Introducing Berta

While I was fish-shopping a few weeks ago at a LFS, there was a tank with a pair of LARGE telescopes in it: one white, and one velvety black. The white one wasn't very attractive and looked unhealthy... but the black one was impossible to pass up. Out here, nobody stocks large goldfish (these were sold to the store by a local resident).

So, now I have Berta (pronounced 'bear-tah'), a large moor. I introduced her to the main 50-gallon tank this afternoon. She is a strong and active swimmer, loves exploring the plants, can move river rocks, and frightens Se?or Dulce (the betta). She has some gold showing on her belly. The fact that she is this old and still almost entirely black makes me want to breed moors :D . The soft black color is beautiful.

P1050695edit.jpg

P1050698edit.jpg

Berta.jpg

P1050686cropped.jpg

I'll get some sharper, cleaner photos of her next Monday (it's my day off) and submit them to Photo of the Week :)

Beautiful!!! I have a Male Black Moore, and his name is Bertie! haha mine is changing colours tho, he is going a nice golden colour

Yay! new fish!

She is very beautiful and a lovely name you chose for her. So this is your first time to notice the charm of velvet black moors/demekins? Welcome to the fan club!

I started with one and was hooked ( I now have... 7?). I bet she is happy in your big healthy looking tank :exactly

So I had the bright idea of moving my fish photos into one folder on photobucket, and now my links are broken. oops:

Berta.jpg

P1050698edit.jpg

P1050695edit.jpg

P1050686cropped.jpg

She's doing great, but I don't think Se?or Dulce likes all the water movement...

Very nice. I love black moores. Just never had much luck with them. Hmm Maybe that well be the new goldfish to live with Micah in the 29 gallon.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I found her. Joy wanted me to tell everybody that she came up with the name.

I do have a heater in the tank, and the betta has been fine with the relatively low temperature. There are places for him to hide, but I'm considering relocating him.