Clove Oil

lynda441

Okay, instructions for euthanasia using clove oil (and I'm abbreviating some of the instructions) state that you are to mix up the clove oil in water, then add the clove water to the container with your goldfish. Your goldfish should stop breathing and appear dead within minutes. If he doesn't, add more of the oil of cloves and keep your goldfish in the solution for ten minutes, then place him in a baggie or food container and put him in your freezer.

Okay, so the thing that I'm wondering is: does the clove oil not actually kill the fish? If it did, then why is the freezing necessary?

And, if the clove oil doesn't kill the fish and it's the freezing that does the actual killing, then why shouldn't one worry that the fish will awaken during the freezing process, even when the correct dosage is used?

I mean, there are a lot of variables that can affect freezing time. Amount of water used. Amount of items in the freezer. The quality and efficacy of the freezer and refrigerator's components. How many times the freezer door is opened.

More info please.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not done the actual chemistry math stuff (although I have actually distilled and produced my own Eugenol (clove oil)) but the principle is the same as euthanasia at a vets office. Eugenol is used as a local anesthetic, I believe it used to be used quite frequently in dental practices. With this method you should be adding enough eugenol that the animal goes to sleep to the point where all their organs eventually shut down. I've done this with 2 of my fish. They actually stop breathing and their little hearts stop beating.

So, if this is the case; that the clove oil itself is what kills the fish, and I hope that is the case cuz I don't want to think it's the freezing, then why do they say to freeze the fish after? I mean, if the fish is really dead, then shouldn't they just say "dispose of it in a preferred manner" or something like that?

I'm not questioning you, just the suggested process? And....... just overthinking this whole thing and being too nit-picky!

I don't know why they suggest it. I guess just to make sure. Even if it isn't completely dead the amount of oil you're putting in should be enough to anesthetize it for long enough that it won't wake up if you freeze it. I didn't hook mine up to a monitor to make sure 100% but they had definitely stopped breathing by the time I'm done.

Yeah, well I guess the breathing is pretty obvious...duh... and if you haven't seen them breath after 10 minutes, that's a pretty good sign they ain't gonna! And we all know animals gotta breathe to live! Thanks for helping me to think this through! Should've been more obvious that this! duh...... guess my mind's still somewhere else.... <sigh>

Any time I've had to do this the clove oil did the job. I usually leave them in the solution for about 1/2 -1 hour after all signs of breathing has stopped just to be sure. I've never had to freeze one as well. Sounds to me like whoever is having to do that isn't using enough clove oil to begin with.

I used it once. I used the whole bottle, like 5 ml to 1 litre of water. Very effective., worked within 20 seconds. I left fish in conatiner for 15 minutes and then I froze my fish for piece of mind that he wouldn't wake up. I don't care to know the science behind it - I just know freeze your friend.

Side note do this in a ventalated room and do not get any clove oil on your self! Do not use a conatiner that you want to use again, it will never smell the same. I had the stench of clove oil on my hands for 36-48 hours. I tried evry cleaner to clean my hands. Orange scrub, bleach, everything. I went to bed that night with that smell on my hands and it just kept reminding me of the euthanizing. Best way though, I prefer to give the fish the rightful death it deserves. Flushing is for the weak.

This was a rant but the subject arose

Hope this helps and there is a link KoKo wrote here somewhere, that I used. Do not use the alcohol method!

Here is the link

Best advice ever in that thread!

There is a relatively newer article in the D&D section in which one of our members advises against freezing. Something about ice crystals forming in the goldfishes brain. Clove oil is the most humane method. If you use it, you shouldn't have to freeze your goldie.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=32080

Edited by ryukin girl

Yes clove oil does kill the fish, it's the preferred method used in a lot of fish physiology studies today. I think the freezing is, as others have said, for peace of mind.

When I had to use it, I put in a bit more than the recommend amount (which was about 1mL per gallon to induce death) and the fish was gone within 10 seconds (he was already quite weak), I put a bit more oil in there after he was gone anyway, to be sure, but I didn't freeze. The only time I've frozen anything was when my apple snail died, because it can be so hard to tell if they're really dead and that was the recommended sure fire way.

Any time I've had to do this the clove oil did the job. I usually leave them in the solution for about 1/2 -1 hour after all signs of breathing has stopped just to be sure. I've never had to freeze one as well. Sounds to me like whoever is having to do that isn't using enough clove oil to begin with.

So, then, how much clove oil did you use? This is the instructions I found:

Fill a half gallon container or smaller with tank water, add your sick goldfish. Half fill a small jar with tank water, add one full teaspoon of clove oil and shake well until the water turns white. Add the clove water to the container with your goldfish.

I definitely would rather use too much and, as I hope to never use it again, I don't see any point in just not using the whole bottle anyway.....

Is there such a thing as too much clove oil? Is there a reason not to use too much?

That's what I was wondering.... why tell someone to use just barely enough? A person needs to be sure. They'd rather really overdose than not dose enough.

