in a puppet fish I bought specifially for it. I didn't want to use a towel, but I didn't want to hear the hum. Bye-bye puppet fish!

My air pump was noisy until i made the length of the tubing long enough so that the pump sits on the carpet behind the tank. That solved the noise issue. Only thing with putting the pump on the floor you need to put a one way valve in so that water doesn't back itself from the tubing to the air pump otherwise you will get the shock of your life..(literally)..... Hope that helps

Edited by SnowBabe24