Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

Sudden Fish Death

Sad news. It has been a rough week. On Tuesday our dog had to get a lump removed that we thought was cancerous. He now has a completely shaved back and six stitches, but his lump came back as a sterile infecion...no cancer! So that was good news. It turns out his body was attacking his microchip, so they had to remove that.

Then Wednesday morning I had to leave for Chicago for work. I was really worried about our dog and kept calling to check in. Sadly, that night my husband called to let me know that Cowardly Lion had died. I was so focused on our pup that this took me by complete surprise.

I had last fed them at 9pm Tuesday night and he ate especially well, though a lot of the gel dropped to the bottom. I checked back with them at 11pm before the light went off and they were all tooling around doing fine. That was the last I saw of them.

The next night Geoff went to fed them around 9pm when he noticed Cowardly Lion lying on the bottom dead. He took him out and looked him over. There were no marks and no color loss at all. His eyes weren't clouded over at all, which makes me think he wasn't dead that long. Any ideas as to what could have happened? The only thing I can think of (and I wish I had thought to have Geoff look, but I'm not sure if he would have wanted to look any more than I would have) is that maybe he choked? He was a great bottom scavanger and the gravel I have is very sand-like (the same stuff Lynda has), but there are some larger peices. Here is a photo:

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...000_0001_00.jpg

Lion always was a little guy. Though he definately grew, it wasn't nearly as much as the others. He was the second largest of the three when I bought him, but quickly became the littlest. The water tests are perfect (PH 8, Nitrite and Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 10ppm). Could something else have been wrong?

Looking over the others, the only thing I see unusual is that Scaregrow has a white spot in her wen. It looks like normal growth to me, but you can see it a tiny bit in these photos.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...000_0006_00.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a...ll/000_0003.jpg

I am really at a loss. This seems so sudden. I had him and all of the others for a bit over eight months with no health problems or concerns at all. He was such a sweet little guy. I rushed to the store right before they closed to pick him up after first wondering if it was too soon to go through another QT.

Here is a picture of the three of them. RIP sweet one.

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk401/a.../000_0001-2.jpg

I forgot to add that today I got home late and got what I think will end up being a red light camera ticket...I turned left following through and the picture snapped.

Tommorrow I plan to do a large water change, 90%, but I don't know what else I should do to feel like the tank is safe???

NO. I haven't even read the post yet.. No.....

Okay I've read through now. I just can't believe it. I am totally in shock!! I JUST looked at those pictures the other day and was thinking about the great little group of fish you had there. I can't believe he's gone! I'm SOOO sorry, and I am also very sorry about the crappy week. Lord knows I've had my share of them lately.

I do believe your tank is safe.. Something sudden like that implies that it was NOT a problem with your water, or something that spreads. I know you are excellent about keeping your tank in order too.. It does appear it could be some sort of accident, or it could be something internal that we didn't see. Others have had fish be fine one day and gone the next. It's so hard to tell WHAT went wrong, but it does not seem like something that is going to pose a problem for the rest of them.

Keep an extra eye out of course, and watch for anything out of the ordinary.

I really am very sorry you lost him... You worked so hard to get that tank exactly how you wanted. How frustrating, and sad. :cry1

RIP little Lion..

I am glad that your dog is going to be okay... As much as I love my fish, I don't think any pet can equal how I feel about my dog, so I am really happy that he is going to be alright..

Oh! I forgot. From the looks of it the white area does seem to be normal wen growth. I've seen white areas like that many many times on my wenned fish. I hope so!

RIP lion......... :rip:

Edited by lasojuju

I'm sorry you lost your goldie. :rip:

It is sad, partly because it is so unexpected...but I guess that is better than watching him suffer. The other two seem to be doing just fine.

Should I do anything special or just watch and see? Should I be worried about my gravel?

Have you opened up Cowardly Lion yet, to see if he had any sort of internal problems?

Oh no...thats a shock Amy...Lion was a sweet baby...I am sooo sorry this happened...but I do think your tank is safe and this is not something that you did wrong... :(

RIP lil Lion... :heart

Hope you feel better..and Sparrow too..Hugsssssssss for u...

Thanks, JC. He was my sweet little runt.

And Sparrow is doing great now. His stitches come out Saturday.

I am glad Sparrow is doing well now...and also the 2 babies.. :)

I am so sorry about your lion but I am happy about your dog. It looks like you did everything right with your fish.I do not know what I would do without my dog, she is my best friend.

I'm so sorry, I always thought he was such a cute little fish :heart

He was a doll. A one of a kind find out here, too. Ranchus are really hard to find.

And thanks for everyone's concern about Sparrow. He is absolutely my best buddy. I am so glad that he handled surgery like a champ. Now I am just nervous about him not being microchipped, but I always thought microchips could be scary...turns out he can't handle any foreign material.