Aquarium Lighting

I'm a waste not/want not kind of girl, so I don't really change my florescent bulbs until they burn out. Is this a bad idea? Do you really need to change them once a year.

I have live plants, but hearty ones. Anachris, a crypt, java fern, hornwort.

Thanks!

I never used to change mine but a couple of weeks ago I decided to do it. I bought the exact same bulb for my tropical tank that I'd bought back in June and WOW what a difference! So I guess for a planted tank it does matter, mine seems much, much brighter will the new bulb.

They are expensive for sure. I'm mad because I actually opted for a cheaper light for my goldfish tank and I really regret it, the old light was much brighter and made the tank look so nice, now it seems dull to me. I guess you get what you pay for.

I have T5s and change them yearly, and can see a difference when I add the new bulbs. I have live plants also, and can see a difference when the new bulbs are added. The only thing I have noticed with the T5s is that they seem to encourage algae growth more. ;)

hah! I'm taking a lighting class right now. Certainly not an expert about lamps (light bulbs) or fixtures, but I know more than I did. Lamps will degrade over time. There are specs listed somewhere for your particular lamp. Maybe on your box, maybe online, but these specs should give a "lamp life." This doesn't mean that they WILL die completely by this time. It just means that it's an average of the lamps tested. All lamps are different, so you can't apply an overall change time to all lights. But, the light produced will lessen over time. This will only matter, however, if you have plants that require high light levels. You can research the required light levels for your plants. I know those numbers are out there somewhere. I would only worry if you have high light level plants. And besides, the little fish monster will probably eat them faster than they'll die from lack of light! lol!

My lights are two years old... oh, okay, maybe a year and a half, but, as far as I'm concerned, are still perfectly fine. Oh, I'm sure if I were to put in new ones, I'd see a big difference, but, I'm keeping these lights until they either burn out or get so dim it's un-ignorable. Is that a word?