New Fish Has Ich/treating With Prazi

jsrtist

I really can't help but be a cheerleader! Sorry.

However, if she is dropsied/popeye have you changed from regular aquarium salt to epsom? Heater to control the tank temp (not that you probably need it just checking as if it is warm there as it is here)? Not sure if the metro is just for parasites from reading Imo's post. However, if she is NOT eating I would go with the General Cure of the metro if you can get it from your sister.

Pulling for you both!!! :heart

Thanks! Yeah, the weather has been in the high 90s and her water is staying consistently warm. I started treating with General Cure last night. I'm still confused about whether or not it treats bacterial infections. I also still don't know if the dropy is broguht on by bacteria or parasites. Since parasites have been the problem so far, I'm willing to bet it's that.

I'm not treating with any salt at the moment. I may start using epsom salt tomorrow with the next water change. What is the current dosage that eveyrone is recommending? It used to be such a tiny amount (1/8 tsp per gallon) that I doubt it did any good.

The general cure is for flukes and some anaerobic bacteria as well. It should not affect your cycle. Try the epsom too at half a teaspoon per 10 gallons. Yes its a small amount but strong. How is she doing today? Are the scales still dropsied /any better?

Hi, I did a 50% water change yesterday and added the second dose of General Cure. I will try the epsom as well.

She is okay but not great. I gently picked her up and her belly is definitely mushy. I don't know if she's been eggbound or if that is related to something else completely. Her scales are still lifted on that one side only. The rest of her scales are normal. She still can't swim too well and spends all of her time bottom sitting.

I'm really hoping she will recover. I have a 40 gallon I wanted to dedicate to her and Whitie, my other big telescope who's being iso'd, too. I thought they'd make great companions. :(

Just wanted to post an update on Pumpkin. She is hanging in there, still lethargic, but her scales haven't lifted any more. She is still bottom sitting but not clamping fins.

Last night I noticed that she has a large, liquid-filled bump on top of her head, and her eyes are popping out. I know that she has some organ damage because she's retaining fluid. I don't know what to do for that other than epsom salt.

I did a 50% water change and started her second round of General Cure. I think I'm going to try Tetracycline next, unless someone has a better idea. I want to make sure I wipe out all the parasites first and then attack the bacteria, in case that's what it is.

Here are some pics of the bump:

pumpkinsick1.jpg

pumpkinsick2.jpg

Can you get some MetroMeds? Did I ask that already? They are usually very good with any pineconing, pop eye, and the good thing is they actually contain oxytetracycline. Sometimes the medicated foods are better than the water treatments because they get the medicine directly inside the fish where it needs to be. Just a thought!

No, I haven't gotten any because she won't eat at all. I'm going to try mysis or something else later to try to entice her. But I wasn't going to spend money to buy all that stuff online if she wouldn't eat it. :(

Poor girl, I'm hoping that when she feels better she'll want to eat. You know, even when we're sick it's hard to get us to eat. :(

• 3 weeks later...