75g Set Up Question

Woohoo! Getting a 75g tank on Sunday! ?

I have aquaclear 110 & aquaclear 70 filters and an ario 4 ?bubbler. ?How much more aeration would you recommend for the tank? ?There are six goldfish going in there.

Also what kind of substrate do you like/recommend - my ph needs to be buffered up and I'd like the substrate to do that. ?In my 40g goldfish tank I've got a little bit of black sand under the rocks which buffers that tank well. ?(I changed it from a cichlid tank to a goldfish tank and never got all the sand out it - but it's not much and it settles under the rocks).

You need filters that well give you at least 750 gph. I don't even use bubblers with my 75 gallon by the time I added the canister and HOB to the tank I have more then enough water movement that bubbles were not needed.

I have very small gravel (flourite moslty) and some river rocks. Been removing the gravel though and plan to move more out this weekend. I have done both barebottom and just enough gravel to cover the bottom. I don't like sand in my tanks it gets all in the filters and can cause problems. But if you like it and have not had any problems and willing to risk your filters go for it.

I've got another aquaclear 110 around here so I'll use 2 of those which would give 856 gph so that should be good.

Decided to go with a thin layer of river rocks for the bottom. ?I read somewhere on here where someone placed a bag of crushed coral under their filter where the water flows over it in order to increase their ph - that sounds like a plan. ?My ph comes out of the tap at 7.6 but after a few days drops to 6.8.

You could put the crushed coral in the filter area where the media goes and it would work. Just put it in a bag of some sort. I have used cheep knee highs for it n mine. Now I just use shells and put them in the tank. Easier for me to get and do the same thing.

Good luck

I agree that if there is adequate surface agitation, then extra aeration from bubblers is kind of moot. Very little gaseous exchange takes place between the tiny bubbles from a bubbler in comparison to the churning surface of the aquarium water.

I think one advantage [maybe] to having bubblers if you use closed filters [canisters] is the canister uptake can suck up some of the bubbles and occassionally give the aerobic bacteria living in the filter a little extra burst of oxygen. But then, you have those annoying sprays of bubbles from the outlets that fog your water, kind of like new tapwater with all the tiny bubbles.

The bubbles are pretty, though! There's lots to be said for that. And if you have kids, the bubblers are always entertaining to them.

As long as the tank is not one of the columnar types and have the two Aquaclears which are fantastic at agitating the surface. then really very little use for a bubbler except the visual appeal.

BTW, isn't 75 g. a groovy size for a goldie tank? So many options as filtration and fish go. Big enough to have a real impact on the room and not terribly difficult to make the 50% water changes or to reach down to the bottm as needed.

Enjoy!

Edited by CometKeeper

I set up the new 75 g. yesterday! ?BTW, thanks for your suggestions. ?Yep, the 75 size is cool!?

Right now there are 2 goldfish in there to help cycle it through and I'll add the rest slowly after a couple of weeks. ?I took a 110 filter off of the 40g goldfish tank and put it on here and used some of the h20 out of both of my other goldfish tanks to help the cycling along. ?The other 110 was on one of my tropical tanks so I moved that over to the new tank but with the change in h2o temp and ph the good bacteria probably died...but at least there's a second 110 on the tank for now! :D

I found this tank on Craiglist for $75. ?It is under a year old and never used. ?The inside of it barely even had dust in it. ?I bought a stand for it which took a couple of hours to assemble and am happy with the way that looks. ?Once I get this decorated I'll post pics - still undecided between real plants or the silk ones I've not had for very long. I never should have looked at the aquascaping threads with pics!

I posted a pic in the tank pictures section. ?

I completely caved in and added a few more of my goldfish into that tank. ?Had a feeling I couldn't hold out for long on that issue! ?But I'm on top of it so they should be fine during the cycling process.