My Goldfish Had A Terrible Accident, Fish Out Of Water, He Needs Your Help

Guest duncan_fishy

Guest duncan_fishy

so... after he started eating and found that first pea in the gravel. its like the switch just flipped and he remembered how to eat. So he got back into the grove of picking the gravel for food. if he finds a flake he'll spit it out, but the peas he eats. he may never eat flakes again. We need to build his body fat back up for his next adventure :doh11: .

so I think this is the end of the 911. happy ending. :)

Duncan and I thank you guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is wonderful news, Duncan Fishy!! :happydance

I watched your video, and he really looks good. And he IS a big fish! May I ask how big his tank is? I don't think you mentioned it in a previous post, or I missed it. That was the first thing that popped right at me: the tank looks so small for him. It looks like the tank is about as deep as the fish is long, so he might have a hard time turning in it. I just say it because single tails do need a larger water volume than double tails, and you also have less maintenance to do in point of water changes and such. A big fish polutes a small amount of water volume a lot faster than a big water volume. :)

But he does look good, and he is EATING! :heart

Guest duncan_fishy
That is wonderful news, Duncan Fishy!! :happydance

I watched your video, and he really looks good. And he IS a big fish! May I ask how big his tank is? I don't think you mentioned it in a previous post, or I missed it. That was the first thing that popped right at me: the tank looks so small for him. It looks like the tank is about as deep as the fish is long, so he might have a hard time turning in it. I just say it because single tails do need a larger water volume than double tails, and you also have less maintenance to do in point of water changes and such. A big fish polutes a small amount of water volume a lot faster than a big water volume. :)

But he does look good, and he is EATING! :heart

yes. he loves peas. its all that he'll eat right now. and he wants more more more. he is back to his old ways. If he catches me looking at him he'll start begging for food. he is so impatient that he is poking his head out of the water so we can put the pea in his big open mouth. he still fraks out easy it I walk to fast past the tank. but he is doing real good.

its a 29 gallon tank. its 12 inches wide. tip to tail he is a tiny bit bigger then the tank. so he is 2 inches away from the world record(14"). 29 is the best I can do for him in my old house. I actually moved him from a 18 gallon tank in January. when we first got him he lived in a Dixie cup. besides, if we get him a bigger tank he'll just have a higher velocity next time he tries to knock the lid off the tank. we do two 5 gallon water changes a week. it helps us regulate his temperature in the summer, we don't have AC, and I'll keep 2 gallon of filtered water for him in the Frigidaire.

but trust me, its all Duncan, I don't have any gold fish skills. he has out lived 8 tank mates. Which is why he is Duncan MacLeod, the highlander fishy.

Guest duncan_fishy
I just read through this topic & i wanted to say i am so glad your little guy is OK!!! :)

I've read thru your little fishies 911 thread. and I feel for ya. I lost a fan tail about 2 years ago that had air bladder problems for about a year. I hope your little guy pulls thru.

He does look so GOOD! :thumbs:

As a tip for that lid incident not happening again - maybe putting a stack of books on top, so he doesn't get any ideas next time. And if it gets too hot in the tank during the summer with the lid on, try one of those reptile lids, which are basically nothing but a frame around and a mesh on top. That way air can circulate, but dear Duncan can't go on to any new adventures? :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest duncan_fishy

update:

he is 100%

he begs for food and likes to be hand fed again. and he like flakes again to.

thanks to all.