Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

New Tank!

I am so excited! I finally got a new tank for my goldies! They have been stuck in a 10 gal for years (spare me your lectures please :) ), but the new tank is a whopping 29 gal!! I think they are going to be VERY happy, lol.

The tank came from a cousin who wasn't using it anymore. For a long time it has a couple of fish, not sure what kind. He never cleaned out the tank, and it was completely encrusted with algae and lime and who knows what else. It was a bear to clean out! Still not perfect. Some of the limescale/hardwater is permanent I think. I am planning on getting a new filter (I don't think the one he had was powerful enough for goldies), and new rocks/ornaments. It is going to take me a while to set it all up, since we are so short on funding right now. But hopefully I can get the tank set up and cycled over the next month.

I am hoping that maybe a little more space may help them with their persistent floatiness. So far, nothing I have done has helped, and I have tried EVERYTHING. Maybe they just need a little space:)

You know about the space so I won't go there! ;) I was once there too!

Have you tried peas or gel food? Also what are your nitrates in the tank? Nitrates can cause flippy ness!

Congrats on the new tank! :fishtank:

Yay! Isn't it exciting to get a new tank?! I was so low on funds when I got my big tank that it took me 6 months just to get the basic stuff to get it running. And then, of course, 2 more months to get it cycled, so I had to wait a long time to get my fish, but I did manage to do it and you can too!

You can use the filter that came with the tank and just get another one to make up the difference in what you need. That way, nothing goes to waste! Of course, if you get a new filter big enough for the new tank, then you can keep the 10 gallon tank and filter for a qt tank.

What do you feed your fish? If you feed processed food, that might be one explanation for floatiness. Sometimes, nothing fixes floating, but feeding gel food and lots of veggies and fruits may help with that.

Yeah, it is going to take me a while to put the tank all together. Initially, it came with rocks, ornaments, etc. Everything to run the tank. But the rocks were NASTY. I was not in any mood to clean those out, lol. Besides, they were bright blue, and I want to do a natural look in the tank, with river rock. I am still planning to run the 10gal as a QT tank, especially since I would like to get one more fish (a pom-pom if I can find one :) ).

I think I have tried nearly everything to stop their floatiness. Sometimes one will float and the other won't, or vice-versa. Sometimes they both float. Sometimes neither of them float. It always happens after they eat, and lasts a few hours. It can be nerve wracking to come in the room and see you fish floating upside down at the top of the tank. I have had a few panic attacks :unsure: . But, they always get over it after a little while. Water is pristine, and I have tried a veggie diet. They float a little less wit just peas, but I feel they need something other than that. Plus, Firefly doesn't like peas (can't say as i blame her), neither of them like broccoli or oranges. Picky fish. Go figure. I mostly feed them sinking pellets that are high in protein, and I soak them for a good long while before feeding them. I am hoping that the larger tank helps, but if not, I guess they are just going to be floaty forever.

Hmm, question. Can flukes cause floatiness? I have never treated them for flukes (because that Prazi is so dang expensive!). But since I am planning to get another fish in the future, I thought it might me worth it to spring for the meds if I have three fish to treat. Just wondering if that could help them.

Flukes usually cause lethargy because the fishies have trouble breathing. Although I don't see why they couldn't make the fish float. I would treat them with prazi just to be on the safe side. I know it's expensive but if you buy a big bottle of prazi, you will have it forever! And besides you need it for the newcomer. Your cheerleader will undoubtedly come with flukes from the pet store.

EDIT: have you tried laying vinegar soaked paper toweling on the lime deposits? If you leave the paper towel on them for like 20 mins it's supposed to soften the lime and you can scrub it right off! I am going to do that this summer to my tank when the pond is up and running.

Edited by ryukin girl

have you tried laying vinegar soaked paper toweling on the lime deposits? If you leave the paper towel on them for like 20 mins it's supposed to soften the lime and you can scrub it right off! I am going to do that this summer to my tank when the pond is up and running.

I filled up the tank with water, then poured in a whole bottle of vinegar. It did help, but not as much as I would have liked. I will have to try the paper towels. This stuff is really tough, though. I even tried some heavy duty cleaner (rinsed REALLY well after), but it hardly made a dent.