I used it once. I used the whole bottle, like 5 ml to 1 litre of water. Very effective., worked within 20 seconds. I left fish in conatiner for 15 minutes and then I froze my fish for piece of mind that he wouldn't wake up. I don't care to know the science behind it - I just know freeze your friend.

Side note do this in a ventalated room and do not get any clove oil on your self! Do not use a conatiner that you want to use again, it will never smell the same. I had the stench of clove oil on my hands for 36-48 hours. I tried evry cleaner to clean my hands. Orange scrub, bleach, everything. I went to bed that night with that smell on my hands and it just kept reminding me of the euthanizing. Best way though, I prefer to give the fish the rightful death it deserves. Flushing is for the weak.

That's what I'm thinking.... just use the whole bottle.....

And, thanks so much for the extra advice about the smell on the hands and the container. I would never have thought of that and it's traumatic enough to have to do something like this without having to be reminded of it for days to come.....

Well, Peaches is okay healthwise. She's actually eating and very healthy, but she's just deformed and disabled. I've run through everything and have decided that what happened to her was that, when I was so aggressively treating for the parasites, I guess she just couldn't tolerate it and I think she must've had a muscle contract and/or snapped her spine or something similar. Her whole back half of her body is curved off to the right. She lays on her side most of the time, but does come out and swim now and then, but everything is sideways and with little control. This has been going on since Christmas and I've been struggling so much about what to do for her. She may be healthy, but every day is a struggle for her and I just don't see how this is fair. I know I would hate to live like this. So, I think I've ultimately come to the decision that it's not a dignified life to live and she wouldn't have lived if she had been in the wild or any other natural situation and I have to give her a respectful death and let her be at peace.

So, then, how much clove oil did you use? This is the instructions I found:

Fill a half gallon container or smaller with tank water, add your sick goldfish. Half fill a small jar with tank water, add one full teaspoon of clove oil and shake well until the water turns white. Add the clove water to the container with your goldfish.

I definitely would rather use too much and, as I hope to never use it again, I don't see any point in just not using the whole bottle anyway.....

Here's how I do for the bigger fish. Read this somewhere but can't remember where now. It works very quickly. I've never had one struggle at all.

Add 3.7 ml clove oil (this is one bottle) to 1 tsp milk.

(I use an empty pill bottle)

shake well

Add to one gallon of water in a bucket/bowl stirring slowly to mix in.

You can already have the fish in the water (I do) or add it after.

Mine have simply slowed down more and more as the clove oil mix is added. They are gone within a few seconds of the full amount going in. I then wait at least 1/2 hour to an hour before removing the fish,just to be sure.

Sooooo..... clove oil is an anaesthetic; just like we're given before surgery?...... and we just fall off to sleep very peacefully? So...... there's no discomfort? No feelings of suffocation or choking or aarrrggghhh!!!! I know I need to do this regardless, but I guess I just need to know as much about this as I can...... <sigh> I'm not as hard-a** as I seem.... I'm actually such a mooshy-bear...... I hate this....

Sooooo..... clove oil is an anaesthetic; just like we're given before surgery?...... and we just fall off to sleep very peacefully? So...... there's no discomfort? No feelings of suffocation or choking or aarrrggghhh!!!! I know I need to do this regardless, but I guess I just need to know as much about this as I can...... <sigh> I'm not as hard-a** as I seem.... I'm actually such a mooshy-bear...... I hate this....

Mine never seemed to. No thrashing or struggling. They just slowed down and the breathing became less and less till it stopped. And yes,it's basically an overdose of an anesthetic.

good... the thrashing and struggling was one thing I was afraid would happen. Just slowing down is very good. I ordered the clove oil online. I am actually avoiding going to my mailbox because I'm afraid of finding it and knowing what it means I finally have to do...... again, I know I need to do this, but it's just so awful....

Exactly. It's actually being suggested that fish studies use it excluisevly for doing surgeries, etc, because the fish seem to 'go under' much easier than with other chemicals. They just drift off to sleep essentially.

good... the thrashing and struggling was one thing I was afraid would happen. Just slowing down is very good. I ordered the clove oil online. I am actually avoiding going to my mailbox because I'm afraid of finding it and knowing what it means I finally have to do...... again, I know I need to do this, but it's just so awful....

:( I'm so sorry, it really not an easy decision to make for any animal. But at least you know that it is a very peaceful end. :k055:

I am so sorry, Lynda. I do think you are making the right decision though if that makes you feel any better. Hopefully, you will never need future reference, but for anyone else out there who might need it you can get clove oil at Whole Foods.

Lynda, if it would help to have a friend over while you do this, I would be happy (not really the best word considering the circumstances, but you know what I mean) to come over and help.

oh ,I'm so sorry it has to come to this. Yea, i remember last week when you gave me the stand. I saw her was struggling with her life.So sad and unfair to a beauitful fish like her.Then again this is may be the best way to stop her pain and let her swims free :cry1 ...........let me know if you need any help