Fish Are Flashing...why?

I've noticed that some of my fish keep flashing against the pebbles in my tank - and mainly only in one area of the tank, strangely enough.

I gravel vac once a week and do a small water change mid week too.

I took some readings:

Ammonia and Nitrite 0mg/l

Nitrate approx 15mg/l

pH 7.5

24 hours later after a water change I did them again and the nitrate had reduced to 10mg/l.

I can't see any signs of skin problems at all.

Puzzling me a bit :blink:

:) i know there really aren't questions for the tropical disease section, but could you give us some more specs for your tank? it might help give the tropical fishperts some more ideas.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish/what kind of fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Ok...though I answered most already:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10mg/l

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? Roughly the same

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drop test kit, nutrafin

[*]Water temperature? 24C - roughly 75/76F?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 23G, running 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 3

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Gravel vac once a week changing at least 30%, water change mid week changing around 20%

[*]How many fish/what kind of fish in the tank and their size? 4 corys, a guppy, 4 platys, 6 neons

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? king british safe water and safe guard

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? flake, blood worm, brine shrimp, algae pellets (not all at once!) - once or twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no - only the random flashing

Edited by lclayton

Not all of them. The guppy does occasionally, a couple of the neons do, a couple of corys and a couple of platys. I've been looking again today and still can't see any skin problems, etc.

Yea, flashing is usually a sign of flukes or an external parasite (anchorworm, ich, trich, hih, velvet, etc.)

Look as close as you can and notice anything that looks out of the ordinary to try and identify exactly what it is.

In the mean time, I might try salting the tank. You know the process for that, right?

In the mean time, I might try salting the tank. You know the process for that, right?

Yep, decided to salt it this morning anyway. I can't see a single thing wrong with any of them. Could anything else cause it - stress? Though I don't see what they'd have to be stressed about.

Oh well - I suppose there isn't much else I can do but watch them.

:hmm yeah, your situation seems quite perplexing.

Salting sounds like a good idea, and it's good you've already done it.

Do you keep any live plants? And how do you normally do your gravel vacs?

If you're thinking of worming them, wormer plus is an excellent product. I've used it for my puffer fish as they were really thin etc and have since been (fingers crossed) had no problems. I also find that their appetite is better after worming too. If you want any info on the product give me a shout :)

Do you keep any live plants? And how do you normally do your gravel vacs?

Yes I have half live plants, and half silk plants. Plan to have it all live plants eventually.

As for 'how' I do my gravel vacs, I'm not sure what you mean...? I vacuum the gravel :D

apocraphya - not sure if it is worms but if I suspect as such I shall ask your advice, I would be clueless there!

Thanks

I vacuum the gravel :D

Good way to do it :)

Any improvement yet? Obviously keep the water pristine, etc. And keep a close eye on 'em. If the guppys or neons are moving too fast, maybe try netting them against the glass in the water if you can do it w/out stressing them out too much.

Without knowing what you're dealing with for sure, I'd probably stay away from meds and chemicals for now. Salt really can work wonders for a lot of this stuff.