Oranda Is Upside Down On Bottom Of Tank

chico

I'm hand feeding him. No flip-over activity. I manually put him in the upright position, but he flips right back over.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's on his 10th day of being in 1/4 teaspoon per 10g of epsom salt. The past couple days I've noticed he's floating upside down almost exclusively at the top again. He's eating the anti-bac pellets (on day 9 via hand feed) and pooping fine.

How long is it safe to keep him in the epsom? I realize it may be too soon to start this conversation, but when do I start thinking of another treatment? It seems as if he's pretty much resorted to this lifestyle....

Typically the epsom should be no longer than about 8 days, so you will probably need to remove that soon.

As for antibac pellets, those can go a little longer than whats on the containter. I believe it says 10 days but it's fine to do those for 14 days, or even longer.

It's tricky choosing another treatment, because you don't want to push him over the edge. And it's always a risk starting one medication right after the other. If you decide to treat with something else, I would really like to get one of the mods to help with that decision. I suppose you could try another medicated food, with different ingredients. Like MetroMeds, or Jungle AntiParasite food in case this is more related to parasites than bacterial, BUT like I said, when you have a fish barely hanging in there, doing too many meds can push them over the edge.

Keep feeding the antibac food for now for at least 4 more days and if there is no change we can PM one of the mods for more advice.

I did about a 90% water change, so the epsom salt is nearly gone. Still feeding the anti-bac pellets. He's still just floating nearly at the top of the tank. I put some pellets in the tank to see if he would try to get them on his own, but he wouldn't. I still hand feed him.

There are no external flaws. He's just upside down!!!

I'm not sure what to do now...

Hang in there Laura! Sometimes fish can just turn upside down. :( However, we have some other options we can try. How many days has the antibac food now?

Your nitrates still low? Any streaking in his fins? Or just upside down? how is his wen?

Yes, nitrates are low. This is a 10g qt tank (with established media) in which the water is changed out massively every other day. Wen is healing wonderfully. No red streaks evident. As I mentioned earlier, there are no external flaws evident.

We are at day 12 on feeding the anti-bac pellets.

He is simply upside down.

I know... :) I heard you...just wanted to double check! ;)

Water levels are obviously good! Very happy to hear about the wen!!!!!!

I think we should at least keep up the antibac for the full 14 days. Then I am thinking of a 3 day fast with 4 days of nothing but peas...to see if we can get him to flip back over!

I know I should go back to the start of the thread...I am peeking in here at work though...can I get a little slack ;) What happened right before he flipped? I think the nitrates were high.....anything that you can think of would be helpful. Did he start by corkscrewing movements or just one day...flipped?

I think we should at least keep up the antibac for the full 14 days. Then I am thinking of a 3 day fast with 4 days of nothing but peas...to see if we can get him to flip back over!

I agree - I think that sounds like a good plan! :)

These flipover fish are so frustrating. I hope you see some improvement hun. Hang in there.

• Admin

Im wondering if your fish has a cyst inside, I have seen fish that bloat like this and get to the point were there is so much liquid inside that they need it drained. Of course Im just thinking here and reading on some articles about this.

How does this fish do in warmer waters? What is the color of the gills?

Im wondering if your fish has a cyst inside, I have seen fish that bloat like this and get to the point were there is so much liquid inside that they need it drained. Of course Im just thinking here and reading on some articles about this.

Koko do you think this could be true for a dropsy fish as well? My little guy seems soo happy but he's dropsied like you wouldn't believe. I've read that you can sometimes get a vet to drain some of the liquid and given he is behaving so well, part of me wonders if that is something to look into.

• Admin

I think in this cause its a sack inside that is filling up with liquid, kinda like Dropsy but no bacterial material in it... I could be wrong but Im thinking since the meds aren't working it could be. I would say if you can get this fish to a vet I would :)

I know... :) I heard you...just wanted to double check! ;)My apologies. It is not my intentions to sound rude.

Water levels are obviously good! Very happy to hear about the wen!!!!!! Me, too.

I know I should go back to the start of the thread...I am peeking in here at work though...can I get a little slack ;) What happened right before he flipped? I think the nitrates were high.....anything that you can think of would be helpful. Did he start by corkscrewing movements or just one day...flipped?

