Sign in to follow this  
Guest mlisa73

Oranda Still Sitting

Guest mlisa73

..and if so, should it be a gradual increase? (it's 72 degrees now) ..and how long should I leave it at 78? days? weeks? for good? (or just till I see some sort of improvement?)

Yes always GRADUAL raise in temp, that's so very important. Take the temp up one degree at a time per hour. 75% minimum water change. Epsom in this case : go for one teaspoon per 5gallons NOT one teaspoon per gallon like regular salt. One teaspoon per 5 gallons is the absolute max for epsom dosage! And should only be in a few days so watch close if you can and let us know if it helps or not....

Guest mlisa73

Yah! You're on!

Should I wait until tomorrow to do this. I was just getting ready to take care of it, but I'll be going to bed in probably an hour or two. But if I should keep watch, would it be better to wait?

Also, what causes algae to build up so bad? Both of my tanks are accumulating it, and once it starts, it expands so quickly (it'll be twice as much by morning).

What kind of algae? Green water suspended or sticking on the tank sides or growing in the water or slimy on plants? Is it green?

Guest mlisa73

Mostly brown but green here and there. There's a difference? And it's in both tanks.

You should rid of any excessive brown. It stops the green growing for a start and a little green in every tank somewhere is a good thing. The brown also indicates the chemistry of the water is not perfect for some reason, high nitrates etc.

Guest mlisa73

Well, I have time to wipe that down real quick. Want me to check the nitrates, too?

yepee

Guest mlisa73

Well, the nitrates are still 10 for Starmon (the sick one). Still waiting for the other, which looks like it'll be 20. Should I wipe the brown off, too?

Yes you should. I have nothing but bad to say about those oxides.

decomposing elements like iron and zinc that oxidise. They are released in tanks where high levels of anaerobic conditions are present, processed and dissolved again when the balance of water corrects itself. They can be assimilated by plant matter if you have plants. A totally balanced set up will not show brown algae or oxides. You can increase DO (with an air bubble wand) to help with this and add plants or cultivate green algae/ Once you have lots of green algae, you will never see the brown again.

Guest mlisa73

Is that the tap water's fault, the iron and zinc? Could remnants of the peas cause algae maybe? (I was wondering that the last time I had an outbreak of it). No, I don't have any real plants, but I do have an air stone.

But I got it scrubbed down now. And I haven't told you this yet, but earlier this evening (it's 10 pm here, now), I actually saw him rooting at the rocks. Not sure if he (or she) got anything, but at least there was an attempt. ('Bout to scare the daylights outta my husband! I was so excited!)

I guess it'll be ok to wait until tomorrow to take care of the 75% (which seems like alot, but I'll have the fresh water close at hand after that last bucket) and the temperature increase. I wanna make sure I can monitor things, esp. the temperature. And I should keep it at 78 for a while? (I gotta ask you stuff while I can.. LOL!) Trying to think of anything I'm forgetting... Any last minute tips?

Last tips? Go slow. Give it time and enjoy your 'bonding' time when doing large water changes. I find sick fish prefer their water changes done slow and dont enjoy the rough and tumble of a quick bucket throw as much as they do when well!! Take the temp up slow, and check on him every hour. 78 for a week or so yes. Take out any fake plants and rinse them down in the old tank water. If they really smell bad after that, I suggest you throw them. Old plastics seem to rot. Good luck. I'll check back on you all soon.

Guest mlisa73

Ok, Trinket. Thanks so much. I'll post tomorrow after I'm done, whether there's change or not, whatever happens. Goodnight!

:thumb:

:k045:

Guest mlisa73

I hope this is ok, but I just measured, and if I take 75% of the water out, it will leave only 2.375 (or 2.5, rounding up) inches of water for her :cry , so I'm just gonna do two 50's, back to back. I'm trial-running the new heater in a wastebasket to see how quickly it heats, and what setting is around the 78 degree mark, since it doesn't have numbers...

It is fine. 50% back to back works. ;) You will be fine! I change their water sometimes 80% at a time...well until they start getting mad at me.

Hang in there you are doing a good job! :goodjob

Guest mlisa73

Well, this was before the water change and thermometer (which is all done now.. just monitoring from here on out for a while), but I taped her rooting in the rocks. I just caught the tail end of it, so it's short, but here's the video.. (I'm so proud!!!)

">4/21/09--Starmon "eating"?

And in case that doesn't work, here's the direct link...

http://gs89.photobucket.com/groups/k228/GF...t=Video0095.flv

I don't know if she actually ate anything, but at least she's finally trying after several weeks (I've lost track).

Guest mlisa73

Temps at 76F now, been working up from 72 at 1pm (4 hours ago). Assuming I only go to 78 still... (???)

:whatjust: YAY!! She's eating something!! (Lets hope it is food!!) That's great!!

Now she will start to get better slowly. You are doing very well. The back to back changes are fine and the temp sounds good. You can go safely to 80 but I usually go for around 78. Can you see any bloat? Did you add epsom salt?

Guest mlisa73

Physically, she still looks the same, but I have noticed that she's moving a bit more now. Trying to go up more, and scooting along more. I had been just feeding her at night (in about 3 more hours), but I'm thinking since I've got about 1/2 hour to spare till bathtime (kids), I might just try now (I usually give her 1/2 a pea, then wait about 4 or 5 minutes for more). I wanna see something come out of her butt (that sounds weird though.. LOL!!!) :tomuch:

Yes I did add epsom.. 2 tsp.

Ah yes butt evidence :D . Go for it.

Guest mlisa73

Wanted to post real quick (got a few errands to do).. no poop, no eggs, yet. Where can all this food be going? Temp's still holding steady at 78. Will return in 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Any more news mlisa? How is he doing?