New Snail - Floating

Guest SpikenJack

Guest SpikenJack

I have owned a Betta for a few months now in his own five gallon tank. As Spring started and is continuing toward Summer, the humidity and temperature is rising steadily here. One of the short sides of the tank is covered with algae. So I bought a snail two days ago. The snail hasn't done anything. It's just been floating at the top. I haven't seen it outside at all. I don't know what to do.

They will do that. It might be just adjusting to the water and is a bit stressed out. I put one in my 3 gallon with 2 guppies and for the first couple of days it did the same thing. Now he is non stop, and is probably the best snail out of the 4 I have in growth. Give him some time.

Is it an Applesnail? What are your water readings? Snails react very badly to any ammonia or nitrite, so it would be good to know your water chemistry profile. Treatments like salt and parasite remedies will kill snails. Have you any in the water?

Take the snail out of the water and smell it. If it has died it will have a bad odour. Hopefully it is still alive; if so, it will need proper food rather than just the algae on the tank walls.

Guest SpikenJack

Thank you both for responding.

It's a Mystery snail. He smells like the tank. I do have food for him, my main reason for getting him though, was to keep the tank walls algae free. No salt or parasites in the water and the water readings aren't saying anything bad.

it will need proper food rather than just the algae on the tank walls.

What is proper snail food?

I've had snails for over a years (with no fish) and haven't feed them at all. They just ate the algae on the walls. Now a week ago I bought some snails. These snail were expensive so I would like to give them the proper food and proper care.