How Do You Move A Goldfish Cross Country? We're Driving!

buffdoll

:gcar: I'm moving cross country from Houston, TX to Las Vegas, NV. How do I pack my sweet lionhead goldfish?? Would it be best for me to find her a new home even though I didn't want to give her away or is there a way I can pack her for the 2 day drive without hurting her? I don't want to stress her out.

Hi Ms. Melissa! I found this link to moving with goldfish.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=51140

And here I was waiting to see pictures of your pond! Looks like you could still have one in Las Vegas. A member recently posted pictures of a great pond he built there.

Hi Ms. Melissa! I found this link to moving with goldfish.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=51140

And here I was waiting to see pictures of your pond! Looks like you could still have one in Las Vegas. A member recently posted pictures of a great pond he built there.

Thank you for the link! I never built the pond because as it turns out we are moving! Can I have a pond in Vegas or does it get way to hot? I wouldn't want the fist to boil in the sun... ya know. I REALLY wanted the pond too. :krazy:

That link is very good. Andrea really knows her stuff - and she has made some pretty dramatic moves over the years. Since a 2 day drive kinda falls in between a major cross-country move and an "across town" move, I would like to add a few hints.....

For a two day drive bags will certainly work. They REQUIRE oxygen - and a bit of fasting for the fish. Additions of PRime, Amquel or some such ammonia detoxifier is also recommended. There will be no nitrite or nitrate. Give them 100% clean fresh water in the bags.

If you are moving your tank, break it ALL down. Drop the media from the filter into a bag of used fish water - and add a drop or two of clear ammonia. This will keep your beneficial bacteria alive. If youcannot get ammonia, just add a bit of muck from the tank - or do not bang the filter floss part perfectly clean. Bag this up with the used water and oxygen and tie it up tight. IT will be fine.

Take EVERYTHING out of your tank. Take out the gravel, the deco, etc. EVERYTHING. A tank is not safe to move with any weight in it. IT can twist -and the slight sheer of a twist can cause a leak somewhere in the future. Do not risk it. IF your tank is too big for you to carry easily, slide it onto a piece of board and have a helper as you place it in your car. Once the tank is solidly set in the car, you CAN put things in it for travel. Deco, clothes, etc. can all stuff the tank space. Make sure the tank is level and supported and it will be fine. REMOVE all the things from the tank before you move it again.

AS soon as you get to your new home, fill the tank and set the filter going with the used media in it. Do not worry about using ANY of the old water. It can be tossed. As soon as you open the bag of fish, you need to move them out of the water into the tank. The pH will drop precipitously as soon as you let in new oxygen. Dump the bag water.

Gravel - if you feel you wish to keep the beneficial bacteria that is in it - can be strenuously rinsed in the last of the used water from the tank. Take all the gravel out of the tank and place it in a plastic container. Keep it wet - add a bit of used (cleaner) water and it will be fine for the trip.

If you cannot get oxygen, you can transport the fish in a large tupperware tub. I usually cut small holes in the lid and put in the fish - a small amount of water. I drop in the media bags, too. Fast the fish ahead of time. For 2 days, all will be fine. You can even hook up the filters and set them running right on the tub when you arrive - and put off setting up the tank if you wish.

Good luck. Fish travel all the time - from all around the world. Your's should be just fine. Enjoy your new home!!!! :)

Great advice, as usual! Good luck with your move. And how fun, Vegas! You will just love it there.

As far as having a pond, it is possible but you just have to take some precautions. The weather there is similar to how it is here, and it gets just as hot. An above-ground pond is out. Not only does it get well over 100 degrees in the summer, but it has very very cold winters. (Deserts have crazy and extreme weather!) So you'll definitely want to do a large in-ground pond. Make sure it's in a part of the yard that is shaded. There aren't many trees out there so maybe see if you can use the house to shade it, or plant some big trees. Have a waterfall that provides lots of water movement and circulation.

We've had a 2,000 gallon pond here for many years and most of the fish have done well. The issues that it's had have been unrelated to heat but rather poor care. Anyway, good luck and let us know when you get nice and settled in! :)