Senegal Bichir In A 30 Gallon?

Sup Fish Keepers!

I've been thinking and planning about getting a Senegal Bichir, I just can't resist them! I was planning to put mine in a 30 gallon tank, but soon got doubts about whether or not if such a big fish will fit in a small tank. I do plan to have the whole tank to the Senegal, so no other fish will be added AT ALL. Please help.

I haven't bought the takn yet, however I did find a tank at the pet store with the following dimensions:

36"x18"x12"

Thanks!

FishFan8

A tank with those dimensions is a 30 gallon breeder tank. It would be better to get a 40 gallon breeder tank which has the same foot print but 17 inches high. I don't know how fast these fish grow but a 40 gallon breeder is going to be to small for a 20 inch fish. A 75 gallon tank would be a better choice if you have the room. Breeder tanks are odd sizes so they cost more. So a 75 gallon aquarium might not cost much more than a breeder tank. If you don't have room for a 75 gallon tank get a 40 gallon breeder instead the 30 gallon breeder tank.

Na, Bichirs get way to big for a 30 gallon. How about waiting til you can get a more suitable tank? Even if you keep it by itself, you could end up with an empty 30 gallon and a bichir on the floor. They're calm, but excellent jumpers, so get a tight lid when you do.