Panda Orandas?~

Guest super pom pom

Guest super pom pom

Has anyone kept panda orandas? Ken told me personally they don't exist and he would never have any. He said they all fade out. HOWEVER I want to breed them but just want more info.(can they stay blk n wht)(are they more fragile) They are expensive at our store. This conversation can apply to the "blue oranda" as well. Right now I have a pom pom that I couldn't pass up. Thanks SPP*

Well, he's right and he's wrong, IMO. Panda orandas do exist, but they usually do all totally, completely fade out. It isn't that the fish, itself, is fragile, as in, getting sick or tolerance levels, etc., but it is more fragile as far as having a stable coloring. With the exception of maybe orange, no color in a goldfish is truly stable, and even with orange, you could still find the fish fading or getting spots of one color or another.

Breeding a panda oranda, at this point in the game, is extremely hit or miss. First, you have to get one and it isn't easy. China is the only place that breeds them and it seems few to no one in America imports them, for whatever reason. Maybe because they will fade and they don't want to be held responsible for angry customers when their fish change color and it's just not worth their time.

The kind of breeding that needs to be done with panda orandas at this point, is finding a way to get the colors to stay true. And this is going to take many, many years of very educated and selective breeding. I'm sure that they have been trying to do this in China and, still, they aren't having any true luck.

Show level goldfish owners have very specific, stringent feeding and keeping techniques that can maintain and enhance goldfish colors, but even they find their fishes' colors changing over time.

With regard to blue orandas, that's a different story. Blues are a very stable color as far as the blue, but the trick with blues is to try to keep out the copper spots that almost always pop up. This is their problem with color changes.

Guest super pom pom

Thanks for reply. We have a pretty decent aquarium store called "Aquarium Adventures" They brought in a whole 'herd' of pandas w a good helpin of orange as well as blk n wht, on them. I was hesitant to buy at $50. a pop. None where that GREAT. However my evil plan is to use the genetics to make my own "perfect" panda! I'll take some second hand show fish and breed them for better fish. So my pom pom has a bent fin. I dont think her fry would have bent fins. Anyway The pandas get BIG and that is just fun. I luv all my fish but I really like there lil baby fry! Also a sucker 4 bumpy face lumpy head!

Ah, you see? The orange that's starting to show on those pandas you mentioned is a clear sign that they're already starting to change. So, no, if you're going to spend $50 for a panda, I wouldn't pay $50 for those pandas cuz they're not going to be pandas for much longer.

My pom pom has a bent fin too! hmmm..... makes you wonder if maybe it COULD be genetic.....

I'd love for someone to figure out how to make the panda coloring more stable!

• Admin

Fiona was my Blue Oranda and with in about a month she started to change color on me...Blues are hard to keep there color and the Panda Telescope I had years ago did the same thing. There are just certain colors that are very hard to keep :(

compfi.jpg

Thanks for reply. We have a pretty decent aquarium store called "Aquarium Adventures" They brought in a whole 'herd' of pandas w a good helpin of orange as well as blk n wht, on them. I was hesitant to buy at $50. a pop. None where that GREAT. However my evil plan is to use the genetics to make my own "perfect" panda! I'll take some second hand show fish and breed them for better fish. So my pom pom has a bent fin. I dont think her fry would have bent fins. Anyway The pandas get BIG and that is just fun. I luv all my fish but I really like there lil baby fry! Also a sucker 4 bumpy face lumpy head!

If they have colors other than just black & white,they are considered Tri-Colors I'm pretty sure. A Panda is black & white only.

OMG fiona is BEAUTIFUL! I have a blue oranda and I am just hoping he turns out as pretty as her. Everytime I see the photos of her color change it just amazes me! :D

Ken from Dandy Orandas is correct. He can easily sell fish as pandas but does not do so because he is very honest. Most black and white moores and orandas do loose their coloring and fade to either all white or silver. He has some really nice black and white ryukins which appear to hold their color throughout thier lives. However the coloring is not in the traditional "panda coloring" that we see for a brief period of time in moores and orandas. The Panda color is only a color phase that will eventually fade, therefore there is no such thing as a panda oranda or panda anything. To call a fish such, would mean that it would need to retain its panda characteristics throughout its life

Guest super pom pom

Brutal truth! Ugh~ thanks though. I was hoping Ken was wrong and the new strains are stabled out. I bet they keep the good ones 4 selves! Why is blk n wht so difficult??? Maybe I will get a blk wht Koi. I gotta think more now.

*****I wuvs Fiona****Adorable face.

Brutal truth! Ugh~ thanks though. I was hoping Ken was wrong and the new strains are stabled out. I bet they keep the good ones 4 selves! Why is blk n wht so difficult??? Maybe I will get a blk wht Koi. I gotta think more now.

*****I wuvs Fiona****Adorable face.

It's not just black and white. Any different color is difficult to maintain. Koi will most definitely have a more stable color pattern, but just remember, koi are far too large to keep in aquariums. Koi are pond fish only.

Do the red n black orandas keep there color better??

Nope. Same thing. The red may stay, but it may lighten to orange and the black will most likely lessen and change to other colors or to just white.

Guest super pom pom

Not to beat the dead horse. If the fish is over 3 inches in body length. and what, like 2 years old isn't the color stable?? Assuming the light is sufficient?? I just want happy healthy fish but to keep nice colors is awesome. I am waiting for my j.smartt goldfish genetics book. I want to see what my brown pon pon will do w other colors. Maybe blue!?

Yeah, we often tell new Koko members that it's not such a great idea to buy a fish based on it's coloring, but to look instead for a fish personality you like. :)

• Admin

My Fiona was 4-5" long when I picked her up grew another 2-3" more after I had her. She started to switch colors on me about 6 months later, then you can see from her photos it was just time till she was almost all white.

:(