[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0 (barely registered)

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Test is MIA

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Same

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops, API

[*]Water temperature? Room temp. 70 - 74*F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gals, been running a few years

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? AquaClear 70

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Between 50 and 80% once a week

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish ( two 4-5 inch goldies, two small minnows and a small female Betta)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Combo of flakes, pellets and gel food twice a day.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Stardew has a wierd bump near her dorsal fin.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Stardew has had this little bump on her for 2-3 months. At first it was a little tiny bump that looked like a pearlscale. I didn't think much of it, but I kept an eye on it. I noticed that it was growing, so I searched for other people who's fish had had the same little bump. Some tried Melafix and cleared it, another salted and cleared it. I tried both (not at the same time, of course) and it didn't seem to have any effect. It's gotten bigger and now I'm worried that it might be a tumor or something else just as serious :( I just did a waterchange (100% because I moved the tank to a different room) and I put her in a bowl to take some pictures of it. I felt it breifly because she was squirmy and doesn't like being held and it feels like Bj?rn's poms but looks like a wen (the two feel different to me).

She hasn't been bottomsitting, lethargic, no problems eating and no floatiness. She acts the same as she always has.

Here are some pics. Some you can see it better than others:

Stardew011.jpgStardew010.jpg

Stardew009.jpgStardew008.jpg

Stardew005.jpgStardew004.jpg

Stardew001.jpg

Great pics by the way! Looks like a wart, but we should probably be waiting for a mod for sure. Most warts do not cause issues as far as I know, just unsightly. :)

O no!! I just wanted to say I hope Stardust gets better! That thing looks scary. You must be much more calm than me because I would be running around right now like a chicken with it's head cut off!

Have you tried anything topical for it? Like a HP or PP swab? Not that I suggest you take my advice....but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Thank you Stephie! Those were hard to get because she kept swimming in circles in the bowl.

I would be afraid of putting something on it. I don't know why, but I would be.

I don't have any PP (and Martha about died when I told her lol). I'm worried about it, but it isn't negativly affecting her as far as I can see so I'm not panicking. It is yucky to look at, though.

Most of the tumors I've seen on goldfish are more spongy looking, but it could be a tumor, in which case, there isn't anything you can do, short of surgery, and most of them are benign. Heinously ugly, but benign. From how I'm seeing it, it looks like a blister. Cysts usually look more like a pimple, but it could be a cyst, I suppose. If it is, you don't want it to pop in water with other fish. It will unload a bucketful of bacteria if it's a cyst and it bursts.

Do you have a qt? I'd isolate him just in case this is a cyst and it bursts. And, I guess starting salt wouldn't hurt......

I had already salted once before and it didn't have any effect on it. I don't have a spare tank at the moment. I could use the tank that the mouse is in if I super sterilize it, but then the mouse would be displaced and I am broke until Thursday.

It used to look more pimply before it got wen-like. It went from pearlscale-little pimple-bigish pimple to wen like. I hope it's not a tumor :( There are no fish dr.s anywhere near me and I probably couldn't afford it..

Most of the tumors I've seen on goldfish are more spongy looking, but it could be a tumor, in which case, there isn't anything you can do, short of surgery, and most of them are benign. Heinously ugly, but benign. From how I'm seeing it, it looks like a blister. Cysts usually look more like a pimple, but it could be a cyst, I suppose. If it is, you don't want it to pop in water with other fish. It will unload a bucketful of bacteria if it's a cyst and it bursts.

Do you have a qt? I'd isolate him just in case this is a cyst and it bursts. And, I guess starting salt wouldn't hurt......

lynda... what does a fish tumor look like?

I've had fish with tumors before. They looked a lot like what Stardew has toing on, but a little less smooth. I had two fish grow them and neither seemed to be bothered by them at all. They were very very slow growing though, which makes me wonder if this is something else?

Well if it started as a pimple, then grew to look like this...is it smooth? If it is smooth I would think that it is more of a blister that can pop and put gross stuff in your water like Lynda stated! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

This happened recently to someone on here, but they didn't know until after it had popped...Minx and Chester! All her fish were fine. Definitely more Mod related....I know she had to put meds in the water. I would really try and get some HP or Iodine. Swabbing if it pops (if) is going to be required. Qtip and HP is easy...just lift the fish slightly out of the water and dab. Making sure it doesn't get in the gills or the eyes. That is it.

Please update with any changes. I will see if I can find Minx's link. Hang in there. :)

Minx and Chester's burst cyst saga

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Ew.

It looks smooth and wen-like, is soft and squishy like a wen, but it feels . . . . 'fluffy' . . . like Bj?rn's poms. I hope it doesn't burst. That would be nasty. I wish I had another place to put her until I can get it taken care of...

