Oscar On Bottom

jody

My Black Moor is lying on the bottom since I have returned home 1 hour ago. She will swim around for a few seconds every now and then but returns back to the bottom by the air wand.

oscar-1.jpg

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

PH 7.8

Temp 70F

27 Gallon running 6 months (fully cycled)

Two filters: Penguin 200 and Tetra 30

Change 80-90% Weekly Nitrates never exceed 15-20

3 Fish: baby Black Moor (Peepers) 2", teenage Telescope (Google) 3", adult Black Moor (Oscar) 4"

Prime only

Feed twice a day (Peas, homemade gel food, blood worms, pro-gold, spriluna pellets, sinking pellets (various brands)) Usually gel food or peas in morning and pellets in evening

No new fish

No medications

No unusual findings

Bottom sitting on side near bubbler

I have been through this before with Oscar. I recently(two weeks ago) ran out of frozen fish so I am back to pellets for evening feeding. I dont think she can handle the processed food. I have no LFS with frozen food (blood worms, brine shrimp). I sometimes go to the city (2 hour drive) to get some.

So fasting? Peas? Help? :(

Try peas. Peas only for a couple days. :) Def post if anything else changes...!!!

But if this happened before when you were feeding pellets.....chances are the processed foods are too good for Oscar! ;)

Thanks for the speedy reply! Okay sounds good, I'll def keep ya'll posted.

Yeah I am stummped for food? Just gel food I guess. I have no real kitchen at the moment to make it though, I am living with a microwave and no appliances :(

Hi. I would also try green peas! You can get the smallest frozen pack you can find and use your microwave to defrost and softly boil them, shell them and feed for about 3 days. You don't have to make gelfood until you have a kitchen and it is possible, there are alternatives. Do you have any rice? One day a week you could feed softly boiled grains of rice. Another day you could try something else you are eating...be inventive. Fish can eat so much and if the processed food is not good for Oscar you are going to have to look at other options.

My Mamma moor can only take about 4 days in a row of processed food then she starts to tipple. I still feed it to her as I do think the vitamins and balance in a quality food is second to none,(even some people's gelfood). BUT I try never to let more than 3 or 4 consecutive days go past without offering fresh foods.

Hi thanks for replying. I will have to get inventive as you have said. Peas are easy and good for her. I am at the moment relying on multi-vitamins myself for the essentials so I dont eat all that much fruits and veggies. Maybe bananas, I do eat those. But rice yes what a marvel idea! Does the 5 minute rice count? I think it would take a billion minutes to cook regular rice in the microwave.

I feel the same way about the pellets. I feel they need the nutrients, thats why I like to feed from time to time, just lately I think pellets every day is bad. I thought by feeding peas in the morning and pellets at night was best. Let the nutrients from the pellets absorb into the bloodstream all night and then flush it out of the intestines with a feeding of peas in the morning.

I think I saw some bubble poop today so I will keep an eye out for that. She seems to be spending about 50% of her time on the bottom which is way better than earlier today.

Again thanks and I will be back that's a promise :))

Oscar is doing much better today. I awoke to her swimming mid tank where she usually hangs out. I fed peas and she has been fine today so far :)

Thanks for the speedy reply! Okay sounds good, I'll def keep ya'll posted.

Yeah I am stummped for food? Just gel food I guess. I have no real kitchen at the moment to make it though, I am living with a microwave and no appliances :(

That's all I have as well. One reason I use organic baby foods instead to make my gel foods. Already cooked.

Just about any of the veggie ones. Peas,green beans,squash,sweet potatoes and if I can find it one called garden medley. Also ust some of the fruits as well. Usually fruit medley as it has a variety in. Then I just add any other stuff I'm putting in to the baby food mix such as frozen brine shrimp,etc. when I have it. Mine love it and seem to do well on it.

Hi :)

Yes Oscar is back to her old self.

I have narrowed it down to the Pro-Gold. She just doesnt do well with it.

I bought a large amount one time and stored it in the fridge in sealed conatiners. I already came to the conclusion that she doesnt do well with it before, I just forgot.

I was in the spare fridge and saw the containers and was all like hey yeah I have Pro-Gold, I'll feed that again. It is about 1 year old but was stored in sealed airtight conatiners in the fridge.

I just hate to see it go to waste. Maybe I'll bring it to my LFS, they might want it. I bought the 2lb one and I still have over half.

Thanks for checking in :)