Sign in to follow this  
Guest mlisa73

Oranda Still Sitting

Shrimp is great!! I always feed sick fish with brine shrimp or mysis shrimp :) .

Well.. she would release eggs after you placed her back down if she was going to I think.

Im glad to hear she is not over slimey (parasites and disease). It sounds like some kind of impact issue. I'm now wondering if we shouldn't take all the regular salt out and try just epsom salt which is a laxative/diuretic. Have you seen her poop? When and what is it like if so? Bubbley? Food color?

Don't mean to butt in here.... :rofl

What is the temp in the tank? Have you had some lovely temp changes in your area lately? How are the nitrates today?

Trinket, my train of thought....is usually all over the place, but if the fish in question was in the process of laying eggs then the temp went down significantly would it naturally cause the fish to hang on to the eggs until it warms up?

I am glad your fishies seems a bit happier, especially if she is nibbling your hand. :)

Guest mlisa73

If you go back to the video, the white end is hanging right in front of her face at the beginning. The top view, after I zoom in, shows it again. The other end was green, like peas.

mlisa, I think we need to get the epsom out. Do you have any epsom salts?

She or he is very impacted. With eggs or poop or even with bacteria in the intestinal tract. Epsom will help flush her out. When a fish doesn't eat,I think this condition can get worse.

Stephie, yes temperature has an effect too. What is the temperature of the water?

Guest mlisa73

I was JUST getting ready to check the nitrates. Got the sample sitting on the countertop! You're psychic!!! And her temp is... 70 F. And yes, we've been getting those cold nights (34 F) and warm days (supposed to be 74 today--PERFECT!)

Guest mlisa73

I don't have epsom, but I could run to the store. What would I have to do?

Um no, not baking soda. That will raise the pH.

Epsom is magnesium sulfate and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

Guest mlisa73

So, do you think I should run out and get some epsom salt then? (Been wanting to get some anyway actually) And what would I have to do? a water change? And how much epsom salt should be added? Is that something used for extreme impaction and/or constipation? And the temperature.. should I put a heater in there?

(Been wanting to get some anyway actually)

That's the spirit!!!!! :bingo:

Yes, I'm sorry its all change again, but I think you should. It is used for impaction and constipation yes. You don't need much. It is rather powerful. A few teaspoons is all and you will need to clear at least most of the regular salt, down to 0.1% at least anyway.

Do you have a reliable heater with thermostat?

Guest mlisa73

Well, the salt's at 0.3; would a 50% change take it to 0.15?; then another 25%???

And the heaters.. one is brand new, 10" long, the other is old 9" long (the new one came with the 26 gallon tank). They both have + to - knob on top.

I'd go with the brand new heater. Set it for 78 to start. Make sure its not going up more than one degree or max two in an hour though. Slower is safer.

The knob holds the temp at whatever you set it at? (Sorry -gadgets differ where I am)

Yes on the salt math. Steph can you confirm the salt math actually as I had a really looong day at work and my head is spinning. Lots of admin mistakes at work that were not mine but looked like they were. :doh11:

Guest mlisa73

I assume it gets hotter the more you turn it toward the + sign. But I can do that. And I'll wait to hear from her as to how much to add. Thanks so much for your help! Goodnight! And I'll keep y'all posted (provided my DSL doesn't go out again, like it did just now ..dang-it!)

Guest mlisa73

Stephie... how much epsom should I use?

btw.. nitrates are 10 !!!!! :rockon

Good nitrtates! :)

Ok, On the salt. Epsom salt and aquarium salt are NOT to be used together. This is a BAD combination. So what I would do is 2 75% water changes just to be sure all the aquarium salt is gone, before adding epsom.

;)

I will be back in a few...at work sneaking on here.

I looked it up! :) 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallons for epsom salt.

Just to be certain.....do not mix aquarium salt and epsom. :badidea

Let me know if you need anything else

okay I'm just going to launch into a little opinion time here. Years ago I really thought the two salts could not be mixed and that one had a completely opposite effect to the other. And yes they are used in different case scenarios. I spent some time researching this however for the contraindications paper I wrote and I could not find anywhere any solid reason why the two salts could not be mixed. Epsom is also used as a diuretic and for pop eye in salt water/saline tanks to good effect after all. I do think you should remove the salt if you can but traces of salt are really not going to affect the work of the epsom. Also I think a higher dose of epsom would be good. Some recommend as much as a tablespoon per 5 gallon, my thinking on this is no more than one level teaspoon per 5 gallons maximum.

Good to know! How much time did you do researching? :heart

I wasn't sure on the epsom so I looked it up on the treatment page. maybe that should be updated! :)

How is the fish?

Hello :unsure:

:bump:

Guest mlisa73

I'm so sorry you guys. Yes, very busy weekend. Actually this morning was quite busy (various paperwork, two phone calls.. Mom stuff). But I've finally gotten the epsom salt, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I need to do some quick tidying up around here, then I'll get right on it. I just wanted to post real quick and apologize. But I've been hand-feeding her peas, blood worms/shrimp all weekend. Saw some more long, jagged white poop yesterday morning when I got up. This morning when I got up, I caught her in the corner, nose down; looked like she might had been rooting in the rocks, but I'm not sure. She hasn't searched for food for ages!!! But other than that, everything's still the same.

Ok, then.. so to recap, do you guys think I should still do two 75% water changes, then add 2 tsp. of epsom salt (Trinket suggested 1 per gallon)? Or would perhaps one change suffice? I'll definitely wait for a positive answer on this before I proceed (got a few miscellaneous things to do around here anyway while I wait). And even if it has to wait until tomorrow, that's fine, too. Lemme know what y'all think...

Judging from Trinkets post you could probably just do the biggest change you can and add the epsom salt. Just keep a chart. :)

Guest mlisa73

..just thought of something. Should I put the heater in there, too, at 78 degrees? Because doesn't temperature change initiate spawning? (back to the dishes..)