Just Curious....

devilduck

There seem to be a lot of people who keep goldfish and have bettas too (I'm thinking of doing the same!), is this because they are the logical fish to fill a small fishtank if you're like me and started too small rather than having an empty tank? Does there super-less-messy-than-goldfish care appeal as a contrast? Or is it just because they're pretty??? :D

You're right, a lot of people here also keep bettas :) (I usually have one).

Personally, I find them appealing because they are beautiful and relatively easy to care for. You're right that they are a good candidate to fill those smaller tanks. They don't need nearly as much filtration as goldfish, a 5 gallon tank can really be an ideal home for a betta.

I TOTALLY think part of it has to do with having empty tanks!! You're right.. I started out with a goldfish bowl then "upgraded" to one of those 5 gallon mini bows.. When I found out I needed to go bigger I had the extra tank and got a betta.. Then my addictive personality led me to get a few MORE bettas. Now I just have the one again.

I've always had bettas (and until I found this sight I admit they we took terrible care of them and they lived in vases :hide: ) but I enjoy my betta because he's beautiful, easy to care for, and it lets me have a beautiful planted tank with my little cherry shrimp in it. If I put plants or shrimp in my goldie tank they'd be gonners.

I keep bettas for all the reasons you mentioned! Although I love my goldies, too. ;) I have one betta female in a 16 gal community tank but my male is in a 5 gal by himself. They just have so much personality I find it hard not to have any around--bettas are truly fun and wonderful as little pets. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've kept bettas for forever because they're beautiful and easy to care for. I can't NOT have a betta. LOL.

I have 3 isolated males, each in their own little tanks & a few females in a community tropical tank.

If/when you decide to breed them, it is an amazing thing to watch.

If done right ....courtship & spawing is a good way to teach children about the birds & bee's.

Watching the male care for the brood is also interesting.

I used to have bettas. I love their personalities, and get attached to them. Unfortunately they don't live very long - and I hate to see them go in a couple years.

Zhau Yun:

20061214-000506-800.jpg

Ka-Blam!:

20080323-190202_1024.jpg

Now I have shrimp in the little tank instead.

I have two bettas! I got my first one just because he was pretty, and my roommate got me the second one for my birthday because he had watched me gawking at it whenever we went to the lfs. The betta he got me likes to change colors, so he's interesting. He started off snow white with a blue sheen...then he slowly turned pink and got so dark he almost looked red, now he's lightening up again and showing more blue on his fins. He's a weird one, but sooo pretty.