Chubby Is Dying Please Help Me (sorry A Little Graphic)

HappyPercy

I agree with Tinkokeshi, it really looks like columnaris. :(

Here is the list of medications which are best for columnaris while you are waiting for Trinket: Tetraciclin, Oxitetraciclin, Furanace, Furanol, Baktopur direct, Furan-2, Triple-sulfa, AquaFuran...

I'm sorry to say that Chubby did not make it. I followed everyone's advice. I lost him yesterday around 7 PM. I'm just heartbroken. I will make a post for him soon.

very sorry to hear that :( From the looks of him in the pictures I really don't think there was much you could have done.

:sorry::

:rip: chubby

Edited by The Fish Whisperer

I am so sorry. I know it is not much of a comfort - but he did not suffer for long. It makes all the difference in the world - to have someone who acutally CARES. He did not struggle as an unknown, unloved fish in some community tank - he was YOUR fish - and you cared. He had a good life, no matter how short.

:hug

I'm sorry about your fish! The same thing happened in my tank while I was gone and I lost my baby too. Thank you for starting this thread because now I know what happened to my baby.

Thank you all for your support, I really appreciate it. It helps to know that there are people out there who consider their goldfish to truly be their pets, no different than a dog or a cat, they're still just as important and loved.

I'm sorry to say that Chubby did not make it. I followed everyone's advice. I lost him yesterday around 7 PM. I'm just heartbroken. I will make a post for him soon.

:( I'm so sorry to hear that Chubby passed away.

It is good that he was and still is loved by a caring fish keeper though.

How are your other fish faring?

Tink, would columnaris ravage a fish this quickly...???

Ph crash with low kh gh....wouldn't that be similiar?

Percy how are you doing?

Stephie, to answer your questions, here are short snippets of text from my Fish Disease book.

knowing some more details regarding the tank setup, temp, size, etc. would be helpful too, but based on what was provided, the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH.

"Columnaris Infection (Myxobacterial Disease, Peduncle Disease, Saddleback, Fin Rot, Cotton Wool Disease, Black Patch Necrosis)"

"Physical Examination - Ulcers (usually shallow), reddening, erosion, and necrosis of skin; gill necrosis; yellow mucoid material on skin or gills."

"F. columnaris is less pathogenic in soft water."

"Uneaten feed supports growth of F. columnaris."

"Columnaris is primarily an epithelial disease. It cases erosive/necrotic skin and gill lesions that may become systemic. It often presents as whitish plaques that may have a red periphery on the head back (saddleback lesion), and/or fins (fin rot), especially the caudal fin. Fragments of the fin rays may remain after the epithelium has sloughed, leaving a ragged appearance. Lesions rapidly (often within 24 hours) progress to ulcers."

Noga, Edward J.. (2000). Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press.