Sign in to follow this  
Guest mlisa73

Oranda Still Sitting

Guest mlisa73

Well, I only added 10 tsp, which since I have a 10 gallon tank, that would be .1%, right?

Yes! This is great! You had me worried for a minute there. :krazy:

Ok, 12 hours after you added the 10 tsp aquarium salt you can add 10 more, make sure that you let it "melt" in dechlorinated water and add once it has dissolved. ;)

Keep checking your levels. Our goal is to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-10 nitrates (this is wishful thinking for some of us try to keep it around 10). What are yours out of the tap again?

How is Starmon doing?

Did someone mention eggs and did I miss a picture of that?

Keep going with raising the salt exactly - you can fill the water up as a 10 gallon is shallow and extra water helps dilute toxins better and makes salt dosing easier too. Check back when you can!! We are here.

Guest mlisa73

Yah! Everyone's back! (I love this site!!!)

Ok, so around 10 or 11 pm tonight, I'll do it again. And I'll just wait and test the water tomorrow. My nitrate bottles will be empty in no time if I keep testing too frequently.

My tap has nitrates at 5, always. But I do use EasyBalance which has what the bottle calls "Nitraban" that's supposed to lower nitrates and -ites.

What's he doing now? Funny, actually (hey, gotta take in stride). I videoed him..

th_Video0089.jpg

He's actually swimming around a bit more (guess he likes 10 gallons better than 7, or whatever it was).

Oh, and Trinket.. (obviously, you're the fry expert around here.. LOL!). Can fish possibly lay eggs without even being chased, cuz there wasn't any kind of activity like that prior to those eggs. I actually thought it was Nitraban granules, but they look more like fine salt or sugar, these were perfectly round (and I squeezed one and it was soft). And how do you know, in a case of this kind, who laid the eggs? Oh, here's another one.. AND how do you know if eggs have been fertilized? (Questions for future reference.. you never know!)

EDIT... Sorry guys, I goofed on the video again. Just click HERE

Edited by mlisa73

Guest mlisa73

Do y'all think I should put the air stone in the middle of the tank so he can't get lodged like that?

I can't open the video. :(

Yes they will lay eggs without being chased. No they will not be fertilized if there isn't a male in the tank. Eggs left in tank cause nitrates to spike and can cause infection.

Did you clean all the eggs out of the tank?

Yes try moving the air stone...no worries my guys get stuck even when they aren't sick.

Ummm...you did help him get out of there didn't you? Poor guy...I mean gal!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

Guest mlisa73

LOL! I'm glad you asked me that. Usually I do help him out of predicaments, but I've been just watching to see if he can get himself out before I intervene here lately. I was actually going to ask if I should or not. I was actually fussing at my middle child (the one who used to tap on the glass, but after I told her that you said she shouldn't, she won't anymore).. she wanted to grab the air hose and pull it inward (she's helped a few times, too). So I should probably move it, shouldn't I?

I think I got some of the eggs during a vacuum/change, and I think GoldNumemon might have eaten the rest, but they were only in there a day, maybe a day and a half.

post 19 with links ;)

Will check in a mo..thx.

Can fish possibly lay eggs without even being chased, cuz there wasn't any kind of activity like that prior to those eggs. I actually thought it was Nitraban granules, but they look more like fine salt or sugar, these were perfectly round (and I squeezed one and it was soft). And how do you know, in a case of this kind, who laid the eggs? Oh, here's another one.. AND how do you know if eggs have been fertilized? (Questions for future reference.. you never know!)

Yes! Fish can release eggs. Its somewhat less common than re-absorbing them but they dont need a male. They only need a male to fertilise them- hey just like people :blink: Am on my way to the egg study now....

Oh and video link takes me to my own photobucket account :rofl

Yes, please help her out of there. It will stress her out more being stuck! :)

Most of them probably did get eaten....it wasn't in this tank though? Right? I have to use a spatula to scrape them off the surface of my bare bottom tank and scrub the intake tube to get those things out of there!

She could still have eggs, they can take several days to be laid. If this is egg related we might have to go a different route. Trinket will have to advise though. ;)

haha Trinket and I were posting at the same time! Click on the HERE button below the video screen to see video. :) I did it too! :rofl

Edited by newbiefishgirl

I see. the vid and the pics- but no eggs. Very curious position she is in. I see why you wanted to lower the water surface. I think one thing you could do if you hate seeing her like that is try a breeder box near the surface. Its like a collander type box that allows water through, yes its tiny but she would be nearer the surface there. I cant imagine her posture etc is going to change much though in it.

