Oscar Is Sick

jody

DIGI0128.jpg

Not the best picture but it will have to do for now.

found her stuck between the filter intake and the side of the tank this morning. she must have been struggling for hours. the side of her body is all tore up. scales missing. she bottom sat for most of the day, now acting fine.

I will post with N,N,A, PH after dinner, been away alll day...

temp - 73F

27 Gallon running for 4 months, two filters, penguin 200 and tetra 3o gallon size(total gph 400)

change water 2-3 times week depending on levels, usually 80-90% WC in every two weeks , 50% every 2-3 days approx

3 fish

- black moor baby 2 inch

-telescope 3-4 inch

-sick black moor 5-6 inch

all sizes are with fantail.

prime

just addeed melafix 30 mins ago

feed veggies, shrimp, blood worms, pellets

baby black moor added 3-4 weeks ago

melafix just added

see picture for wound

bottom sitting, sometimes piping(piping common as has gill damage)

will post levels soon...

I've had good results with healing injuries like that by doing just what you're doing, keeping the water parameters good and adding melafix. I would suggest just keeping an eye on it for signs of infection, but I wouldn't medicate or anything right now. Hopefully Oscar heals fast :)

Oh dear, Oscar has fought so many battles! It seems there is something we haven't caught here as he is so floaty and weak by the sounds. What exactly have your fish been treated with so far ..prazi? (and the new fish?) Has it always only been Oscar having probs swimming?

Hi Trinket :)

The new fish was not treated with anything, not even salt. I was going to start salt but I was giving Peepers some time to get used to his/her surroundings as it was bullyed at the LFS by the other moors. i got lazy and then my other LFS said if it has been two wekks without any signs then everything should be fine. I had cross contaminated a few times by mistake so I said what the heck and added Peepers. No poblems that I can tell.

Just Oscar with the problems. She can't really see or swim very well. Sometimes lays on the bottom. She goes through spells: real good for a couple days then bad for a day and so on.

Treated two days with melafix. I am away from home for the night. I am looking at doing a huge WC when I get home tomorrow. How do I replace the melafix? Or is it just that, do the math and replace what I take?

I wouldn't use melafix on a fish with gill problems unless they have really been beaten up. How bad are her sides, just missing scales or any bleeding? 0.1% salt and a large water change if its just scales missing perhaps? Also ammonia is more dangerous at high pH and may have something to do with her gill damage so try and get your cycle back asap or consider ammo chips in a QT for Oscar on his own. If that were poss, perhaps the filtration could be weaker in a QT so she is not sucked around..

K thanks so much Trinket :D

I have news that might change some of this advice. I am moving the tank to my office. The ph there is 7.5 I tested high range and normal range and it looks like it is 7.5 bang on. How do I move them? I am thinking of bringing 5-7 gallons of tank water with me and then filling the tank up with that when I get to the new place and then add new water to the new tank a bit at a time. What do you think?

Her side is just missing scales, no bleeding. They haven't seemed to heal at all yet :(

Will bring salt to 0.1% tonight at the new place but will wait for the good to go from you :)

Transferring tanks? most important thing to salvage is the media and it is delicate. You will need a battery operated air wand to keep the filter media in a bucket alive. As long as you can transfer the media and the ornaments (muck an all, dont clean them yet) you should be okay for cycle. The water is for the pH adjustment (slightly down) so I would take some tank water too to mix, however since the change is only 3 points down ABOVE 7 I dont think you have to freak, its not going to be toooo bad. But yes, some water will help ease things. Ooh fun to have your tank at work :)

Okay I have the battery air stone, runs on two D batteries. I am about 10-15 min ride

It will be super cool to have my baby's here at the office. I am here 16 hours a day and I cant be away from them for that long.

Will transfer all media in bucket including marbles, ornaments filter pads, etc in some tank water.

I'll let ya know how it turns out and I hope the 0.05% salt will help :hmm

thanks Imo :)

HPIM0136.jpg

Latest picture of her side. It hasent changed(gotton worse, gotton better) since she got the wound.

No meds or salt in tank at the moment.

Just moved tank across towm, PH is 7.5

Was 8.0 at old place.

Should I add Melafix? Salt(0.1%)?

Levels:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 2

PH - 7.5

I just had a similar injury with my black moor (thread title badly injured fish) I salted and added melafix and within one week there were basically no signs of any injury whatsoever. At 2 weeks you couldn't even tell Nigel was ever hurt.... so yea I would recommend melafix and salt.

Jody..I see you are getting awesome advice from Imo...I really hope Oscar feels better..Cross my fingers...

I feel bad I am not on here these days..Crazy moving and selling things...soooo tired..cannot get enough sleep..

Neways..I really hope Oscar feels better...take care... :heart

Thanks for the advice fish wisp.

Melafix:

Did you just follow the recommended Melafix dosing?

I cant remove my carbon and I do WC more frequently than the Melafix bottle says, I think the instructions are for tropicals.

Salt:

what % did you keep them at?

I am thinking about 0.1% salt add then 12-15ml of Melafix each day. for my 27 gallon(25.5 to water line)

What do you think?

Hi Sunshine. Thanks for caring about Oscar. Don't worry if you cant be here as much as you want, we all have life happening. When we align online the better, if not then it is for the best. Lately I have been so busy, I am just getting advice here. Great thing about this forum - awesome reference community of goldy lovers who care about their fish and owners.

Good luck with all that you are doing :)

I actually didn't really follow the melafix dosing at all. With my filters I am able to remove the carbon however, and I would think if you aren't able to remove carbon perhaps you would need to dose more stringently (in order to prevent from the carbon simply removing the medicine). I used the recommended dosing on the first day and than I added another dose on day 3 and day 5.... I kinda felt using so much for 7 days without a wc was overkill. Also with the salt what level do you normally keep your tank at when it is healthy? I wasn't overly precise with the salting but I think I probably kept the tank between .2%-.3% for a week.

Hope this helps.

-Jonathan

yeah I am salting to .1% tonight and hit em with a dose of melafix. currently there is nothing in there. I just filled the tank last night, so she is fresh at the momnet.

I'll keep ya'll posted :)

Thanks jon!

sorry not to get back, been out of town ...melafix and low salt is a fine place to start. If she doesnt look any better we can think again Jody.

Pretty much back to normal. The scales are almost all healed up. Melafix is out of the tank now. I have done huge water changes and used the melafix to heal her. Thanks all to healped(chrissy, fish wisp, trinket, and sunshine) may good levels bless your tanks :)

I'm very happy for you and Oscar :):Congrats:

P.S. I love how Oscar is a female, two of my favorite goldies are my Frederick and Seymour (both of whom are female/names given when I couldn't tell) but I would never change their names and I think they are quite befitting. ;)