Sign in to follow this  
Trico

Fish Lost

Well A few days ago my grandma came from the Philippines. She is used to very hot temperatures and she is using my room, as she does every year for 6 months. I have a problem... All my tanks are in my room, and she has the heater on constantly. Before she came the temp in my room was around the mid 70's, and now its in the high 90's. This has caused a major fluctuation in my ten gallon, causing me to lose my celestial goldfish... I have installed some aerators in my tanks to improve the oxygen levels, but I don't know what else to do! The tanks are in the high 80's and I have no where to move them! I can't let my grandma be in any other room than mine, because she is my elder and I respect her. :(

I would get a couple of big rubbermaids and make a temporary home for them while your grandma is here. You could find a spot in the house where they could hole-up for the duration of her stay. Maybe a sibling's room or the basement....?

I am sorry to hear about your celestial. :rip:

and :goodluck

Good idea Sara! Get a couple of rubbermaids and try putting them somewhere else in the house. :)

I am sorry to hear about your fish! You could also put more bubblers or lower your tank water just a bit to make a big splash from your filter. This will create more oxygen.

I live in Arizona where the temp flucuates so much....It is 54 degrees celcius in the morning and 100 by noon. Granted when it reaches the 80s-90s we are switching the AC on. Maybe you could just make sure the heaters are off when she leaves the room? Are your water parameters ok?

Sorry to hear about your fish! :(

Steph, I really hope you mean Fahrenheit.....54 cel. is pretty warm.....and 100 is boiling....literally! Does it really get THAT hot in Arizona? :rofl

I respect that you have that respect for your grandmother despite the fact that it puts you in a very difficult position.

You have some choices, but none of them are particularly good or easy.

1. Move your fish out of the bedroom, one way or another.

2. Get fans on your tanks and tell your grandma that she cannot turn them off, no matter what. This, however, may not help much as fans could only cool down the water as little as 2-4 degrees and you need to cool the tank down at least 10 degrees and preferably 15. Plus, fans are noisy and grandma isn't going to like it.

3. Buy a very expensive chiller. These are not cheap. They run about $300-$800 but they work fabulously.

4. Do nothing and lose more fish.

I know these aren't answers you wanted to hear, but they really are the only answers.

Edited by Lynda Von G