Help Please! Flashing, Jumping, Etc.

He does seem a little floaty, and like his tail end wants to be up higher than his head. I ordered some spirulina flakes from goldfishconnection too. Should I give him those? I will try some peas here in a little while.

No other medications besides the salt and prazi have been given.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, he's still flashing!! He swims real fast and jerky sometimes, and today he tries to flip over or upside down when he's flashing, like real quick flipping and twisting.

Last night, I changed a tiny bit more than 30% of the water and added the 2.5 ml of Prime, but did not add back in any salt. So now it's one third less than .3%, whatever that may be. I guess that's 40 tsp now, instead of 60? Is that right? But he was doing some flashing yesterday before I did the water change and lowered the salt level, so I don't think it's necessarily related to less salt. What does this mean? Could it be some other type of parasite? Or just really bad flukes? And he's still swimming through the air bubbles more than usual too. Then this noon I added another dose of 1/4 tsp. of AquaPrazi, which is the 4th dose. But it was 6 days apart from the last one.

What else should I do? He did eat pretty good last night, some of the larger pellet pro gold. Do you think I should give him some Medi Gold? I think I remember when I treated him with prazi a couple years ago, I gave him medi gold at the same time, and that seemed to work well.

Also, I'm worried because I'm supposed to leave this Sat., June 20, for a family vacation. We will be back on next Wed., the 24th. What if he's not completely better? We were thinking of asking a neighbor girl to take care of our 2 cats and 1 dog, and the goldfish. But her family has no experience with fish.... I'm worried about it. We don't know many people or anyone who is experienced with fish! What should I do this week to make sure he's in good shape before we leave on Sat.?? What about this continued flashing? I did check the water readings last night, and the nitrites were 0, ammonia 0 or maybe .25, and the nitrates were 10. I did not check the pH.

I look forward to your reply!!

Okay. You did a 1/3 water change and your salt was at 0.3% before that so yes now your salt is at 0.2%. If you'd had it in there for at least 2 weeks at 0.3% like you said you did, then thats okay to be bringing it down. I suppose it's possible that you have a salt resistant parasite. Not as common, but possible for sure. There are a few things that can happen with, and yes a few parasites that are not cured with salt typically anyway.

I would continue with a few more treatments of prazi. Flukes can be very stubborn and a high fluke load can take some time to get rid of...

You also said that he has some floaty issues, so I am not sure I would do medigold. There is no fin rot, bleeding, ulcers or anything OUTSIDE correct?

I think it's time to get a mod in here to look at the thread to see if there is anything we are missing. For now I would just keep doing as your are doing. He's still eating and swimming and that means that hopefully this is not an emergency.

As for going on vacation, I would keep it as simple as possible. Do a water change before you go, and one when you come back. How long are you going for? If you don't have anyone experienced then I wouldn't ask them to water change or anything like that. Maybe just give them some food for a few feedings. Every couple days is fine, and just give them enough in a little pack for each day so they don't overfeed.

I'll PM a mod and get them to come check out again okay?

When is the last time you did your water tests? Did you ever get drop tests for all of them? (It's a long thread to read through), Remember ammonia and nitrite and even a low PH can cause flashing so please check your water and post back as soon as possible..

I did water tests on Sat. night. The ammonia was 0 or maybe .25, the nitrites were 0, and the nitrates were 10. I did not check the pH. I will do it again later today.

Now he is back to bottom sitting with clamped fins!! Yesterday he was swimming around with fins up, but also flashing. But now he is sitting in one spot on the bottom with fins clamped. And once in a while he looks like he tries to take a big breath, opening his mouth real big while his fin goes up for a split second. Oh boy..., this is taking soo long and getting frustrating. Please let me know what to do. Thanks!

P.S. By the way, I don't know what you mean by "did you ever get drop tests for all of them? It's a long thread to read through". What thread? Where can I find some info. on that?

I don't know but it still sounds like parasites to me.. Still seems like it could be flukes!

I asked you this the other day but never saw a response. Did you remove the carbon from your filter before treating with prazi?

Your readings all seem okay. Just wanted to make sure they were all in check. Always good to double check.

By the way, I don't know what you mean by "did you ever get drop tests for all of them? It's a long thread to read through". What thread? Where can I find some info. on that?

Sorry to confuse you. There was someone I was helping that only had strip tests. I was thinking it was you and I was saying "did you ever get drop tests?" and since THIS thread is long and I was in a rush so I didn't want to go back and reread everything to find out if that was you or not. Not important now.

Yes, I did remove the carbon from the filter before giving prazi. It is still out. Has been out for a couple weeks now.

What else am I supposed to do? He's still doing a lot of bottom sitting with clamped fins! Would it hurt to give him the medigold? But I'm leaving this Sat. for a little getaway. We'll be back on Wed. the 24th. So we'll be gone from Saturday until Wednesday afternoon. Could you be more specific on what I should do before leaving for our trip, as far as when and how much of a water change, whether to do another dose of prazi, etc.. Also, a question I have - is it ok to freeze some de-shelled peas? I usually de-shell them myself right before feeding him some, but I wondered if it would be okay to have some already de-shelled and frozen in a baggy for the neighbors to give him once or twice while we're gone. Any ideas you have would be great! (Also of course what else to do to treat him for his illness).

I'm sorry I didn't get to you in time. Looks like you are already on your way..

Just in case. I would probably do a small water change before you go. Like the day before, or even the day of. Maybe 25% since sometimes the larger changes have been causing issues. And yes I would add one more dose of prazi before you go. The peas are good, and you can definately leave them for feedings while you are gone. Just make sure you warm them up in the microwave so they are nice and mushy : )

Then when you come home I would do the same thing. A 25% water change and one more dose of prazi.

At this point I think it might be worth trying the medigold. You haven't seen any issues with this fish being floaty or upside down right? You've salted, you've prazied and there are STILL issues, so I do agree it's time to try something else. The medigold you have is fresh right? You just bought it?