Really Red Streaks In Every Fin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have an update? Sorry I have missed some Stephie, and my eyes are blurry and I need a short update please? Artemis still floaty, upside down? Is a picture possible? Helps so much.

No worries Imo :heart

0 ammonia

0 nitrates (how???) it was 5 out of the tap?

7.4 ph

Fishies are upright, swimming, and eating. Red streaking in fins still. will check once I get home tonight and see how 24 hours 0 nitrates works.

I threw zeolite in the water, there is a filter and bubble wand in my lovely qt tank.

I just can't believe the difference! I mean I can and I am thrilled but how in the world is my water that sits in the pipes over in that room at 5 or less and everywhere else 40?

Seriously, I got home last night and immediately got the qt out of the garage, cleaned it out, dilled it up, took readings, grabbed Artemis...she was like...what are you doing to me mom! She was so still and I really didn't think she would make it! Cal was pretty out of it too...so I figured it couldn't hurt to give him a break from the nitrates too!

Lesson learned...nitrates at high levels can and will kill a fish. However, if you can get them down they will spring back to life! :)

Should I still be feeding mms.....it has been 21 plus days....about a week off prior I had fed 14 days.

I need an emotio-con smiley that wipes his brow and says woosh that was a close one! :)

Are the nitrates out of the tap still low? If they are then I would do a change, but if not even with trace ammonia hold off. Anything you can add to jump start the cycle in the rubbermaid? The nitrates are really doing a number on your babies.

This just keeps getting curioser and curiouser (excuse my spelling.. this is my time out from the constraints of English grammar). Nobody would ever put their fish through this nitrate business purposefully but it is a lesson to us all in how nitrates can affect fish . I always had this image of high nitrates being like high levels of cholestrol is for people. Thickening the blood and narrowing the arteries. In fish that would make them floaty :blink:

I had to do a water change! 20ish out of the tap. :(

They were doing so good in 0-8 nitrates. Poor Cal has already flipped. I had to do a water change in my other tank but 20 is better than 80.

The only thing for me to do is spend $300 on an RO filter. Ugh I just paid off my stupid credit card!

Thanks Amy for the chime in! I didn't do a water change yesterday, I just added amquel to bind the ammonia and lower nitrates a bit. Had to be done this morning though. I need another filter for these issues. :krazy

ok re-ran nitrate test...0

Cal is just a drama king I suppose.....

I think we are allright for now.....and I have no clue I will try and get a new one from the store today. I am just going to suck it up and get RO my little fishies so far don't have any symptoms from the high nitrates...but neither did Cal or Arti in the beginning.

Did you get rid of your migraine? Or should you be sleeping right now? :heart

I should be yes but I hate wasting time sleeping when I can be doing other things- am waiting for the laundry to finish - that's my excuse.

Migraine has slunk off to his dark lurking corner for the moment. Thanks :heart

So things seem good again here. Phew :D .

Steph your nitrate issues never cease to amaze me (and make me mad!)

I seriously don't know how you put up with all of this. Doing water changes on so many tanks is bad enough, but having to check the nitrates before hand just to find out sometimes that you can't even do a water change? I think it would push me over the edge. It's amazing that you are putting up with it, and your fish are too.

I might be crazy but I feel like there is something similar to an RO system that is solely a nitrate remover. I feel like it costs about the same too. Maybe that would be a consideration? Since it would remove the nitrates but not strip the water of EVERYTHING that's good? I'll see if I can find it!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=4567

Just thought maybe this way you could run this and have a storage bin of water so you always have nitrate free water available for water changes, but without the struggle (and cost) of having to buy buffers to up your KH and PH and having to add back in all the essentials. It does look like you have to buy some sort of refills so it may end up costing the same, but I dunno. Worth looking into?

I have totally thrown that idea around. It still needs to be seeded...then I don't know...another tank with the nitrate machine? The a pump to pump the water from one tank to another.

I am puppy sitting with my nervous dog. I think I am starting to prefer fish problems. :rofl

Yes I am frustrated....but I don't know what else to do.

http://www.glacierwater.com/

If any grocery stores around you have water vending machines, like the link above.

You can get r/o water for about $1.70 (+/-) per 5 gallons.

Best deals on new r/o units I have ever seen are on eBay.

150 GPD R/O-D/I unit I bought

270390715_o.jpg

Almost all "so-called' denitrator units sold, are not effective more than about 2%.

