Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

What Filter For A 29gal?

I just got a 29 gal tank from a cousin. He had a filter for it, but I really do not think it is near powerful enough for goldfish. It is just a cheap brand that you get at the supermarket.

What kind of power output is recommended for a 29 gal tank and up to three fish? I only have two fish right now, but I plan to get a third. Is there a particular style that works best (efficiency, maintenance, etc.)?

Well, the first general rule is that you want the turnover to be 10x. So if you have a 29 gallon tank, the GPH needs to be 290...

I have a 29 gallon with 3 fish also, and I've been using the Marineland Penguin 350. It's a fabulous filter in my experience. It has two biowheels, and space for 4 cartridges, or you can just shove in whatever media you like.

I LOVE that filter.. Actually, I use it on most of my tanks, just in pairs on the larger ones. The goldfish tank I have at the store I work at was running on a canister filter, and I was having bad results and I actually switched to two 350's.. It's very easy to access, which is something I like as far as maintaining.

I, too, would suggest the Penguin 350 stuffed full of media. I have a couple of 29s with Emperor 280s on them.... but that is a bit underdone. I have very small fish in there, though.

I have a couple of 29s that have Emperor 400s on them - and they do great, too. A combo of filters - the old "grocery" one combined with a 280 would work, too. See what is one sale! Remember that you can print off a price on line for a product from Pet S M ar t and they have to match it in the store. BigAls frequently has good sales - and that has often determined what filter I end up with!

:)

What do you mean, "stuffed with media". In the past, I have just used whatever filter cartridge the filter comes with.

I would just go the extra mile and get a biowheel 400 better to have more filteration then not enough. Big als is the most reasonable priced.

What do you mean, "stuffed with media". In the past, I have just used whatever filter cartridge the filter comes with.

"Stuffed with media" means you can get media like ceramic noodles, or biological media rocks, spheres, etc. They provide more surface area for your beneficial bacteria to colonize.

Usually what comes with the filter, filter cartridge wise isn't sufficient for goldfish tanks. So many of us take those out and stuff in media that we like into the filter space in our filters. :)

Oh ya I don't but any of the stuff that comes with it in there. I add all sorts of things to mine. The carbon is pretty usless after 4 weeks anyways.

On my 29, I use a Fluval 405 canister + an Aquaclear 30 HOB.

The canister does most of the work. 1 tray Fluval Pre-Filter Media, 2 trays ceramic bio-media, 1 tray filter floss or Fine Polishing Filter Pad.

The Aquaclear 30 is for special things. I've used it for Nitrazorb and crushed coral for example. When it's not being used for special purpose, it just has regular ceramic bio-media in it.

Seems to work pretty good.