New Fish!

Nomi

So, as you may know, two of my fish (Ophie the telescope and Gilbert the pearlscale) died a while ago. My Dad had been mentioning how poorly Pigeon, the remaining fantail, was doing by himself, and I picked him up this little lionhead or ranchu (he was advertised and sold as a lionhead, but he does seem to display traits from both). Now, this little guy is just adorkable!

Here are too many pictures for your enjoyment!

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Now. I need to improve upon his wen (if I can) so I've been looking for some good wen-growing foods. I do have bloodworms, but they are freeze dried so I'm wary of using them. I've heard good things about hikari lionhead, so I'll try to find that. Are there any other suggestions? I need to replace the food anyway (it's getting old) and would like to get the best thing possible.

Also, this little guy needs a name!

He's adorable! :Congrats: When we chose names we found a english to japaneese converter online that was fun.

Very cute! You could go with another bird name...Pelican? Heron? Dove? Seagull? Robin?

His color reminds me of a Heron's!

He has a really nice curve to his back, pretty smooth I think.

Congrats on the new fish! I hope they'll keep each other company for a long time.

nice fish! and love ur tank! how big is it? I cant wait till I get a big big tank :D

Thank you for all the replies! I like the idea of another bird name, I was thinking something like Sparrow (a la Jack) or Chickadee. They are getting along great (following each other, no bullying issues). However, I've been told that Pigeon is bottom sitting (though still seemingly healthy otherwise) so I'm going in tomorrow morning for a water change/water test and to examine her. Hopefully all is well.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a bird name too! And, as it's a blue ranchu, Heron (as in Blue Heron) would work great! Although, since Pidgeons and Doves are similar, Dove would be good! But, between Sparrow and Chickadee, I like Sparrow better.

Btw, I think a blue lionhead (or ranchu) is very unusual! I've not yet seen or heard of one! Very interesting! In that regard, if a blue lionhead is anything like a blue oranda, blues just don't seem to be able to grow much of a wen. Don't know what it is about the blue color that causes that to happen, but, if it is, indeed, the blue that causes that, chances are, your little darlin' might never get much of a wen.

And, I definitely think it's a lionhead.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Did I mention how stunning that blue lionhead is?!!! And not one spot of copper! That is truly a find!

So.....????? What's the name, what's the name?

So, my parents and I are chatting one night, and they mention that the new fish I got is a 'bully'. Apparently, he's been chasing Pigeon around the tank.... oh no. XD And sure enough, when I next get in I see my little Bluejay (Jay or Blue for short, seeing how he is a blue after all) indeed has breeding stars, and is indeed chasing around Pigeon, who's abdomen is looking rather swollen.... >_<

Oh, and we seem to be having an invasion of blue goldfish in Edmonton.... and my tank! *laughs evilly*

nice fish! and love ur tank! how big is it? I cant wait till I get a big big tank :D

It's only 33 gallons (30 with all the gravel and decorations and whatnot). I can't wait until I get a really big tank either!

Guest I*LUV*ORANDAS

OK.........I have to admit it.........although I don't really favor Ranchu's or Lionheads..............that is one little cutie you have there!

I have 8 fish in a 45 so I know all about wanting a bigger tank *lol* Most of mine are orandas (and of all the orandas, the blue has just bumps for a wen whereas the others are really growing their wens). You asked about food. I feed mine a big variety of foods but every single day one of my orandas has a "grow pimple" on their wen because their wen is growing and I have to say that in the past month or so most of them (other than the blue) have grow significantly more "wennage". I mostly feed Pro Gold, Hikari Lionhead, frozen peas (thawed and heated in the microwave and then de-shelled), frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, frozen mysis shrip, frozen krill and frozen brine shrimp cubes. What I did is every week I picked up a different frozen food type and now I have a variety of proteins for them. They LOVE it. I normally fill a little cup with warm water, thaw the cube and let it sit for about 15 minutes and the worms really "plump" up. Then I mix it up and pour 1/4 of it at a time until they finish it and then add another 1/4 until it's gone. They just go nuts for it. I can't believe how fast some of my fish have grown nor the wennage that is developing. This is a good time for wen development too. Don't worry if you see the white pimples in the head (although, like mentioned, blues don't seems to get the wens like other colors for some reason).

Super cute little guy you have there. Your other fish looks happy to have a companion!