My 50 Gallon Tank's Debut

samoht70

I have been gradually (for over 6 months) been tinkering with this 50 gallon tank, adding plants (for free via craigslist :) ), building the stand and filter, and finally adding substrate and an improved light strip. The tank is in front of a window but does not recieve direct sunlight. Until a few weeks ago, it housed only my single male betta, Se?or Dulce. Then I added a young bristlenose pleco, and today Berta (my beautiful moor that I chanced upon) was introduced. Now that it is mostly set up, I'm posting the first pictures.

There are currently seven plant varieties in my tank: hornwort, java moss (I'm making it into turf), anubias nana (my first plant; it's in a pot), amazon sword (a tiny one :( ), two different java ferns, and jungle val (eel grass). There is a chunk of driftwood in the center, propped up on rocks to form a cave: it was given to me already covered with small java ferns. Most of the plants are still working to become established, and in an other month or so the jungle val should form a nice background for the tank.

P1050686cropped.jpg

P1050695edit.jpg

These photos are a bit lower quality than I'd like: there were still too many particles in the water to get a crisp photo, and there's algae on the glass. In May or early June, when the plants have grown in (and/or I'm in my new apartment), I'll post an update.

After I posted, I got the brilliant idea of consolidating all of my fish photos in one folder on photobucket, and it broke the links. I think these are the photos I posted:

P1050686cropped.jpg

P1050698edit.jpg