Denitration requires near anoxic water flow & additionally requires a carbon source as feed for denitifing bacteria in anoxic biofilter conditions.

In other words, it's a biofilter without exposure to open air & very little DO in water.

A functional denitrator most often requires several months of cycling also, to establish an effective bacteria population.

Guest LemonLily
You have lots of support and loving vibes here Steph :heart Your nitrates have been an infamous challenge and so hard to deal with I know.

It sounds like stress to me. Nitrates and being chased. Yes I will check the pics in a minute and post again ..being chased is exceptionally stressful- it is exhausting .. the bottom sitting here could just be recoop- she still has eggs in there if she is being chased, eggs can go on being sprayed out for a week or so several times, as much as 5 times even.

Can you separate her? Quiet time, yes, excellent advice.

EDIT: Checked photos. I think it's stress and you should add epsom only for now to encourage the release of the eggs- she looks bloated with more of them.

There are no growths, lumps and spots, just plain blood streaks- this is good.

It means they are not infected yet just an indication her condition is weak. That will be made worse by anything acidic like nitrates of course - there is no need to add meds yet which are also acidic btw.

Wow, my fish also has a red streak on the tail, thanks for telling me it's not infected! Of course, you are not talking to me, but it really helps to see others' posts. My fish has that cracked bloody fin, but i know it will heal in a few days with no medication at all.

Just my humble opinion...............Red veins in fins, etc:

1. Bacterial Infection............. try treating with MelaFix

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=11269

2. Parasite Infection................try a salt content up to 0.3%

3. Ammonia and/or Nitrite/Nitrate poisoning.............do consistant water changes, increase biofilter size/capacity & try using AmmoLock

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...cfm?pcatid=4019

I hope it gets better, :heart:exactly

Thanks for the suggestions! Here's an update.

1. Can't do consistant water changes because my tap is not consistant....nitrates range 10-80 out of the tap.

2. Metromeds for 30 days...still red streaks.

3. Salted for month.

:(

NO3 has been (in the hospital tank only) below 5 since I moved them. They are swimming upright but the red streaks and clamping are not going away. She decided she was going to protest and not eat last night...however I tempted her with a pea.

Granted I am sure she was stressed because my water change was not temp matched. The water out of my pipes on that side of the house is hot on cold...think Arizona. So I tried my best to cool it down with ice packs in a baggie but it got to the point where dirty yucky water in a small bowl or get them in the 20 gall.

Upside. I ordered a RODI system. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend and I can get some good water in these tanks!

My question is....why are the red streaks not fading? The nitrates have been below 10 for about a week now???

I just posted this on your other thread about ranting....... what I posted was about my sarassa comet (mostly white) and after every water change, her white tail would get streaks. I'm sure from the stress of being inconvenienced during the water changes. So, it's possible that the streaks are from stress from the high nitrates. If that's the case, meds or salt won't do any good. And, it will be difficult to say whether it's bacterial until you rule out other isses.

It all comes down to figuring out those nitrates. I know. You'd get better results banging your head against a wall, but we'll figure it out. Try using your bathroom water that reads at 0. Try letting your water sit out like I suggested. Get that RO going. Buy bottled water if you have to! Ugh... I know.

Hi Newbiefishgirl - how are things? Is that new system in sight already? :)

Everything should be in the mail today! Fins crossed!

The thing is all my tanks have at least one fish sick in them. I don't know what to do???

Looks like Harry has white poo.

Pepino has large red dot/small red patch in wen....is it possible to have a bubble eyed oranda? I used to think she was a cross between telescope and oranda....but now it looks more bubble eye...or is this popeye? (I know pics but I am at work)

Artemis and Cal still have red streaks...maybe worse....and they have been in no or low nitrate water for the past...what 2 weeks????

Tanks are all being broken down and scrubbed this weekend and I am going to get the RODI up and running if it kills me!

But what do I give them? Wait and see with clean water or antibotics? I can hp pepino's wen and see...eye thing is weird.

Any advice is surely appreciated!!!!!!! :doh11:

Some fish do develop bubbles. Its a funny rare genetic thing. It happened to Fumis oranda too over time. Still, new pics always help....

I am so sorry about all the probs. I just cant help thinking stay off meds till the RO is set up and put all your hopes on that wagon, low salt always helps random issues too.

Pretty much what I thought but I still WANT to medicate....do you ever think I will let go?

Ok will go will wait for a week or so and if no improvement with the changes...well then we can go there!

Thanks! :heart