You Won't Believe What I Did!

I was going to do a fairly small water change (just did a BIG one last weekend!). I planned to really give the gravel a quick vacuum & that would be it!! I was vacuuming away when I managed to knock my ALMOST NEW bag of ProGold IN TO THE TANK!!! A N D it was (dog gone it!!) O P E N!!!! Most if it dumped into the tank.

The goldies thought they were in heaven.......I realized it wasn't HEAVEN, it was that OTHER PLACE!! I ended up having to scoop out most of it with a fish net. You will not believe how cloudy the water was. It was brown!!! I was freaking out. I wasn't even sure they could Breathe!!! I decided to scoop them up & plop them into the 30 gallon tank (talk about OVERCROWDING!) til I could get the clean up under control.

I emptied the tank AND had to really give the filters a good rinsing!

This took me a couple of hours to complete the Nightmare Cleaning!! :hide:

Edited by Jeana727

OMG, poor you... :o

But those things definitley happens. It's good that you took them to another tank until cleaning was over, I'm glad that all end up ok. :)

I learned not to keep food on top any tank, just for that reason. Been/there, done that with pellet food. Knocked over an open bag, mini-pellets shot out like cannon fire straight into the tank water. They were floating pellets, so I could net most out. But still, it was not fun. I would imagine flake food would make something like split pea soup quickly. Not FUN either.

OH - I am SO sorry. That is really expensive. The cleaning is annoying - but losing the food is EXPENSIVE. I think I would immediately cook it into gel food - and recover the food that way. Since it is already wet down, drop it into boiling water (soften and cook and sterlize) - add veggies to blanch and gel it up. Salvaging that expensive food is important, I would think!!!!

I have a small scrow top container that.... I think some Medigold came in years and years ago. I put in a little of my pellets - and feed from that each day. It never has too much - and I can keep the rest sealed airtight until I need to refill the feeding jar.

I bet your fishes were surprised!!!!

Aww darn! I wish I had thought of making it into gel food!!!!!! DARN!!! I was so freaked out about getting it out!! I threw it away!!! :doh11: You would not believe how FAST it mucked up the water! It looked like a MUD HOLE!

I am definately getting a container to store it in up under my tank. And I like the idea of a smaller "daily" use container. ((I do exactly that with the Mazuri)).

Luckily my fish seem to be doing just fine. ((I decided to skip the evening feeding!)) The water is a little cloudy but that's just due to a 100% water change. I'll just be glad when this TRAUMA is behind me!

I'm sorry to hear that, Jeana. Mistakes happen. At least, you know better now not to leave containers open nor on top of the tanks. :) I'd imagine sinking foods are indeed more of a PITA than floating ones.

This evening, thankfully, my tank is once again clear & the lil' piggies are right back begging to be fed like nothing ever happened!! I now have (what's left) of my pellets in a plastic jar which screws shut & have a little container to use daily!

Lesson Learned! :exactly