[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.9

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? tetra tests drops

[*]Water temperature? 21 celsius

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons running for 2 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? tetra EXPOWER cannister filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish about 4~5 cm

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? sakihikari 2 times a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? eyes bulging

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not eating and is a bit lethargic

A couple of days ago,I noticed that my orandas eyes are bulging :( Not sure if it's popeye...

She's not eating and she seems to be lethargic.

The tank is currently salted 0.3%.

I'm worried as I've lost a precious fish of mine a long time ago showing the same signs....

help please :( Any help greatly appreciated :heart

Oh no, not your new baby! Looking from the siggy pic to the new pic you just posted I can see the ring and a slight swelling yes. It's only one eye right?

That's always less serious.

How long has she not been eating? Are you fully cycled now and how long have you been salting and what for?

Just trying to get more of an overall picture...

Hi Imo!

thanks for the fast reply :) I really appreciate it.

tank is fully cycled!YAY! :D

I started to add salt a couple of days ago when I noticed the swelling on her eyes.

I think both of her eyes are affected but the left eye looks a bit more swollen...

She has not eaten for about 3 days now :( Twinkie still chase and nip during feeding time but she has always fought him for food.

But since she started showing signs of popeye,it seems like she lost total interest in eating.

I'm really worried :(

Well first of all don't worry. Let's try and get to the bottom of this. Do you think Twinkie is too rambo and princess is letting her/him 'win'?

That could make a problem worse, but not be the cause of the pop eye of course.

Usually, as you prob. know pop eye is caused by a build up of fluids in that area behind the eye that is totally cut off and so is very difficult to treat well.

Some people swear by regular salt for healing and others, epsom salt. If you are having no luck with the regular salt treatment, you might want to change over to the epsom.

If the fluid gets infected then you have a bacterial infection, so its important that water is really pristene and cycle robust. Congrats on the cycle btw!

I am wondering if a tank divider here might give princess some peace and encourage her to eat. Food is essential right now.

No flicking or yawning or gasping?

Twinkie is definitely RAMBO!

I noticed his breeding stars and have wondered if it was breeding behaviour but he only chases during feeding time.

A tank divider is a great idea!I will definitely get one to give princess some peace.

At the time,Princess is not showing any signs of flashing,yawning or gasping...just lethargic.

She's not bottom sitting but stays still at the middle part of the tank.

Stupid question,what is epsom salt and are we able to get some here in Japan? :unsure:

I am wondering if what has happened here is trauma. That somehow Twinkie has bumped or injured princess and even the tiniest wound or puncture can allow fluids to get unbalanced and swelling..this could make twinkie sick. Goldie eyes are so delicate.

Epsom salt is 舎利塩 しゃりえん

It is possible that twinkie could have done this!He has grown a lot compared to when I first got them.

I just hope this does not get serious and end up losing Princess.

Will try to find epsom salt ASAP!

Thank you so much IMO :hug Will keep you posted on any change :)

Just a quick update.

I think Princess' eyes look better compared to yesterday.

The ring around her eyes are less whitish?...

She ate a few pellets but left a lot at the bottom.She does try but tends to spit after(not a good sign?)

Is she chewing allright, not having problems with a mouth ulcer/blockage or anything like that?

Also forgot to say yesterday, you can dose the epsom at 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons for swelling.

Good morning IMO!How was your "GOLDEN WEEK"?

It had been raining for a couple of days here so it was no fun for us :(

Back to topic!

I did think about a mouth ulcer as she kinda chew very sloooowly.

I looked at her mouth but there was nothing that looked like an ulcer...

I ordered epsom salt online yesterday and should be here in a couple of days.

Can I use epsom salt with regular salt in my tank?Or would it be better to take the regular salt out?

good morning ..golden week was okay thanks, nice not to work but cash strapped so couldnt do much.. :)

Its really best to use epsom separately. Wait till it comes and then do a large w/c. I should.

I wish we had goruden wiiku too, where we get one week off for no reason at all! :D

I can deal with 3 days off...but a week(10 days to some people :thud ).....makes me go crazy :wacko:

quick update....

princess' eye still look the same so I guess it's not getting worst.

She does try to eat but after a while of chewing,she spits out her food.

Don't really know why but it doesn't look good :(

I'm so sorry to hear she is not much bettter.... I wonder if she has flukes? The spitting of food and lethargy..I would offer to send you prazi but I dont have any left at the moment. You have to get it from a vet here and mix it yourself. Alternatively you can use mebandizole...even a one day bath might be enough to kill off the majority and get her appetite back. It is possible for flukes to also get in the eyes occasionally and cause swelling. Unfortunately salt will not kill the ones attached :(

sorry I haven't had time to update :(

princess is doing a lot better!She's gotten her appetite back

and her eye is almost back to normal.

Will try to post a pic soon :)