Getting A Golden Apple Snail

Hi all,

I am picking up a re-homed Golden Apple Snail tommorrow. As of now my plan is to put him in my five gallon filtered betta tank. If they don't get along I have the option of the goldfish tank as well (though there are more openings in that tank so I am concerned about him/her escaping).

Right now I keep 1 tsp. of salt in the betta tank. I know that snails are not salt tolerant, but I have read on Koko's that a small level of salt is helpful to keep parasites in check.

I would love any general care tips. Should I QT him?

Thanks!

Amy

Yes, QT your apple snail, snails cannot get most of fish diseases but they could introduce disease in to your aquarium and other fish can get ill.

Salt is not really needed there. Just give a close observation for possible flukes and other parasites but normally captive bred snails have very little risks compared to wild caught ones. If by golden apple snails, you refer to Pomacea canaliculata, then it definitely will live for at least 5 years and longer. Pomacea diffusa (formerly P. bridgesii) live for at least 18-24 months only although a few cases exceeded the record.

P.S. I happen to be a frequent member in applesnail.net as well. :D

Edited by Lupin

Pomacea canaliculata for sure from my identification on applesnail.net. And it is a giant pig. He has only been here for one day and has completley shredded the jungle val. I have a sword plant I want to add, but now I am scared to add it. Oh, well. Maybe it will be just a $4 meal for him. I'm wondering if I keep him well fed with other things if he will eventually stop eating the plants, but my guess is probably not.

I could actually hear him tearing apart the val! But he is an interesting busy little addition. And has a beautiful shell.

Pomacea canaliculata for sure from my identification on applesnail.net. And it is a giant pig. He has only been here for one day and has completley shredded the jungle val. I have a sword plant I want to add, but now I am scared to add it. Oh, well. Maybe it will be just a $4 meal for him. I'm wondering if I keep him well fed with other things if he will eventually stop eating the plants, but my guess is probably not.

I could actually hear him tearing apart the val! But he is an interesting busy little addition. And has a beautiful shell.

Canas are meant to eat plants regardless of what they are. This is why they are banned for interstate shipping and imports in several Asian countries.