My Goldfish Had A Terrible Accident, Fish Out Of Water, He Needs Your Help

Guest duncan_fishy

Guest duncan_fishy
How are the water parameters?

Eyes popping...like pop eye...and fungus...any chance for a picture?

I am rooting for both of you! :heart

ph is still 7.4

NH3 is still very low almost zero

NO2 is very high almost 1 ppm which is the limit of my test kit.

this new "fungus" also seems to have strings.

Can one of you guys give me some advice on the carbon filter vs the antibiotic? Antibiotic says to remove the carbon from the filter. But that means I loose filtering capability. Do I really need to remove the filter? I did, but the tank is starting to have an algae bloom, water is getting yellow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to remove the whole filter, just the carbon part. You can slit open the filter and pour out the carbon and put the filter sleeve back in. It will work the same without filtering out your meds.

Trinket: Couldn't strings coming off be slime coat related? Algae bloom....as long as there is good aeriation wouldn't this be helpful in this situation...green water?

If nitrite is up to 1 then I would do a water change. Perfect water conditions here are needed...unless you got the nitrite/nitrate backwards. Any ammonia?

Can one of you guys give me some advice on the carbon filter vs the antibiotic? Antibiotic says to remove the carbon from the filter. But that means I loose filtering capability. Do I really need to remove the filter? I did, but the tank is starting to have an algae bloom, water is getting yellow.

Sounds like the water is burning. Acidic. Nitrites must be zero. The limit of your test kit is 1PPM ?? Which test are you using?

You need to replace the carbon with something else- filter floss the white sponge is fine. Only "carbon" or "charcoal" removes meds not the soft white floss stuff.

Guest duncan_fishy

Sounds like the water is burning. Acidic. Nitrites must be zero. The limit of your test kit is 1PPM ?? Which test are you using?

You need to replace the carbon with something else- filter floss the white sponge is fine. Only "carbon" or "charcoal" removes meds not the soft white floss stuff.

PH was 7.4. which I thought was OK?

the test is a red sea "fresh care multi test". has 2 PH tests hi and low. a NO2 test and a NH3/NH4 test, and I also use a a second "deluxe pH" and an "Ammonia kit" from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals to double check.

I'll cut the charcoal out of the blue filter and put it back. we did a 5 gallon water change today. when I got home tonight, I removed the towel I was using for a cover. and he actually came to the surface to beg for food. but he is very clumsy. he managed to eat some flaks. :) its nice to see signs of life.

Any sign of life is hopeful and very encouraging.

By acidic I was referring to the nitrites you have showing. Also Maracyn/tetracyline/many other meds are acidic.

Just to be safe, test the pH from the tank again, it can drop over as little as a day when using meds in the water or with nitrites..

Guest duncan_fishy

I turned the lights on and there are little tiny worms coating the bottom 2 inches of the tank wall. . I guess its not algae. some of them worms are alive. they don't seem to be on him anymore. maybe the anitbotic got them out of him? should I kleen them off the wall?

he is floating again.

What do you mean by on him? Did you see worms on him or coming out of him? There are all kinds of worms. there are those that come from inside and those that live on...and then there are the harmless ones that cling to tank sides and never go near the fish (called planaria).

Guest duncan_fishy
What do you mean by on him? Did you see worms on him or coming out of him? There are all kinds of worms. there are those that come from inside and those that live on...and then there are the harmless ones that cling to tank sides and never go near the fish (called planaria).

yeah its planaria. apparently we have been trying to feed him, too much. there is a lot of uneaten food in the gravel. normally he chews on the gravel to get every last flake :( , the fuzz we saw this morning may have just been planaria on the tank walls, tricking our eyes.

so he is floating butt up again. at least he is hanging out by the filter.

picture of his big anus

duncan_butt1.jpg

Hmm. Hanging out by the filter is not so good. It often means the fishes gills are not working well and he is looking for more oxygen, or trying to use the pipe to balance maybe too.

Can you get a pic of his eyes? Do his eyes look any clearer now?

What day are you on with the TC meds?

Guest duncan_fishy
Hmm. Hanging out by the filter is not so good. It often means the fishes gills are not working well and he is looking for more oxygen, or trying to use the pipe to balance maybe too.

Can you get a pic of his eyes? Do his eyes look any clearer now?

What day are you on with the TC meds?

treatment #3 just went in.

he just had a clear poop. like egg white. his anus let out some red blood too, just a tiny bit of blood. he's had white specs n his eyes for about three years. if figured it was cataracts. besides that his eyes look clear.

I've been watching this thread from the start and I am SOOOOO rooting for you and Duncan! And you couldn't be getting better advice! :)

Good luck! Duncan is a fighter thats for sure.

Guest duncan_fishy

well. he is hanging out at the bottom. still got the swollen butt. is not interested in eating. but he doesn't look too unhappy.

Guest duncan_fishy
Well doesn't look too unhappy is better than we were a few days ago!! :)

Hang in there. How is the slime coat?

I don't know how to check his slime coat.

Does it look like strings coming off of him? Does it look cloudy/thick? Is there any redness...where the slime coat got rubbed off during his stay on the floor? Or does it just look "normal"? ;)

Guest duncan_fishy
Does it look like strings coming off of him? Does it look cloudy/thick? Is there any redness...where the slime coat got rubbed off during his stay on the floor? Or does it just look "normal"? ;)

some redness has returned to his abdomin, I think from sitting on the bottom of the tank. besides that he is a shinny white fishy.

he does alot of swiming in place. and still doesn't want to eat. looking somewhat skinny now. but he is still hanging in. still has big clear poop.

what is the trick with using garlic to get him to eat? do I use garlic paste?

Edited by duncan_fishy

typically I add garlic to my gel food....all blended up.

However, some people swear by rubbing the stuff on something that it helps. :idont

Have you tried cooked, de-shelled peas? I have never known a fish to not like them! Otherwise you could whip up a small batch of gel food with lots of vitamins and protein with the garlic in it.

How is he doing today? I am going to be offline (later this afternoon) until Sunday but I will pop in to check back then! Hang in there! :goodluck

Guest duncan_fishy
How are things with the big fellow, Duncan Fishy? :)

he is 90% better. but he will not eat. I think this is the final hurdle for him. all the swelling is gone. and he swims around the tank. and doesn't sit of the bottom. and/or he is not floating butt up anymore. but he seems somewhat agitated. and he is very skinny. and his tummy is starting to sink in a tiny bit. he needs to eat. used to chew on the gravel all day and all night. he is just not interested in eating. he hasn't eaten in a week.

maybe its time to salt the tank?

Guest duncan_fishy
He looks so awesome !!!!!!!!! :):):)

A little floaty....maybe some peas will help....the vitamins will help too! Yay!

he ate 3 peas. :gcar:

. He was uninterested until I got some crushed garlic peas near him. and he actually snapped at a pea that sank past his head. but he missed. after that I dive bombed him with peas. I got 2 holes in one and he found one pea on the bottom of the tank. he ate. wow.

he is having trouble finding peas in the gravel and is too skittish to get food from my hand. when he try's to get the pea out of the gravel, he'll suck up gravel near the pea then spit out the gravel and then swim away. its very frustrating for him and me.. he used to spend 24/7 sucking on gravel. he got luck with one pea.