Latest Pictures Of The Goldies.

Vira and Cirius, both Fantails, are now about 4 months old. They are currently in a 10 gallon tank, upgrading to a 40 in 3 weeks. (:

003-3.jpg

Vira

014.jpg

Vira investigating a pea, as Cirius lurks in the background.

018.jpg

Cirius taking his turn investigating the pea.

022-1.jpg

She's still not so sure about it.

027-2.jpg

Finally, Cirius decided to be the brave one, as Vira lurked.

And now for the infamous bucket pictures...

030-1.jpg

A slightly blurry picture of Vira. (She's hard to take because she seems to enjoy swimming away just as I go to snap a shot.)

041-1.jpg

A surprisingly good picture of Vira. (at least in my opinion.) You can actually see that her eyes are two different colours if you look closely.

045-1.jpg

Cirius is more co-operative when it comes to picture taking.

046-1.jpg

And here we have Cirius. One of very few shots where you can actually see the black on his tail, and fins.

Any advice, opinions or constructive criticisms would be appreciated! :)

I have noticed that since I bought them, Vira (Calico) has become brighter, and more colourful than when I first got her. I have read a few different things about colour change and such, but I'm not sure what is true, and what is false. What sort of things affects a goldies colours? Also, I am considering buying a 3rd Fantail once I upgrade too my 40 gallon in a couple weeks. Does anyone think there would be any problems such as space, dominance (do goldies establish a pecking order?) or anything other problems?

Your fish are adorable :)

Food can have an effect on coloration and it's likely that they have been getting better quality food with you than they were in the pet store. I think 3 fish in a 40 gallon would be fine as long as you have enough filtration. Goldfish do tend to have pecking orders, but if they are all small I don't think you will have any real issues with that much space. Overcrowding tends to lead to issues with aggression.

Aw, thanks! :)

Cirius seems to be growing much faster than Vira. I am wondering whether I should go out and purchase a 3rd fish, or if I should just wait until I get my 40 gallon? Both Vira and Cirius are only about... 2.5 inches at the moment? (I'm guessing though) But I'm still not sure whether it would be alright to add a third...

I am also wondering what other types of fish do well with fantails? I've been told by a few people that I should get a pleco to help keep the aquarium clean, but I have seen some pretty huge pleco's, and im not sure if its a good idea or not... Any suggestions? :)

Don't get a pleco!! At least not a common, they tend to attack goldies and they don't really keep your tank much cleaner...they actually poop a LOT. Here's a recent thread on algae eaters and goldfish http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=77396&hl=

It is wonderful you are going to upgrade their tank to something more fitting. Don't forget to get enough filteration too for your pets.

I agree no pleco.

Aw they're so cute! I agree...don't rush getting another fish yet. Patience will pay off in time :D

Yay! So, I was surfing Kijiji, and found a 30 gallon tank, good condition with hood, and light. (no filter though.)

Anywho, so I contacted the guy, and he wants 20 bucks for the tank, light, rocks, ornaments and plants.

Apparently he started with salt water fish, and didn't have enough room in his apartment for the old tank.

So yay me, my fishies now have a tank!

:)