Assassin Snails And Trumpet Snails

Lupin

Just thought I'd share my snail collection.

Eggs of assassin snails dangling on the plants.

Eggs003.jpg

Eggs002.jpg

Assassin using his tube to suck a turtle stick like carrot juice. Nom nom nom...

Eggs001.jpg

M. loebbeckei preparing for a dramatic Tarzan role.

Eggs001-1.jpg

Edited by Lupin

Beautiful snails! I've never heard of an assassin snail before. They look very similar to vexillum shells, which are marine snails. Nice tank!

Nice. How are they doing in your tank?

Did you get them to take care of a pest snail population?

Hello Tinkokeshi,

The assassins are in a 6g tank by themselves. I bought only nine and currently have over 250 eggs waiting to hatch. *sighs* Fortunately, they don't contribute too much poo so you can try 3-4 assassins per gallon. They're barely active spending most of their time lofting and sexing.lol

I don't really have any pest problem with any of my snails, even extra MTS. My assassin snail tank currently has about 5 baby MTS left since they ate the last 20 MTS I dropped for them. Average meal per assassin is 1-2 adult snails per day.

Beautiful snails! I've never heard of an assassin snail before. They look very similar to vexillum shells, which are marine snails. Nice tank!

Thank you. :) Yes, they do look similar to those. It has been widely debated if they are indeed related to those or not. So far, they're natives only in Indonesia and Thailand. Indonesian assassins are more widely available.

Edited by Lupin

In the absence of snails, the assassins will take bloodworms, dear. As far as dried foods, they do eat them but they prefer meaty ones like bloodworms. Doesn't matter if you have to feed them only bloodworms but you have to make sure, just like other snails, the pH and KH are high to avoid shell pitting and erosions.

Here is a database for assassins. We've compiled all our experiences there.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192938

Edited by Lupin

Where did you get them from? :)

Well, the first five were imported by a friend from Europe. I had been looking for them for almost a year considering here in the Philippines, snails rarely catch the eye of thousands of hobbyists who generalize them as scavengers or unappealing for that matter. The last four were from another friend who subsequently sent them to a friend in common who owns a petstore.

It turns out I have 5 females and 4 males later on when I caught 3 pairs copulating after my week long vacation away from home. It took me a month to grow them to an inch size which is the final size for assassins. Males are a little smaller though.

Edited by Lupin