Happy Update On My Snails

So last we chatted, my snails shells were deteriorating at the problem growth sites. I wound up adding crushed coral in filter media bags, about 4 cups in a 10 gallon tank, with 6 gallons of water. Way overkill but I really wanted to give them a boost of calcium. My GH and Calcium levels before I added the coral were GH 6 and Calcium 0 (API drops). 24 hours after adding the coral I tested again: GH 55 and Calcium 16. Yay! I still wasn't comfortable looking at their shells so I used aquarium apoxy putty (green on the outside white on the inside) and sculpted new shells for my snails. Total pain in the rear end as the putty bonds to EVERYTHING, but once it's tacky dry you can use tools to shape to a more aesthetically pleasing shape on the shell. I let them dry for 45 minutes before putting them back in the aquarium. After a few minutes the little critters came out and were wandering around again.

This is when I noticed the flaw. I hadn't paid attention to how thick the putty was as I applied it. I was concentrating on getting it off my fingers and on the snail. So when my snails were crawling up at the water line on the glass and decided to come back down, and they made the trip in a quarter of the time cause they were top-heavy, I laughed. Really. It was funny. But I felt bad for the guy that kept sommersaulting when he'd right himself. So I took a callus remover from the the store (has the tiny dots sticking out like on the small side of a cheese grater) and started trimming them down. The little guys really didn't like this. I wonder how loud it was to them? They pulled themselves as far into their shells as they could go! Once they were all prettied up and slimmed down they went back into the tank. So much better.

I've been feeding them blanched organic spinach leaves exclusively. They eat it up so fast!!! And they must be happier because since all of this I've found three egg clutches and my trapdoors have had a zillion babies.

One thing I have learned is that I shouldn't change more than 30% water unless I'm adding more rushed coral so I can keep the water levels somewhat stable.

I hope that someone can find this info useful...and sorry for the bad grammer!!

That's great to hear! I have never had to repair my snails' shells (lucky for them, our water here is liquid granite!) but it's great to hear how it went for you.

Post pics when you get a chance! I've never seen the repaired shells, only ever read about them.

A zillion trap babies?! Omg goodness how lovely! I think it's funny how they are live bearers, and one day its like, oh,,,, okay, they've doubled,,,,,

If you're in the states and looking to lighten your trapdoor load, I'm definatley looking to add some weight to mine,,,, lol!