I Don't Know What It Is

Anic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I made the little sponge filter. I think I did it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it'll still work this way:

020.jpg

Hobo wanted to help again:

009.jpg

Bj?rn being a grump:

004.jpg

That one was a chance shot. He does that when the dogs have their noses on the tank. His tail is so strange....

Yuck...no popping. :wacko:

If it pops let it pop on its own. You might squish the fish :( No fish squishing. :heart

Investigate and pics first please! :)

First thing to do when you see a lump is get a magnifying glass/lens on it. Have a closer look. My eyes are not so good, but from what I can see it does look like a blister filled with liquid with a slight red circle around it meaning bacterial infection. What I would do is remove her to a tub and pop it carefully with a sterile, thinnest needle you have- at the under side -if so. If you don't want to do that (understandable) it will pop on its own, but the liquid will go back in the main tank so separating her till then is important.

However you do need to look closely first. There are several other kinds of growths and they can be diagnosed usually by the appearance of the surface. Cancerous ones are often black or at least half black and/or irregularly shaped, this looks round and smooth like a blister but up close if you see the surface looks like a cauliflower then it could be a warty type (always benign) tumor or growth. If the surface is crusty and peeling it could be lympho. Both these are harmless and can suddenly recede or disappear.

and Ashley...

who is that lil orange guy in the background of Bj?rn's pic? O_o

The sponge filter is "seeding". I'll give it one more hour, then I'll move it to the prepared bucket. Take Stardew out, check out the bump, pop it if needed and put her in the bucket to heal.

If it is an infection, should I salt her bucket? Or swab with hydrogen peroxide? I would feel safer with the peroxide because I'm not sure how many gallons the bucket holds.

Also, that pic was taken weeks ago :P

I would say you should probably do both an HP swab and salt. The HP will keep the wound from getting infected, but the salt will kill any baddies in the water. Can you somehow measure the bucket? Like do you have a quart measuring cup? It may be tedious but it will help keep her healthy.

Well, she's in the bucket now. No pictures as she wouldn't hold still like last time. It doesn't look like there is a red ring anymore. It looks tan/orange-ish and it is soft and squishy O_o What would it be if it's squishy? An infection?

What?!

I'm confused.

In Bj?rn's pic is him, a minnow and Stardew's fins...

It's soft and squishy. And when I was touching it, she stopped moving. And she hates being held, so that was a little strange...

If blistery Me thinks hp'd needle and a quick concise poke...see what comes out! Hp and add salt for healing. :)

It sounds blistery. Are you up to popping it Anic? It will finish this up faster. You need to have her in a separate container with some tank water to do it though. And you need a swab of hp standing by. Maybe 2 pairs of hands...

You need to be calm and have tools ready. Pop the cyst anywhere but low down will drain faster -but dont puncture her skin, just the bubble. It may take a minute to drain. You can squeeze it out with light pressure. Submerge her again for a break. Finally HP the area and put her back. Remember no more than 10 or 20 seconds above/out of water.

You can do the popping in shallow water (holding her just below the tank top surface) if you have good eyes. It's far less stressful that way.

*shudders*

Oh boy.

That won't be easy.

How does this sound:

I'll leave her in her bucket tonight.

Tomorrow when it's bright and sunny, I'll get 2 bowls out with fresh water.

I'll put her in bowl 1 and rinse and refill her bucket (figure out how many gallons and salt)

While she's in bowl 1, I'll sterilize a needle with heat and HP and try to pop it.

I'll keep her in bowl 1 while it's draining and when it's empty, I'll dip her into bowl 2 to rinse her off.

While she's in bowl 2, I'll get the swab ready, take her out and swab her and then put her back into her bucket.

Now, if that sounds like a plan, I have a question - should I lightly dry the area before I apply the HP? Or does it not matter?

Is she in a bucket for QT purposes- sorry I should read back..

Otherwise, yes that all sounds like a good working plan.

You do not have to 'dry' fish ever. Just the few seconds transfer time is enough for the hp to do most of its work and a drop of hp in a tank is no problem

anyway.

Don't be nervous, it is a very simple procedure. (Certainly don't do it if you are very nervous!)

Yes she is in the bucket for qt. It'll be easier to catch her in the bucket and I didn't want it to pop in the tank and risk infecting the other fishies. I have my sister until Saturday night, so I'll probably have her help me. Her or hubby.

Could I leave her in the bucket for about a week while it heals, or would that not be neccisary (sp?) ?

Oh okay. Yes of course that would work.

Have her heal in a cycled tank. That's imperative! Whichever water has zero ammonia/ lowest organic load?lowest nitrates will be the best healing place.

And healing will probably only take a few days :)

Sounds like an excellent plan. Bucket to bowl to bowl to bucket to tank....maybe even quick dip back in bucket for quick cleanse, unless she seems a bit stressed. Quick HP is good!

Ok.

Stardew is making me feel bad. She and Bj?rn are both being sluggish and acting like they really miss each other.

I'm gonna salt the 29gal, and pop/HP the cyst.

I don't like them being this way, so I'm not waiting for morning.

~~~~~~

Nope.

I can't do it.

I can't.

She squirmed as I went to pop the cyst, and I thought the needle stuck her. She didn't act any differently and she wasn't bleeding, but I'm too freaked out to do it.

I'm gonna wait to for it to pop and treat the whole tank. I know that's irresponsible, but I can't do it.

Geesh.....I am not sure I could do it either! :heart

Especially when you start freaking yourself out! :rofl

I am sure Imo will have another attack plan. Do you have pp at the house? It works great for disenfecting the tank...with the fishes in it if it pops. Granted you will have to re-start your cycle, and do all those lovely water changes. But you won't have to pop the stupid blister. ;)

Well, I don't think I stuck her with the needle because she's swimming all happy around the tank this morning. I don't have any pp, but Martha is supposed to be sending me some soon. I have no problem with the water changes if that's what I have to do.

What you could do is take your filters off the 29 and put them on another tank while you pp. That way you don't have to recycle. you will have to do daily water changes either way. As long as the blister doesn't pop before you take the filters off you should be fine.

I think. I am kinda sleepy right now that this might not actually make sense......