Question About Tanks And Dealing With...

bombing your home for fleas. I know I have seen it here before. I am thinking about doing this as the little boogers are starting to take over and I hate them. I got the dog and cat with the flea drops, but those take a bit to work. I hate seeing the hopping boogers on my socks when I walk in house.

Honestly I want to rip up the carpet in the house and lay hardwood...but financially can't.

What precautions should I take if I decide to do this? I am very concerned about my goldie Larry and his tank. He is in my bedroom, and the snots are the worse in there. I am at a loss here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, who suggested the straight razor to take off the nasty stuck on green algea - it worked wonderful. I can see Larry now and enjoy him, and he can see me better. That stuff is hard to get rid of once it gets a hold of a tank wall.

TIA

You should be more concerned about yourself. I deal with people all day long that have been poisoned by pesticides. In most cases they bomb their house for fleas or had their homes sprayed by a professional. If you like the idea of getting cancer or an auto-immune diseases then bomb away. Knowing what I know I would chose to live with the fleas before I ever bombed or sprayed my home. Just a warning. Go the all natural way or don?t go at all.

...well, everyone has the right to their own opinions and I'm not one to say "your wrong" and "I'm right".

humans already have different toxins, at different levels in their bloodstream be it from work, living in a polluted area, or whatever. I mean, all of us have DDT in our bodies and that stuff has been banned for years! I'm not trying to argue for the use of chemicals either. there are a few, more, eco friendly ways to rid your home of fleas, but if you are infested with them, I suppose the only alternative you would have is to get a professional to come out and get rid of them.

Since the cat and dog cannot be in the house when it is being treated I would think you would need to move Larry into a large bucket, or rubbermaid container with his filter and airstone. it is VERY important that if you move Larry, you need to move his filter, b/c the filter is holding all of your BB's. then take Larry to a friend's house or where ever the cat and dog are going.

I would think you would have to do a complete water change on the tank when you get back home...maybe even stripping it down? or better yet empty the whole thing and then put it outside. you don't want those chemicals to leave residue on the tank, or in the tank.

these are just a few ideas I have for you. good luck! :)

Yes I agree we all have chemicals in our body enough to make and keep us sick. So why add more? The more you add the worse off you get. I have been studying chemicals and the effects they have on the body for 9 years now. I have wrote several articals and one book that was denied publishing rights do to its contents. I help people all day long who have been chemically injured and I have spoken to at least 20 doctors over the last 9 years on this matter. I could not just sit by and say nothing when I know so much. If she bombs her home after I told her what I know, then so be it. However if I say nothing and let her do it without a warning then I would feel bad if she like so many became ill. And by the way you could not even debate me on pesticides. I know way to much enough to scare you and make you cry. Infact you do not want to know what I know trust me when I say that.

And by the way you could not even debate me on pesticides. I know way to much enough to scare you and make you cry. Infact you do not want to know what I know trust me when I say that.

I think you are over reacting to my post. I did not intend to imply anything, so if you were offended it is how you interpreted my post and not what I posted. I did not say anything that would warrant a reaction as rude as this.

infact, I don't even think you read my post...you probably just skimmed it. with all of the foreign chemicals in our body, we have no idea what they are doing to us. they are mixing with each other, and forming new, and dangerous compounds. I just heard an article about this on NPR the other day. and I never said that I am an expert. the way these chemicals interact, and change our body is a silent epidemic in my opinion.

I love this forum and we try to treat everyone with respect, even if we disagree. try to keep that in mind the next time you feel someone is questioning or disagreeing with you.

Forum Rules

I was not trying to be rude at all. I was just saying, what I know about pesticides is so horrible that anyone would be scared by the knowledge that I have. I did read your post. If I misunderstood you then I am sorry. But you also took what I was trying to say as being mean and I was just stating a fact. I care deeply so I wrote it with lots of feeling. I was in no way trying to be mean. What I know would scare you and make you cry. I do not debate people at all on pesticides. I simple tell it like it is. I care to much about people to play games when it comes to what I know best and that is pesticides.

Ok, everybody calm down. It is usually not a good thing for ANYONE on EITHER side of the belief system to state that they have the "One and only answer" to a problem. Let us just accept that you, D, know a fair amount about pesticides and that Martha is merely stating the problem from multiple sides.

There are "drops" for the cat and dog and then there are "DROPS". I deal with plenty of animals that are heavily infested. We cannot have any that carry fleas into the shelter - it would be messy. In the not too distant past, fleas were actually occasionally a death sentence to an animal. With fleas, they could not be fostered or boards - and without a place to go, there was no other option but to destroy the animal. These days, there are several chemicals that are head and shoulders above the old-fashioned pesticides that have, in my opinon, become a thing of the past.

The Frontline is a combination of two pesticides....yup, pesticides. They do, however, function very well to kill any and ALL fleas that jump onto the animals OR any that are even NEAR the animals. The fleas, once hatched, cannot live without a blood meal. They NEED to jump on the cat, dog, and people. Once they jump on the animal - they die. The eggs that are in the bedding cannot hatch and the larvae cannot mature. That will work - within your house in a fairly short period of time, too. If you treat the animals every month, the fleas will not stand a chance. Within 4 weeks, you should not have ANY in the house.

Personally, bombing the house is a WHOLE LOTTA WORK more that simply letting a good brand of "drops" work. IF you do decide to bomb, you will DEFINATELY need to move the fish out. Shut off the filters as well as all air features. Seal the tank with plastic - SEALED airtight. Or remove the tank altogether. After bombing you need to wash all bedding, wash all dishes, glasses, clothing, walls, counters, books, lamps, ceilings, etc. The whole house will be covered in poison.....and will need to be CLEANED.

You could, instead, put some flea powder into your vacumn bag, vacumn really really well, then dispose of the bag OUTSIDE the house. Then let the drops do their work - and they will work fairly quickly if they are a good brand. Your choice.

You are So Right I brought my work to this blog. When that is not why I come here at all. I have my fish and I blog here to escape the awful issues about Chemicals that I deal with daily. I saw this blog and I thought OH NO I guess I should warn her. Then it took a life of its on and I offended good people here. I get way too worked up and I go off and say way too much. I should have walked away. I do not need to preach about chemicals here. I was wrong.

No. You were definately NOT wrong. You are stating things that you see - and that affect your life. You are extremely passionate about that topic. I understand - we all do. That is not necessarily a bad thing - or a wrong thing.

The only suggestion I had/have is to make sure that you try to take a step back - and present evidence (if you wish), but let the people make the decisions for themselves. We all want to be in charge of our own destinys.............

It is a good thing that you pointed it out. Poisons are everywhere in our environment, but there is no reason we should have to add more without good thought and research. This is what I think BearHall was doing - questioning the bomb. That is a GREAT thing. ")