Slack is permitted. ;) The nitrates were at 40 and were pretty much at that level for a bit. The day this started, I noticed him swimming around in circles...not side to side circles but rather nosing up in the air then flipping entirely backwards so nose is pointed to ground then to normal position. He did also, as you mention, perform a few corkscrew moves. Then shortly thereafter he was upside down. What do you think of this - anything in particular?

In regards to a vet, I'm in the Chicagoland area - can we get Daryl to pop in and maybe she knows of someone? I thought she lived up north of Chicago....

There was another thread on here (somewhere) that Trinket was talking about this behavior. How is the slime coat? I wish I could find a fish vet!! ;)

Nitrates are below 40 now though, right?

My dog is wanting to go for a walk! I have changed fish water and fed them and not paid any attention...I will see if I can find that other thread. :blink:

The nitrates on the qt tank are nil to below 5. On the established tank they are b/n 5-10. The slime coat is normal; nothing excess. Gills are nice and pink.

Thanks for all the help. I'll look for similar posts as well....

After two days of fasting, I have started feeding peas. He is still in the same state: floating upside down.

Besides going to the vet, I have no idea what to do. The closest fish vet I found was 50 miles away. I'm sorry....I'm just so frustrated at the moment.

I'm sooo sorry things aren't improving for you... I feel your frustration!

I suppose if everything has been tried the best thing you can do is continue with keeping the water extra clean and go back to a well balanced varied diet. Some fish do end up flipping for good, and this is just a way of life for them unfortunately. I know it's also possible for them to flip back over after a good long period of very good water (especially low nitrates).

I'll try to give this thread another good read from the beginning just to see if there is ANYTHING that might have gone missing.

Update: after a few days of hand feeding peas exclusively, there is no change. He's floating around upside down. Once in a great while he swims around upside down, moving toward the bottom of the tank. But for the most part I find him floating in the upper corner of the tank.

All params are pristine; no other external flaws. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to take him to a vet so I guess we'll have to be this way.... :(

Well.....I have taken care of upside down fish for months. As long as they are happy they are fine. They need a little extra care but the bonding is huge! :heart

They become very very special to you!

They can live forever. Once you save some $$ up then you can see if you can fix him/her. Just (please) don't give up on her/him yet.

Give me time to collect my thoughts to give you good advice....I had upside down nitrate fish forever. Let me think and give you good advice tomorrow...they are still sooooooooooooo special.

Please - I think you have the wrong impression. I am not giving up. I just cannot afford to take him to a vet. Regardless of what the causes of his sickness may be, yes I am still taking great care of him. He just looks so darn depressed hanging up in the corner all day long with no interaction. That's where the sadness is coming from.

I know exactly how you feel.. One of my guys flipped about 2 weeks ago. And I've tried meds, and I've tried fasting and I've tried peas and he just doesn't wanna get better. He's upside down in the corner of the tank on the bottom just laying on his head, and I look in and he looks so sad, and that makes ME sad. It's so hard to look in at them and see that. Everytime I hope "maybe I will find him swimming" but I don't. I don't have vet money either, so I'm in the same boat completely.

I know you've tried the epsom, peas, salt, reducing nitrates, and jungle food. At this point I suppose you COULD try MetroMeds, if he is still eating. You can get those at Goldfish Connection. It might be worth a shot, but no gaurantee. I'm considering the opposite. I've already DONE MM's for my fish, and now I am considering switching to the Jungle.

SO sorry things aren't getting better for you. Hang in there. I'm always here if you just want to vent!

Thanks, Sue. I appreciate your kind words. It IS so sad to see him just sitting there, hopelessly, when at one time he was the king of the tank. His tankmate, Robby, passed away a couple years ago. That was a messy situation, and Johnny was not affected. Now to see him alone is just heartbreaking.

Argh.

Yes, I will try the MMs. I'll order that this weekend.

Thanks, again, for all the advice.

Question, please:

What is the reason for trying Metro-Meds vs, say, Medi-Gold? Just trying to be fully educated on this, here.

tks

One main thing is that MediGold contains Kanamycin, which can be harsh on the kidneys and should be avoided if possible on a fish that is upside down, or floaty. And since your fish has been doing that, I would try MetroMeds and not Medi-Gold.

I really hope it works!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no improvement. I am at a loss as to what to do next, besides bringing him to a fish vet somewhere....it hurts me to watch him. He just floats upside down at all times. Once in a while he gets a red sore on his belly from being exposed to the air. He's eating, albeit by hand. Pooping normally. Just upside down.