Could she be impacted? Well, its possible. If you look from above can you notice is one side of her body more puffed out an swollen than the other (not balanced fullness) or is it all round? She does look very plump, has she always been like that? Your other fish also look nice and well fed.. so maybe?

you didn't see any eggs on the plants? Hmmm...maybe I am seeing things. it was in the 1st pic. I will go look again. ;)

Guest mlisa73

I'm gonna go see if her shape is awkward. I haven't really noticed. And I'm pretty sure she's always been shaped like that. That was actually one of the features I've always admired about her (along with her cute little wen and half orange/half silver eyes.. awww!). Also, I'm gonna go through my computer and see if I have any other pictures of her that I haven't posted on photobucket yet. Oh, and the egg photos, I posted on another site. I'll move them to my "fishies" link.

What can you do if fish eggs do get impacted? Please don't tell me I'd have to do what I seen once on youtube. Someone was actually manually making the fish release them with his hands. Squeezing or something. Can impaction cause bouyancy issues?

There is impaction and re-absorption of eggs. Two different things. The first one is very serious. Both cause bloat, bottom siting and can cause tipping.

Impaction is when the eggs get all mixed up with other fluids (a very non-tec explanation) and can actually be fatal as it interferes with normal osmoregulation and release of fluids. Epsom salt can help (not regular salt).

Re-absorption just can take time but eventually you'll see a lump of eggs in the poop. Jellied bubbles that bend the line of long poop (always long) in a zigzag as they are heavy.

Both can also be helped by a very light stroke of the belly. However it is very dangerous. The kidneys are in the same area and are so easily ruptured. Every year there are many stories of folk who have tried to release their fishes eggs and pressed a smidge too hard- the kidney explodes- the fish dies. It is really a delicate operation. And if it is in fact a bacterial (esp internal ulcer) infection then it can also cause internal bleeding.

A much nicer alternative is to ever so gently cup and lift the fish in the water up to the water level once- the stress and shock from being lifted and moved manually can release the eggs.

Guest mlisa73

I found more videos of them two when they were together. I put the link in my profile. Some are dated Sep 29, 2008 (when GN had dropsy), and I found a video (that I didn't do very well on) that I made right after I put Cassie and Snyder in the 26 gallon when it was new. I had taped them first, then Angel, my middle child, said, "Don't forget them." So, to make her happy... That one's dated 2/9/09. That could maybe give you an idea of how he usually maneuvers.

I looked for swollen-ness, but can't really tell well. I'll examine him every chance I get, when he moves into different locations (esp. if he goes in the middle).

Oh, and I'm trying to salt the tank, and it's almost time again (almost 12 hours). I'm pretty sure I'm at the 0.02%, and just need one more treatment. Do I do a water change, too, cuz that's what I did today.

Edited by mlisa73

Guest mlisa73

I just read in the salting post newbie has in her signature that you wrote that a bucket or cup will do. I think I'll just take out the fishwater, dissolve salt, and return it, using just a cup. After all, I did just add 31% fresh water earlier. I'm gonna go ahead and do that, cuz it's 10 pm and I'm getting sleepy.

If I decide to try lifting her up tomorrow, is there any certain length of time I should hold her there, or just up and back down?

Very gently up to the surface, hold a few seconds and place her back down. You don't even need to take her to the top actually, just near the top or around the tank, the idea is to move her manually. Its a little shock/physical stimulation that can sometimes trigger egg release.

Guest mlisa73

Would it hurt to try this anyway? Or should it only be done if it's definitely egg impaction?

I think you should try. Because it is one possible explanation for the strange position she is in and the bloat. It wont hurt -(some owners move their fish manually to do water changes) - but at the same time it is not something to be doing regularly without good reason.

You can do it very slowly. Allow her to get use to your hand first by placing it down close to her in the water. There is enough shock factor with the lift alone so get her use to your hand first. And make sure your hand is rinsed well of soap residue or hand cream of course when you have it in the tank for any length of time.

Take note of afew things while you are there. How solid and hard does her stomach feel? Is there any mushiness at all (DONT squeeze though!) and how slimey does she feel? Extra so or just normal?

Guest mlisa73

Well, she sorta is getting used to my hand being in there anyway, from hand-feeding her twice a day. The other day when I moved her airstone, she nibbled at my hand! I haven't fed her yet.. should I do that before or after?

After.

then she'll forget about the little shock as she focuses on grub :D

Guest mlisa73

She didn't sit completely flat in my hand (there was a gap between her fins and my hand). She actually swam into my hand! And she didn't look stressed at all. I held her there maybe 20 seconds. She actually raised herself up higher to penetrate the surface.

Her coating feels fine, and her belly seemed firm, but then again, I don't know how they're supposed to feel.

....no eggs?

Guest mlisa73

If it's eggs, should she have released them right away? ..like, as I was lifting her?

And I finally got her to eat some shrimp!

Edited by mlisa73