Filters And Food

jody

Since I have started feeding the boogers gel food and frozen food (blood worms, and brine shrimp) my filter pads clog up faster. The food is all over the tank and half of it gets sucked into the intakes. I started turning off my filters during feeding time. This works on two levels. It creates less current slowing down the moving of the food and letting it settle on the bottom where they can find it more readily and it keeps the filters from sucking all the food up and wasting resources.

:)

• 1 month later...
Guest moodee_q
Since I have started feeding the boogers gel food and frozen food (blood worms, and brine shrimp) my filter pads clog up faster. The food is all over the tank and half of it gets sucked into the intakes. I started turning off my filters during feeding time. This works on two levels. It creates less current slowing down the moving of the food and letting it settle on the bottom where they can find it more readily and it keeps the filters from sucking all the food up and wasting resources.

when i do this then the fishes think that its cleaning time they for get about the food and goes to a corner:)

I am not sure you are giving them enough time to find the food. I find if I feed floating foods from time to time they will still go to the bottom but still figure out where the food is within 5 mins. Then funny thing next time I feed sinking they go to the top. Any change will confuse them at first. Usually takes one of my guys to figure it out first and then the rest follow.