Aquarama 2009 - 11th International Ornamental Fish And Accessories Exhibition

Aquarama 2009 is probably the biggest aquarium show of its kind in the world. Yesterday, 26th May 2009 was the Bench-in of all the competition fishes.

After taking some pictures at the start, I completely forgot to continue to capture the moments due to the many stuff that I had to do to bench-in my precious fish and also catching-up with all my old friends.. So these are all I got. I shall return on Thursday to get some more photos.

2hfncx5.jpg

At registration for benching-in.

2prxnip.jpg

My bubble-eye entry.

2nuiqsw.jpg

My self-bred red/white oranda entry

24vktjp.jpg

This is "Fatty Weng"

30crt6p.jpg

This is my self-bred black oranda (reserve fish). She was call-up for "duty", as one of my "kaki's" fish died on the bench-in day.

Cool! I hope to get to a fish show someday, it looks like it was quite the event.

Event just got started. Will update later.

After two futile attempts and finally the third attempt at competition, "Fatty Weng" has finally come out as champion in the Aquarama 2009 pearlscale category A.

After two futile attempts and finally the third attempt at competition, "Fatty Weng" has finally come out as champion in the Aquarama 2009 pearlscale category A.

inhnx2.jpg

This is "Fatty Weng" in the competition tank!

Wish we had those here in the south part of the USA. Just so I can look.

I wish they had them ANYWHERE in the US. Of course, there are always the importers, but the general quality of the goldfish population in stores could be so much better. Years ago I could find a nice quality fish in almost every store - those times are gone. :( Here in Germany its the same thing - I found ONE store so far with a little better fish. Everything else is more like lower quality fancies or shubis and comets endlessly, and their quality doesn't knock me over either. :rolleyes:

Mr. Lim, Fatty Wang sure turned into a beautiful fish! That little baby a year ago grew up very nicely.

Nice fish there, Mr. Lim!! :heart

I am wondering with Fatty Weng and his big belly - do you notice any reddening on the underside of the belly sometimes, since he naturally spends a lot more time on the bottom than other fish would.

Nice fish there, Mr. Lim!! :heart

I am wondering with Fatty Weng and his big belly - do you notice any reddening on the underside of the belly sometimes, since he naturally spends a lot more time on the bottom than other fish would.

Generally he will not stay at the bottom. He did so during the competition is because the water is too cold for him. At home, he will be swimming around looking for nothing but FOOD.

Beautiful fish!! Congratulations on your win! I love love love Black Jade. So beautiful.

Congratulations on your wins! Your fish are amazing and beautiful, I really enjoyed looking at them! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how it is in asian shows - your bubble eye has a dorsal fin. A perfect fin, but still - the standard with bubble eyes ususally is without the dorsal. It seems that it isn't a setback in the Aquarama show that the fish has a dorsal. How is that being handled by the judge(s)?

I wonder how it is in asian shows - your bubble eye has a dorsal fin. A perfect fin, but still - the standard with bubble eyes ususally is without the dorsal. It seems that it isn't a setback in the Aquarama show that the fish has a dorsal. How is that being handled by the judge(s)?

Firstly, there is no fixed standard for the bubble-eye, for example long tail or short tail, dorsal or no dorsal. Secondly he is entered in the Open Class. Any thing gose so long as it does not conform to any classified Class.

Take for example telescope pearlscale. Some were entered in Pearlscale and some in the Open Class. Another example is the Chinese ranchu/lionhead. Some were entered under ranchu and some in the open.

What do you think of a bubble celestrial eye with pearlscale body. What class should this fish be entered in?

Well, looks like in your area the standards are a lot more relaxed than in the US, or the UK. In the US, if a bubble eye has a dorsal fin, it will never get a rank in the competition. Maybe if he would be the only bubble eye, but I doubt it. Tail conformation isn't as important, but dorsals are a bit tricky with the bubble eye. Actually, with any supposed dorsalless fish - ranchu, lionheads and celestials have the same problem.

I think that the newer breeds take a lot longer to be officially recognized in the US. They are a lot worse in the UK - a fish with even the sightest off within its standards will not be allowed in the show. A US judge however can still give that "not accepted" fish his own personal choice of "Judge's choice".

Here in Germany its terrible when it comes to the fancies. Most are classified as "Torture breeds", and you have to look long and hard to find a store that even sells them. Among them are the celestials, bubble eyes, telescopes, and even some ranchu or ryukin. The discussion is that those fish are extremely handicapped in their movement, and therefore its torture for the fish. Personally, I think with a little thought put into the housing, those fish can live happily throughout their lives.

As for the bubbleeye with the pearlscale body, well... It is a bubble eye, and if the pearlscale body type is recognized as just an underbreed of the bubble eye, then it could go into the bubble eye class. Just like a ranchu with a pearlscale body would most likely go into the ranchu class, yes? However, just from the uniqueness of it, I would rather put it into open class. :) Or the pearlie class with the bubbles as "extra" features... The possibilities are endless! :D

Well, looks like in your area the standards are a lot more relaxed than in the US, or the UK. In the US, if a bubble eye has a dorsal fin, it will never get a rank in the competition. Maybe if he would be the only bubble eye, but I doubt it. Tail conformation isn't as important, but dorsals are a bit tricky with the bubble eye. Actually, with any supposed dorsalless fish - ranchu, lionheads and celestials have the same problem.

I think that the newer breeds take a lot longer to be officially recognized in the US. They are a lot worse in the UK - a fish with even the sightest off within its standards will not be allowed in the show. A US judge however can still give that "not accepted" fish his own personal choice of "Judge's choice".

Here in Germany its terrible when it comes to the fancies. Most are classified as "Torture breeds", and you have to look long and hard to find a store that even sells them. Among them are the celestials, bubble eyes, telescopes, and even some ranchu or ryukin. The discussion is that those fish are extremely handicapped in their movement, and therefore its torture for the fish. Personally, I think with a little thought put into the housing, those fish can live happily throughout their lives.

As for the bubbleeye with the pearlscale body, well... It is a bubble eye, and if the pearlscale body type is recognized as just an underbreed of the bubble eye, then it could go into the bubble eye class. Just like a ranchu with a pearlscale body would most likely go into the ranchu class, yes? However, just from the uniqueness of it, I would rather put it into open class. :) Or the pearlie class with the bubbles as "extra" features... The possibilities are endless! :D

?

Whatever the standard, they have to be clearly defined.

I understand that oranda considered as awesome in my area will be disqualified in a UK goldfish competition.