Feeding Once A Day?

stech

I have a bunch of side-view 3.5 to 4.5 inch Ranchus. I'm feeding them pellets foods. How often should I be feeding them. Once a day or twice a day? I don't want to risk of overfeeding them ( swim bladder or floating issue ). Feeding portions is about few pellets for each.

I feed sinking pellets such as Hikari Lionhead, Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish and New Life Spetrum. Alternating them. Right now I feed them twice a day, so sounds like I'm handling feeding schedule ok.

lasojuju, what brand of pellets are you feeding, if sinking ones do you soak?

Hikari Lionhead, Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish(purple bag) . Exactly what i feed them plus green peas :exactly soak it for 30 seconds

Edited by lasojuju

I feed once a day. I turn on the light and feed the fish. The light signals that it is feeding time - and they start hunting. I only feed on Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs. and Saturday. I skip Friday and Sunday.

I have found that keeping the fish hungry and active is really the best. They are much better breeders (a fat fish will NOT breed), much healthier ( a fish that is stuffed can have digestive problems leading to instabilities in the water.)

I have NO problem with fish growth. My year fry continuously have to fit into the adult class for they are bigger than 3 inchies in body. I feed a high quality food - gel and a variety of pellets made into gel, as well as fresh foods. I think more of the growth has to do with water volume and genetics than it does with over feeding. An overfed fish is too fatty - and will not breed and does not grow well.

Fry are fed differently - as newly hatched they are fed every 2-4 hours depending on age. AS they grow, the feedings are spread out until they are fed twice a day at about 12 -14 weeks. Different breeds and different lines within those breeds seem to need different adjustments. I go by the growth and needs of the fish - as well as the numbers in a spawn. A spawn of 1-3 thousand is fed more often to insure that each fry gets sufficiant food. As they age and the number drop, you can guarantee a feeding for each by watching and the feedings drop.

You CAN "pump" a fish with loads of high protien food - growing it fast and furiously. Such a fish can easily top 6-8 inches in less than 2 years. But fish treated such as that are too fatty, do not breed, are often unstable in the water and, most importantly, are highly susceptible to dying at a very young age. I have had a few "pumped" fish - and I have pumped a few. Sure - I won a show with them. But then they promptly died .....commonly at only about 4-5 years of age. They never bred. That seems to be a waste of a life in my opinion.

A slightly hungry fish is active, muscular, alert and healthy. They are breeders, swimmers, and strong in their immunities.

I have got to where I don't feed everyday anymore. I feed about once every other days. They are still growing and doing just fine.

PS please excuse my spelling. I have yet to find a spell checker for FireFox.