Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

I'm Starting A Goldfish Rescue.

Bah, they have rescues for dogs, cats, horses, snakes and lizards, G/pigs and just about everything else under the sun.

Why not goldfish?? They are probably the pet most often flushed down the toilet when their owner no longer wants them.

Instead of flushing their fish, they can bring them to me, so I can bring them back to health.

I buy all the sick, ugly fish anyway......

And yes, everyone thinks I'm nuts. Goldfish Rescue.... :wacko:

Jessica

Hey, I think thats a great idea. I have my own mini-rescue going on here too. :P It would be bigger if I could have my way! I found a website a few years back (it came up on the search with Kokos :D ) called the Goldfish Sanctuary. Im not sure if theyre still around or not. They had an idea similar to that, with adoption chapters all over the place. If you no longer wanted your fish you could bring it to a "sanctuary" place where it would be cared for till they could adopt it out to someone. I remember on their homepage they had the Thoreau quote, "Who hears the goldfish when they cry?" I loved that. I think someone on here has it on their signature.

Well, I hear them cry, and it makes my skin crawl.

I just found the link. I did a search on Goldfish Rescues and came up with nothing. But I just typed Goldfish Sancutary into a search engine and it pulled up the page. So now I have to get reading.

Thank you Jsrtist.

Jessica

Ugh, That website was sounding awesome!! But then I came to a page saying please do not call or write us, we've been non-existant for 5 years.

Quitters!!!!

Jessica

Oh, thank you Wynkin, I missed your post, we must have posted at the same time ;) They aren't running the GFS anymore though.

Looks like I'm on my own.

Jessica

best way to do it, is get as many as your friend goldfish keepers to help you, and they can all take in fish for you, and run it all rfom one site, this way u have many drop of points for goldfish all over the world :)

dunno if i typed that clear enough ?.....joint effort type thing....

Sounds like a great idea, Jessica. Do you have any plans yet as to how you are going to set it up?

Guest Katzchen

Jessica,

That is a geat idea, let me know if you need any help. I would love to run a "branch" here in Columbus as soon as I get my soul back from ResLife and can move into an apartment.

I would also love to help with any other area. Viva la Goldfish!

:goodluck

I think it is an awsome idea. and id love to do it myself. I think rubbermaid containers would work wonderfully to house them in till they had a home to go to or stay in your home :) , I personally would end up keeping them all.*LOL* Oh and i forgot to tell everyone. There is a goldfish pond about 5 miles from me, and I always forget about it till AFTER I buy my fish at the LFS/nnnnnn.D'OH, anyway I will be visiting them come this spring, They sell them, and their sign says, goldfish ponds, for sale for your ponds/tanks....I think they might have some precious tresures:D. When I check them out I will let you all know !

Guest pryncezz

there isa place like that called goldfish sanctuary. they are on the web, look me up. they may be interested in having you opne one of their locations

That is a great idea. How much success have you had with your rescue :D .

Hi everyone, thanks for your support.

I am not exactly sure what I am doing yet, I'm an aries, always in a state of disarray, but always with big plans. :D

First off, I am making a cheesy little website. My html is so not what it used to be, so I am using page builder....which is why it's cheesy LOL. But at least that way, the Rescue will have an online page that people can refer to for information.

The ideas of chapters all over is awesome!! I will let you all know when I finish this website, and if anyone wants to help or whatever I can add that to my page.

If you have any ideas or whatnot, feel free to voice them. I have never done anything like this before. Of course it will have a link to Koko's if that is alright with her, I will have to email her ;o)

Jude, so far no success with my Rescue because I've just started it. Unless you mean that big Pond fish that is missing 35% of it's scales....it's doing just fine. *knock on wood*. :D

And Richy, I'm calling this rescue "Pond Dogs" LMAO!

Jessica

Edited by JessicaandMarshall

I agree Jessica. I do that also.. I will get the weakest fish out of the tank and try to bring them back to good health. so far it has worked ! I always say it is better to be a tad bit over-crowded in a tank where the owner actually cares as opposed to being over-crowded @ the lfs

please let us know if there is anyway we can help you.. we could have the 'national goldfish rescue crew' all around

Edited by kiesha

wow, this is going to be a huge undertaking, jess! are you going to have a few extra tubs that you will perpetually run meds through? that is the main thing i kept thinking about while reading these posts. you know: "oh, our fishy is sick, lets go drop him off and get a new one". now youve got a goldie with possible flukes and or other parasites. maybe you could get in touch with a couple of med companies to get a "sponsorship" for meds and such. you are very brave for going ahead with this idea! maybe, after you get some info and literature going, ill start a chapter here in northeast florida! :lol: i really will entertain this idea for the time being. my # of tanks is growing every month or two. plus ive already got three 40 gallon tubs with a few extra filters.

oh! oh! oh! maybe you could get emmas permission to print out copies of her goldie caresheet to hand out to people that are seeking info on better goldfish care.

that might even discourage people from "dropping their fish off at your doorstep". unless, this is all just a ploy to boost your goldie collection! :lol: (kidding)

Edited by toothless

Why not goldfish?? They are probably the pet most often flushed down the toilet when their owner no longer wants them.

Instead of flushing their fish, they can bring them to me, so I can bring them back to health.

I hate to be the Cynical old fart of this tread but do you really think people who are already willing to flush their fish are also going to be willing to bring them to you or spend money to ship them? I'm aware of GF sanctuary but i have doubts of how effective they are/were in the bigger picture of the problem. The people who care enough to send them their fish would probably never think of flushing them anyway. If you look at their site you'll see that GF sanctuary has not allowed people to adopt from them for 5 years which tells me they learned what i just said in this post the hard way. It all sounds very nice to talk about but putting it effectively into practice is another matter.

Edited by SomethingFishy

No I don't expect anyone will ship me their fish. But how many people "care" enough to dump their common or comet off at the lps and run like the wind....a lot. I see the fish.

If I am closer, they will bring the fish to me, instead of the lfs, and by doing that, save me a drive to the lfs to rescue the darn thing anyway.

Hopefully people in other towns can/will help, and that will cut down on the need to ship fish.

I don't know anything about the Goldfish Sanctuary, other than they quit.

Quitting gets you no where.

Jessica

Guest fredandlinda

HI Jessica

I d on't think you're nuts-I think it's a great thing what you want to do. My friends and family all think I'm nuts just for the special care and attention I pay to my two little fishies, Fred and Linda. ALl the power to yah!

Mel

Jess that's a great idea. I like the use of "Pond Dogs." I can't offer much help until I finish school...but hopefully then I can pitch in with some CT fishies.

Might be worth trying to contacnt the sanctuary to see if they have any members who might re-engage in this...

:)

Jessica,

I will support you all the way in this as much as I can. I completely know what you mean about people just dumping their fish off at the LFS. Once someone brought a sick fish to us and we said we couldnt take it so when we went to get something they ran off and left the fish there in a cooler. :(

Im a designer so please let me know if you need artwork or logos or anything like that and I'd be happy to help you out! Email me at jsrtist@yahoo.com.

I know it seems like a huge undertaking right now but I believe you can really do it. Im not an Aries (Im a Pisces :P ) but am always getting grand ideas too. So anyway I'd love to be able to help you out. I wish so much that I could do the rubbermaid idea in my place but my hubby really wont let me bring anything else home! Ive brought home too many rescues already.

Anyway good luck and I support you 100%!

PS Im attaching a pic of my newest rescue who is thriving!

post-9-1075439094.jpg

what a cutie !!!