Really Red Streaks In Every Fin

Ok so I found "why" they are at the top....there is algae they are eating off the walls. This is at least something.

I had been following your threads. Just not the recent update. Sorry.

They were doing better on MM's then at 14 days I stopped. Should I continue? Her fins are really streaked and she is very bloated.

I do think part of it is the dang-da-ble nitrates. But there has to be something else going on. The streaking, the upside down WAY too long.

I really think that Cal is blind. That is the only explanation, but he has just started to lay completely upside down (disoriented like) on the bottom of the tank. When he hears me he starts swimming around just fine. Artemis on the other hand is really struggling.

I need a fish doctor!!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize you had already tried MetroMeds.. Normally you want to do them for at least 30 days. How long has it been since they've been off them? Because if it's been a while, then it's almost like running the same med twice, and not just a continuation, and NORMALLY thats not something you want to do because it can cause resistence and other issues.

So if they've been off it only a few days, then yeah I would restart, but if it's been a while I would... you know what I am gonna say.. wait for Imo LOL

I'm pretty sure she will be back tomorrow... I know it was early this week.. I think it be best to wait for her, but I really think she would say not to do the same med again since technically you had a full course (minimum 14 days, up to 30) and since it's been a month.. Thats just my guess though.

Ok there is something seriously wrong in this tank! two flipped, one bottom sitting all three of these guys have red streaks in fins. Another fish has long thin white poo. Gel food only in this tank. If not flipping nose down.

Did water change yesterday 20 no3 tap, 40 no3 tank, again 40 no3 tank in one day. :blink:

I put a few river rocks in, but boiled them and rinsed really well.

And now there are several goldfish teeth on the bottom of the tank. Like 6 since yesterday morning. I am at a loss.

Need to wait until early morning before another water change so the nitrates can drop. :(

Yes goldfish have teeth. There is an awesome pic of Kabuki (rip) with his gorgeous little face a teeth somewhere on here. I just wondered if it were a symptom of something or a coincidence of new rocks and loss of teeth. :heart

Well Sue you are on to something. Against all rational I started MMS guess what, red streaks receding and no more upside down Artemis. Cal in the meantime is still blind but swimming like a crazy man! :)

Sooooooo....you need to write a research paper and get a medal for finding or suggesting something new!

Yeah well, if it's working that's awesome.. I was nervous though, because I know that we need to be careful when using meds. But see, what bothered me is that my fish didn't have swim bladder issues that gradually got worse. They just went belly up like overnight. And with one fish, fine. But when you are seeing a few fish doing it, and a million diet changes doesn't help, then it's like "wait a second here, something else is going on". I don't think Imo would have wanted me to try MetroMeds on them like that.... But it just felt like something more and I thought it was worth a shot..And I didn't want to lose em.. Something just felt really wrong... I don't know why it helps, or whether it's the metro or the oxytetracycline in the MM's. Is it because this is somehow linked to dropsy? You know, bloating etc. All I know is, it seems to be helping my fish, and you say it is now helping yours... Hmmmm....

And oh yeah I know they have teeth, I just was surprised you said you SEE them in the TANK. More like "huh?!"

When all of a sudden you see 6-8 teeth on the bottom of your tank when NONE were there before...it freaked me out. Is this a sign of something?

I know restraint on meds...but when the whole tank starts going beserk?????????? :wacko: No more bottoms up...weird! Thanks Sue! :heart

• 2 weeks later...

Not great....hanging in there. Temp warmed up a bit and saw reobsorbed eggs...thinking from Artemis because it was a lot of poooo...way to much for the little gals in the tank. Hoping this helps. I have been away all weekend...actually stopped by my folks house to get the dog and had to peak. :)

Hoping all is well. Thanks for asking. Still having too much issues with nitrates and can't afford an RO/DI system right now. Haven't checked my lotto tickets yet...heres hoping.

Thanks, will post when i get home! :heart

No time to get readings....as I should be in bed! Sadly Artemis is upside down at the top of the tank! :(

Will get up in a couple hours and do readings. Ugh I just wish this stupid water company would help me out!

She is completely upside down now...no intermittent bouts...streaking is really red with the bends like Einstein had...like breaking of spine from being upside down.

What do I do? Buy RO water at $7 gall for a 20 gall tank with no filter?

mms didn't work

nitrates are 40 and 40 out of tap :(

So guess what?

I get home and she is perfectly upright! What????????????????

She still has clamped fin with very red streaks!!!

But upright and eating...difference I started back on gel food this am.

I am so confused! Do I just have a drama Queen fish? UGH!

Ugh Steph. I can't help you but I am sorry you are still dealing with this. I think at this point me I'm just here for support and understanding. There's nothing you haven't done that I would have done, and I can't think of anything else to do!! I am sooo frustrated for you, and I totally know what you are going through... :hug

with corkscrewlike swimming...lurking on Koko's leads me to believe that there is probably some sort of infection. I know part of this is probably nitrates....but I know when Einstein started doing this all the streaking went away with Triple Sulfa.

Reading up on different meds on the med page...Marycyn 2 bacteria..but somehow I am reading in here that it isn't well absorbed by the fish?

Triple Sulfa is absorbed....

I have high gh so not supposed to use tetracyclines

I guess I should just find a fish vet...oh wait had I been able to find one before i would have gotten Einstein fixed.

I am just so worried. I am afraid to go home after work for what I will find.

mms did not work...but at the same time maybe she wasnt getting enough. She is a really big fish. She is pretty darn heavy too!

Ideas?

OMG! I got home and she is laying on her side at the bottom of the tank barely moving!!!!

The bathroom water had nitrates at 5...it never gets turned on....so i filled up an 18 gall rubbermaid and put her in there with a bubble wand and filter.

Should I try and wait to see/confirm nitrates are the issue or medicate.

Red streaks, corkscrew swimming, to bottom lying on her side???

You've already tried the Triple Sulfa before though right? We are in the same boat with medications given our high PH's, we are kinda of limited in our choices. Tetracyclines are always out of the question due to high PH and the fact that like you said the Maracyns are not well absorbed by the fish and (that includes Maracyn2 which if I get this correct is a synthetic tetracycline and also ineffective at a high PH). Kanamycin is a no no with all of our floaty and upside down fish. For the most part that leaves the Furans and Erythromycin (which is what is in Maracyn, not M2) EM is only responsible for a small number of infections and it is a pain because it will totally wipe out your cycke. The furans are an option but Trinket always says they are a trickier med because (again if I get this right) they remain in the fish long after and must be dosed very precisely. Often because of this when they are used it is easier to try Jungle AntiBac Medicated food because with the nitrofurazone in the food I think it still targets the illness but is not as much as a risk as in the water (I think). That could be your best next try if you have tried everything else. Or like you said try MM's again and try to get more in the fish.

This is soooooo frustrating... I do think the nitrates are at least partially to blame esp in your case given that they come out SOOOO ridiculously high sometimes. I battle them, but not like you. Mine have never been higher than 10 from tap, and usually they seem closer to 5.

I feel your pain and am here as always.