I have a common in my pond that has several bumps that look just like that on her. It started with just one little one, but over the course of the 5 years its been since the first showed up she's developed 2-3 more. Last summer a couple of the bumps got scraped off (along with most of her scales) when she decided to wedge herself underneath a sbig rock and got stuck for a few days until my mom went in the pond to look for her. She hasn't shown any other sign of illness and has lived with it for years, and it hasn't spread to any of the other fish in the pond....so, at least with my fish, I'm pretty sure they're just warts or something harmless like that. I hope the bump on your fish is the same thing.

I'll take a look later to see if I have any picture of her bumps...I'm pretty sure I do, just not sure where they are.

I just saw Vickie's thread in the 911 section about Moby. She said he had a little wart thing and he died suddenly :cry1

But Moby was older. Don't worry. Hang on a minute. I will pm a mod to come back. :)

I know it is hard to remain calm. I freak out all the time! ;) But I don't think anything bad is going to happen. How is your water, can you check the parameters? Do you have aquarium salt on hand? Anything else?

Edited by newbiefishgirl

I already posted the params.

I have some sea salt, but I've already salted and it had no effect on the warty thing.

Hang in there. If the params haven't changed....always something to do to keep your mind off worrying! ;)

Not truly knowing...we really need to hang in there for a mod. i am guessing it is either a wart or a cyst. I do not truly know and don't want to give you any bad advice. I pmd a mod, hopefully our time zones will catch up! It is monday or tuesday for some people...now I ma confusing myself.

If your fishie is showing no other signs of concern, really it is a wait and see. Or at least until someone who really knows what advice to give you chimes in. :) Not exactly what you are wanting to hear I am sure.

I really don't think this is urgent, but if something changes..like a blister popping post in 911 and one of the mods will chime in quick... :)

Hang in there!

First thing to do when you see a lump is get a magnifying glass/lens on it. Have a closer look. My eyes are not so good, but from what I can see it does look like a blister filled with liquid with a slight red circle around it meaning bacterial infection. What I would do is remove her to a tub and pop it carefully with a sterile, thinnest needle you have- at the under side -if so. If you don't want to do that (understandable) it will pop on its own, but the liquid will go back in the main tank so separating her till then is important.

However you do need to look closely first. There are several other kinds of growths and they can be diagnosed usually by the appearance of the surface. Cancerous ones are often black or at least half black and/or irregularly shaped, this looks round and smooth like a blister but up close if you see the surface looks like a cauliflower then it could be a warty type (always benign) tumor or growth. If the surface is crusty and peeling it could be lympho. Both these are harmless and can suddenly recede or disappear.

I was thinking, would it be a good idea to giver her some medicated food once I get her in QT? And if so, what kind? I was looking at GC, but I don't want to get the wrong one...

Typically you do not want to medicate unless you are sure there is an infection. Just like antibotics for humans...they can become immune to them and won't work when you really need it to.

Did you figure out what it is yet? If it hasn't popped or become pimply-ish and it is the same...you might just want to leave it alone. Just a growth.

Tell me about the growth or better yet get some more of those fabulous pictures you posted! :)

I'm hoping Stardew just has a growth, like old people get :teehee , but just incase it's something more I wanted to see if I could send Ashley my Jungle food?

I have opened bottles of both anti bacterial and anti parasite. these won't last very long open, and I am sending Ashley some stuff anyway. so if there is an emergency or something, I was thinking it be a good idea for her to have these foods on hand.

so kokonuts, what do you think?

That is a good idea if you can't use them. :)

Just don't use them for shot gun cures!!! Tell us what you see now and lets have Trinket take a look. She is the wizard of fish meds!! ;)

Ashley is at work tonight, but she said she will be doing some investigating on Stardew's "growth" 2morrow. so I'm sure she'll be taking loads of pictures! picturetaking.gif

It can't hurt to send the Jungle food I suppose Martha, just in case, that is a very kind offer. Meantime we can take a closer look at the blister and hear if its popped or if its grown hard and warty looking or if there any more or whatever!

Lol

Ok, here's my plan for today:

Go grocery shopping, while out get some filter floss/sponge/whatever.

Seed the sponge filter in the 29 for a few hours, take Stardew out of the tank during w/c and take more pics and do some investigating.

Then move her into a bucket with the filter.

If it needs popped then we'll go from there.

:D

Thanks for your help guys :)

Yuck...no popping. :wacko:

If it pops let it pop on its own. You might squish the fish :( No fish squishing. :heart

Investigate and pics first please! :)